Barrel porting vs. muzzle break vs. suppressor ?

HunterMann

So I am thinking about re-barreling one of my Ruger 77's to 300 Win. Mag. Since I am getting older, I also thought that should consider some kind of porting to mitigate some of the recoil. It would mostly be a hunting rifle although I would like to try some long range shooting as well.

What are the current ideas on porting vs. muzzle brakes vs. suppressors

Breaks are great because, unless you have it permanently attached to the barrel you can remove them and put a thread protector on the barrel, or if you have the right suppressor, use a break that allows you to quick twist the suppressor on, so you get the best of both worlds.
Porting is an option that will work to reduce recoil, but it doesn't allow you any options.

Just suppress it. Takes care of slightly less recoil than a good brake, but it also takes care of the concussive force a brake causes that is a major factor in people developing a flinch. It's not just pure recoil. Also that sound goes through the bones in your head/jaw and still causes hearing damage. Ear plugs can't do anything to stop it. If you go shoot it at the range a bunch, you'll go home with a headache.

Honestly I'd recommend going to 308win bare rifle before putting a brake on a 300winmag. I hate brakes so much.

I had a number of magnum rifles and several pistols mag-na-ported back when brakes were not so prevalent. While porting did reduce recoil by maybe 20%, my goal was to reduce muzzle rise to allow for a quicker follow up shot. It does that in spades. Porting did not increase the noise level of my rifles.

After shooting rifles with brakes, I would not consider having a rifle ported. Then again, 40 years on, I'm more focused on recoil reduction and being able to call most of my shots.

I had a number of magnum rifles and several pistols mag-na-ported back when brakes were not so prevalent. While porting did reduce recoil by maybe 20%, my goal was to reduce muzzle rise to allow for a quicker follow up shot. It does that in spades. Porting did not increase the noise level of my rifles.

After shooting rifles with brakes, I would not consider having a rifle ported. Then again, 40 years on, I'm more focused on recoil reduction and being able to call most of my shots.
A friend has a 375 H&H magnaported and I shot his. I like it. I chosed to put a bake on mine and kept the front iron sight. Magnaporting is permanent. Brakes are remvable. Suppressors are great, I have rifles with brakes from 22-250 to 375H&H. And suppressors for 556 and 300WBY. I can remove my brake any time and add the suppressor, Try some and decide.

I would still wear hearing protection with a suppressed 300WM. In fact, the only time I dont wear hearing protection with a suppressor is when shooting subsonic loads, but I think I should even then
I don't wear hearing protection hunting suppressed.

So I am thinking about re-barreling one of my Ruger 77's to 300 Win. Mag. Since I am getting older, I also thought that should consider some kind of porting to mitigate some of the recoil. It would mostly be a hunting rifle although I would like to try some long range shooting as well.

What are the current ideas on porting vs. muzzle brakes vs. suppressors
My take, in order of precedence:

1. Suppressor
2. Muzzle brake (no radial).

Wear hearing protection, regardless.