Dream portable shooting bench

Devins good plywood is hard to find at an affordable price. I had to glue and screw 2 pieces of 5/8 inch together for a 1 1/4 inch thickness. My wife and I shoot mainly off of bags and bi-pods, our benches are only 36 1/2 X 32 1/2. The biggest inconvenience for us is having to adjust the chair heigth, even just pushing 4 buttons to change heighth slows things down. for years I've been wanting a fast adjust chair.

Ken, In the pictures you will see that I forgot to make mine pivot up or swing up for transport but it does still adjust height, spin on axis and the seat swivels, as well as moves closer or farther from the center post. If I had had more time when gathering the materials I would have gotten a piece of steel that fit the center post more accurately. But what I did was place steel rods in the tube that connects the seat as spacers to take up slack. Now the tube fits the post accurately and it only takes a simple raising the seat to the height you want and then bring the lock up under it and snug the set screw. It will then rotate around the center post as you need it. Lowering is just as fast.

I used CD 3/4 plywood with birch 1/2" on top to give it a nice smooth surface. I just happened on the trolling motor seat when I was picking up my swivel. I was just going to use a round piece of plywood and cover it. For the time it saved me it was well worth it. It is much more comfortable and secure. I had seen them later on Sportsmans Guide for $13.00. I can't make a round one for that and it really does work well.

I am a little over 6 foot and weigh 235 in the shower and I need the legs the length that they are. If a person does not weigh as much they could probably shorten them up a little. Or if you were sure you could always position your seat over a leg, but I want to be able to swivel without thinking about that.

I will shoot p-dogs again this weekend Lord willing and see if there is anything else to do but so far it has been sand the edges of the top more. And for target shooting I may make a longer top out of the rest of my material for using a front rest in stead of bipod and or bags.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.