Policing our own…classifieds

@johnnyk is the seller. If the mods don't want me posting specific names, please delete this post and leave the thread. I believe it is helpful and a good reminder to both buyers and sellers and anybody who questions whether or not they should stand behind their sale.
You need to put it in the seller/buyer review. That's what I look are before doing any trading/buying/selling

I dont know about the rest of you, but selling something on here seems to cause me the most stress. I always try and "over" post information and pictures, but I would never want to be thought of as a scammer in any way. Our good reputation is really all we have. Although I don't believe selling items should be the primary goal on here, It is nice to be able to help people out on occasion, or clean out items that aren't used anymore. I have had a dozen or more transactions since I joined, and fortunately everyone I have dealt with has been awesome. I have had the occasional "I'll take it" and then never heard from them again, but at least nobody was out anything.
Ha! I'm the same way. I'll even download the tracking and watch it to make sure it gets delivered quickly. If there's a delay in transport I'll send the guy a note and let him know. Not sure why, but it stresses me out too. I always want everyone to be happy, probably because we're a community here and I want a good name.

I always try and look at transaction history before buying, but just so happened that I needed a Die yesterday and a new user with no history had the exact thing I needed. I took a chance on him and everything seems to be going flawlessly and I dont mind taking the occasional leap of faith, but I definitely wouldn't on a large purchase, I try to limit it around $50 or so. If i do have to learn a lesson at least its not a big one…lol

Ha! I'm the same way. I'll even download the tracking and watch it to make sure it gets delivered quickly. If there's a delay in transport I'll send the guy a note and let him know. Not sure why, but it stresses me out too. I always want everyone to be happy, probably because we're a community here and I want a good name.
Nailed it, I do the exact same thing.. and send them a msg on the day it was delivered..

And @Ucsdryder I agree that you should definitely out this person and post the details on his transaction history. Unfortunately this thread will get lost over time and ppl may not see it, but if its attached to his name it will save others from the same fate. Kick rocks is not the correct answer, at a min the transaction should have just been undone or credit you the $100, based on a false advertisement of new in the box! I wish ppl would not do that unless its truly in an unopened box. If its open its used, no matter how much you want to fluff it up. It can be in excellent shape, but its not new!

I dont know about the rest of you, but selling something on here seems to cause me the most stress. I always try and "over" post information and pictures, but I would never want to be thought of as a scammer in any way. Our good reputation is really all we have. Although I don't believe selling items should be the primary goal on here, It is nice to be able to help people out on occasion, or clean out items that aren't used anymore. I have had a dozen or more transactions since I joined, and fortunately everyone I have dealt with has been awesome. I have had the occasional "I'll take it" and then never heard from them again, but at least nobody was out anything.
Selling stresses me out as well. I have so much excess gear that I hesitate to sell because I fear asking too much for an item or having the buyer be dissatisfied with the transaction. Last year, I had my young nephew go through boxes of excess bullet and complete a count. Turns out I sold a box to a member which contained bullets that had been seated and pulled with significant scaring. I apologized profusely, refunded their money and paid for return shipping. It was the right thing to do, but I still felt like a heel.

And @Ucsdryder I agree that you should definitely out this person and post the details on his transaction history. Unfortunately this thread will get lost over time and ppl may not see it, but if its attached to his name it will save others from the same fate. Kick rocks is not the correct answer, at a min the transaction should have just been undone or credit you the $100, based on a false advertisement of new in the box! I wish ppl would not do that unless its truly in an unopened box. If its open its used, no matter how much you want to fluff it up. It can be in excellent shape, but its not new!
@johnnyk was the seller

Selling stresses me out as well. I have so much excess gear that I hesitate to sell because I fear asking too much for an item or having the buyer be dissatisfied with the transaction. Last year, I had my young nephew go through boxes of excess bullet and complete a count. Turns out I sold a box to a member which contained bullets that had been seated and pulled with significant scaring. I apologized profusely, refunded their money and paid for return shipping. It was the right thing to do, but I still felt like a heel.
Yeah but unlike the seller in this OP, you did the right thing and made it right by the person that trusted you. And I would bet that if that person was here right now, he would have nothing but positive things to say about the situation.

