Portable shooting Benches

Anybody have any recomendations?

This is a tough request. I think it all depends on your standards for rigidity. Almost any bench will work for 1" groups. But if you and your rifle/ammo are capable of shooting 1/4 MOA, a solid rigid bench is imperative. There is a reason the bench rest crowd shoots off of solid concrete benches......

I've gone through many iterations of building a solid portable shooting bench - each better than the one before. Most have become workbenches instead of shooting benches because they just didn't measure up to my needs. My most recent bench actually worked fairly well, but you need a football team to move it. So it's permanently installed at my range out back now.

My next bench will have a solid welded aluminum triangular box frame with cross bracing and an adjustable rear leg for leveling. It will have a removable top made from two layers of 3/4 inch plywood dressed one side for the top. The top will have some kind of 3 point cinching mechanism to attach it solidly to the frame. That's the plan........

The only commercial bench I've ever used that was even remotely usable (for my needs) is the Stucky bench others here have already mentioned. But it will cost you.....

My preference for PD hunting is a rotating bench. I've owned several and have friends who have purchased several from big box stores.
DOA benches were used at a guided PD hunt I went on two years ago. I was very impressed with the DOA bench and bought one. Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• 7BEF0934-BE2B-4217-BE72-F208B37E23BF.jpeg
    7BEF0934-BE2B-4217-BE72-F208B37E23BF.jpeg
    678.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
IMHO, Stukeys benches are the best portable non swiveling bench on the market
But, might I suggest a non portable solution that cost $180.00 to build. I built three of these and mounted one on a small home built trailer. I drag it around behind a Kubota ATV to different distances
from my target setup.

Attachments

• 720EB595-D548-4D69-994B-E2F8D0433EA4.jpeg
    720EB595-D548-4D69-994B-E2F8D0433EA4.jpeg
    663.2 KB · Views: 185
I second the vote for knotholedesigns table. Folds easily, sturdy, put in my Kawasaki Mule and head to the field behind my house. Set the bench up, chrono and scope on tripods. Quick, easy, stable. Nicely made, reasonably priced. Mine is 3+/- yrs old.

I bit the bullet and purchased a Stukeys last fall. Really pricey, but first truly portable bench I have ever shot from that was legitimately bench rest stable. They're very nice. Buy once cry once, I hope.

I spent quite a bit of time several years ago looking for portable shooting benches. My criteria list is probably obvious... portable, less than 80 pounds, easy to setup/take down, and stable.
I stumbled upon Stukeys shooting table on the inter web. His design is great!... especially the floating nut/leg joint. It is a solid leg to to table joint that does not wiggle. He has tons of pictures showing his design. Check it out.

The price is a little more than I wanted to pay so I made two (one for a hunting buddy) in my shop coping his design. I made a couple of changes and went with 3/16" angle instead of 1/8" he uses and I doubled the table top thickness with two layers of 3/4" Russian birch instead of one layer. It checks all the boxes for me.

I guess I'm not the only one to copy the Stukey, but I went with smaller pipe for legs...... But adding a shelf underneath is a good place to keep ammo out of the sun, or to cool rifles. Also for leg storage during transport....

I used inch and a quarter OSB for the top, on mine. I've since covered that with a scrap of Corian when the OSB started to weather. The corian is cooler in the sun, and way more weather-resistant than wood.

IMG_2521_zpskgesjkjl.jpg

IMG_0384_zpsxp9kj1ab.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsw6gy1skm.jpg

IMG_0382_zpseizwnban.jpg

IMG_0381_zps0wkyh8yh.jpg

Last edited:
I built mine . I have some pics during the build if you want to see them .

the leg brackets are the tricky part for most guys . this guy sells them .
Hello jimbires ,

Your shooting bench looks exactly like mine , (other than the color) , that I built back in 2010 .

There was a thread , "Wood Bench/Table Plans" that was started August 27 , 2014 , here on Long Range Hunting .com , in which several different members posted photos and building information about shooting benches that we had built .

A total of 4 different benches were posted on that thread , with photos and information on each .

I posted photos , building plans , and assembly information about the bench that I built and still use , there on that thread . Total cost for building mine was less than $100.
I have built a total of 6 of these benches , giving 5 away to my friends .

Does anybody here know how to go back to that thread and post , and move the photos and info for my bench to this thread ????

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

Hello jimbires ,

Your shooting bench looks exactly like mine , (other than the color) , that I built back in 2010 .

There was a thread , "Wood Bench/Table Plans" that was started August 27 , 2014 , here on Long Range Hunting .com , in which several different members posted photos and building information about shooting benches that we had built .

A total of 4 different benches were posted on that thread , with photos and information on each .

I posted photos , building plans , and assembly information about the bench that I built and still use , there on that thread . Total cost for building mine was less than $100.
I have built a total of 6 of these benches , giving 5 away to my friends .

Does anybody here know how to go back to that thread and post , and move the photos and info for my bench to this thread ????

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

Hi DMP25-06 , I don't remember for sure where I saw this bench , but it was on one of these forums . it was a very inexpensive build . it is a nice stable shooting bench . just guessing , the 2014 time frame seems about right . maybe you could search back through " your content " , I'm not sure how far that goes back though .

EDIT TO ADD ;
my build pictures are from July & August 2013

Last edited:
I found that if we ( members ) go to the "SEARCH" feature , at the top right corner of the brown bar at top of the LRH page , click on "SEARCH" and then when it opens , type "Wood Bench/Table Plans" into the search window , next to Everywhere , and then click on the brown search block , that that thread will open .
Once it opens , it will take you to a page that will show the thread name , date of thread , total number of posts , and number of views . Point your cursor at that thread name , click on it , and the older thread will open , and you can view the other benches from that thread date , August 27 , 2014.

At least it has done this , so far .

DMP25-06

Last edited:
I found that if we ( members ) go to the "SEARCH" feature , at the top right corner of the brown bar at top of the LRH page , click on "SEARCH" and then when it opens , type "Wood Bench/Table Plans" into the search window , next to Everywhere , and then click on the brown search block , that that thread will open .
Once it opens , it will take you to a page that will show the thread name , date of thread , total number of posts , and number of views . Point your cursor at that thread name , click on it , and the older thread will open , and you can view the other benches from that thread date , August 27 , 2014.

At least it has done this , so far .

DMP25-06

your bench sure does look like the one I built

here you go .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.