Dream portable shooting bench

http://i1194.photobucket.chttp://i1...nps114/Grinderandshootingbenchprojects013.jpg
I wedged and flanged very similar to you Joseph on my front two legs. I was going to go for the same design you did to start with but I wanted to be able to attach the seat. My idea was to be able to get everything together to get it out to the shooting position, but I am still going to have to make areas for the legs to attach on the bottomside or something along that line for transporting. But the good new is it is very stable like this. No not like a concrete bench but stable enough to test loads out to 200 no problem and ultimately to use in the field on prairie dogs for several hundred I think. I am excited to keep trying it and making improvements on late additions. I can build one in a few hours, not counting the top glue drying, probably just over two hours. And cost is around $100 but I bought enough of most parts to do several when I bought so that may bring the cost down.

I am trying to upload the pics directly to make easier viewing. I am hoping to get to use this bench when it cools down a bit on some local prairie dogs. So far it has worked very well but I would like the top a couple of inches longer and to spend more time rounding the sharper edges. I have done that some since these photos and I have additional tops I may switch out.

Attachments

• Grinder and shooting bench projects 026.jpg
    Grinder and shooting bench projects 026.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Grinder and shooting bench projects 028.jpg
    Grinder and shooting bench projects 028.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Grinder and shooting bench projects 029.jpg
    Grinder and shooting bench projects 029.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Grinder and shooting bench projects 014.jpg
    Grinder and shooting bench projects 014.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Grinder and shooting bench projects 016.jpg
    Grinder and shooting bench projects 016.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18
Roy, I like your design too. Our ground is not too level out here though and that is why I went the way I did. The tripod base will find solid and the top will spin where ever you want it and then drop the down riggers to level the top. The seat spins around the center leg as well as rotates. Adjustments are quick and easy even on pretty unlevel ground. The bench is stable even in pretty heavy winds. I went back and looked at my notes from that day and that was gusting into the 30's and the two shooters in the photos were grouping pretty well. I have shot off of it and been very happy with the performance. I hope to do some 600 + yd shooting off of it this weekend. It has been no problem out to the 430 + so far.

I don't have any pictures but I used to have a co-worker and hunting buddy back in the early 1990s while stationed in Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ that had a home made clay thrower and shooting bench mounted on his Jeep's hitch. It was nicely done and very handy. :D

Last edited:
Feenix, That is a great Idea too. We were shooting 800 Friday with a 13 mph cross wind off of the bench. It was rock solid. We could have left it in the back of my pickup and gotten a little more elevation but then you get the swaying of the truck. Prone would have been great but with the contour of the ground we needed the little bit of hight of the bench. But the bench performed flawlessly and any misses had nothing to do with it. It let me introduce my buddy, that is supposed to be getting one of these, to long range shooting. He finally gets it. I see a new rifle in his future along with finishing his bench now, LOL.

Devins we put scissors jacks under our truck to prevent swaying from the wind, wreckin yards are full of them. They are great at leveling the bed of the truck as well.

That is a great idea! I am waiting for it to cool down a little before going after some local prairie dogs so that may be a good way to go there and I have an umbrella ready to mount so we may be fixed up.

Rock solid under all conditions so far. For Specialty handguns I use in the manner the rifle sits since I typically do not use rifles. The notch cutout is for rifle shooters. The seat attaches to the leg and depending on application or shooter I just put the leg where it is needed.

Because of this bench I let my membership at the range expire and just shoot at the beach!

001-8.jpg

005.jpg

Neal

Last edited:
hammertyme thats a great looking bench. Could we get a few photos from the underside to see how you attached the legs and seat. Mine is simlar to yours except it uses folding banquet table legs and an adjustable heighth sliding seat made from a light weight aluminum bathtub entry chair.

I will see if I can find a few minutes today to take that picture Ken.

There is a light square tube frame the bench top is bolted too. It was welded up with 3 angled bayonetes. The legs slip on and if one wishes one can use the 5/16 bolts/t-handles to set the legs. I do not because the design is stable without because of the leg angle.
Each leg has an internal slip bayonet to lengthen or shorten based upon need. Also locks with a set screw.

The seat slides up and down and locks with the same set screw setup.

Actually you can go here and see a picture.
Shooting Benches

Neal

Hey got to use mine on the prairie dogs this morning. Worked great! I was actually able to set it in the truck bed, I was on private land and shooting at a down angle with good back stops. I am not sure I would change anything other than the length of the top. I have some longer ones ready for the next round of builds. Let me know if anyone wants measurements and plans.

Oh and the seat swivelling and rotaing on the axis is great and its adjustable in height and distance from the center post.

Devins, if I remember correctly, you are using one of the nicer bench rest type tripods, they eat up a lot of bench length. Some of the guys around here put a piano hinge flap on the front of there bench's, that way they can fold it up and make it all fit in the back of their car or add length without it being more than they want to handle. They work pretty good as long as the BR tripod has 2 legs on the solid part of the bench.

There are pictures of my wife using it on page 3 of the thread. I could think of how you could do that and use angle iron and a piece of strap to rotate out under the piece one it its hinged up. I have the top on the one where Micci was shooting and then I have the rest of the 4 x 8 sheet that was glued together to make more tops too. I can make them larger or smaller to fit the purpose. We shot the 794 yards last week off of it and then this weekend I shot p-dogs off of it and it works very well. rock solid and adapts to most terrains. It could be made lighter by using only a 3/4 inch peice of pywood but I have had no trouble getting where ever I need it so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.