I went round & round with a member here who sold me a night vision device that was "still in the box" and that he never used. When the optic arrived, it was dirty, had a dented ocular bell, had one ring crudely ground off and was missing a part. I immediately took photos and contacted the seller within 10min of opening the box.

The guy then admits that he bought it second hand from a friend in another state. He claimed that he never opened the box and that his friend would never ship him an optic in that condition. He told me that I was lying about the condition despite the fact that he could see the date of delivery, on the delivery confirmation, and I contacted him at 9am on that day and sent him the images. He refused to allow a return claiming that I had "buyers remorse".

Seeing that I was stuck with this deal I ordered the new parts needed but didn't mount the optic as I was continuing to argue for my money back. After numerous emails he relented and agreed to return my money less the shipping. I shipped it back at my expense and added the new parts which I ordered from the manufacturer. In the end it cost me $150 for the parts and shipping but I got the initial cost refunded.

Another hard lesson learned.

I'm always leery of people selling things for their friends or family. The lrh member might have great feedback, but if they don't have the item in hand then you aren't benefiting from their diligence.

I'm always leery of people selling things for their friends or family. The lrh member might have great feedback, but if they don't have the item in hand then you aren't benefiting from their diligence.
I've sold stuff for people before. I always tell the buyer you're dealing with me and my name isn't worth a few bucks so deal with confidence. I'm a member of another forum that won't let you sell for a friend…I guess I can see why!

Same. I'm far more stressed selling something and making sure the buyer is satisfied than I am about ever losing my money. I sort of subscribe to the idea that my reputation is more valuable than my money.

You need to leave a "seller" feedback for them, the feedback system is crucial, doesn't look like you have left feedback for him yet. The risk of course is when leaving negative feedback you might earn retaliatory negative feedback, but I don't know what else you can do. This forum in my experience has the best members and is my favorite, largely a credit to Len I think. Unfortunately this can happen even on this forum and I don't think I would expect Len or any admin necessarily to get involved, they can't really do much more than you, other than ban said member from the forum, but that doesn't get your 100 bucks back. The best way to minimize these issues and to keep it honest is to leave honest feedback. Might be helpful to screen shot and save the original posting, and his message to you FWIW, as he can delete all of that and pretend it never happened.

I know it stinks that you'll end up losing 100 bucks on this deal, be thankful it wasn't 700, but also remember that while you can't do anything to get that back, 100 bucks doesn't change your life, meanwhile if the other party did as you say, they sold their integrity for 100 bucks, most of us would say integrity is worth far more than that.

You need to leave a "seller" feedback for them, the feedback system is crucial, doesn't look like you have left feedback for him yet. The risk of course is when leaving negative feedback you might earn retaliatory negative feedback, but I don't know what else you can do. This forum in my experience has the best members and is my favorite, largely a credit to Len I think. Unfortunately this can happen even on this forum and I don't think I would expect Len or any admin necessarily to get involved, they can't really do much more than you, other than ban said member from the forum, but that doesn't get your 100 bucks back. The best way to minimize these issues and to keep it honest is to leave honest feedback. Might be helpful to screen shot and save the original posting, and his message to you FWIW, as he can delete all of that and pretend it never happened.

I know it stinks that you'll end up losing 100 bucks on this deal, be thankful it wasn't 700, but also remember that while you can't do anything to get that back, 100 bucks doesn't change your life, meanwhile if the other party did as you say, they sold their integrity for 100 bucks, most of us would say integrity is worth far more than that.
Not worried about reciprocated feedback. I have pictures and a timeline to prove everything. Not to mention his comments that "he didn't look at it that closely" and then "you get what you pay for." I'll leave him feedback. Was slow playing it hoping he might come to his senses.