Policing our own…classifieds

I dont know about the rest of you, but selling something on here seems to cause me the most stress. I always try and "over" post information and pictures, but I would never want to be thought of as a scammer in any way. Our good reputation is really all we have. Although I don't believe selling items should be the primary goal on here, It is nice to be able to help people out on occasion, or clean out items that aren't used anymore. I have had a dozen or more transactions since I joined, and fortunately everyone I have dealt with has been awesome. I have had the occasional "I'll take it" and then never heard from them again, but at least nobody was out anything.

Same. I'm far more stressed selling something and making sure the buyer is satisfied than I am about ever losing my money. I sort of subscribe to the idea that my reputation is more valuable than my money.

One thing is for sure, obtaining a positive buyer feedback is way easier than obtaining a positive seller feedback. This is the way it should be, but I agree with you guys that you do have to work a lot harder when you're the seller than you do when you're the buyer. As a buyer all you have to do is give money in a reasonable amount of time, that's it. Plus in my experience sellers are far more likely to leave feedback for buyers than the reverse.

Mostly I trust all the regular posters here. There are a lot of new people here now and they may be as honest as anyone else but I have nothing to base my trust on. Most of the people that sell at stupid high prices here seem to have very low post counts. That also makes me skeptical about dealing with newer posters.

I've sold all small items here, mostly dies, bullets, brass and things like that. I ship items out the day the deal is struct whenever possible. I typically don't get payment until sometime after the buyer receives the item. I'm good with that because all the buyers have been straight up people that I wasn't worried about.

But it's wise to use all due caution when selling expensive items because your recourse is limited if you get burned.

Mostly I trust all the regular posters here. There are a lot of new people here now and they may be as honest as anyone else but I have nothing to base my trust on. Most of the people that sell at stupid high prices here seem to have very low post counts. That also makes me skeptical about dealing with newer posters.

I've sold all small items here, mostly dies, bullets, brass and things like that. I ship items out the day the deal is struct whenever possible. I typically don't get payment until sometime after the buyer receives the item. I'm good with that because all the buyers have been straight up people that I wasn't worried about.

But it's wise to use all due caution when selling expensive items because your recourse is limited if you get burned.
I do the same with most regulars. Shipped a couple boxes of bullets to Birddog 68 last week the same day he mailed the money order. Different order of magnitude from the OP's deal, but it wasn't going to ruin my day either way.

@Ucsdryder,
Some of us know how much integrity you possess and desire to be one of the best of the community. You keep doing what's right and it will work out just fine. And it's really, really hard to do what is right after an incident like you just had.
Thank you. The feeling is mutual and I feel the same way about a vast majority of members on here. Probably why I was so surprised by what happened!

I know that Len Backus has a very strict rule about the Classifieds and "NOT Arguing or knocking down the OP Sale Item & Price". Great Policy!

But the members posting on Classifieds should take into account that "We" are a hunting and shooting community. This isn't GB". The majority of us use this forum to discuss shooting/hunting/reloading/GS and when members need something we all try to help out. We have seen a lot of Great/Fair/Good deals on here. Then there are the items for sale that are 3xs what the poster paid for and trying to make a huge profit. These are usually the members that are on multiple forums and just selling things. They are usually not a LHR Sponsor and probably a Pawn shop. I think we all seen those members. We communicate with a lot of the members on LHR and have made a lot of friends with really good people. Had some of these members tell us that the LRH Classifieds are turning out to be like GB with all the posts. I just say that there is a "Ignore" button and you don't have to look at these posts. Really cleans up what we are looking at.
We just hope that thing like what happened to "ucsdryder" does not happen again and this is an isolated case. I have faith that 99% of LRH members are really good fair people when it come to selling and buying. Your "Reputation" shows the kind of a person that you are.
It's a real shame to read a story like this.
God Bless and let all of us and remember "Treat People the Way That You Want to Be Treated". Every time we post something to sell I ask myself "Would I want to buy this for this price and is it a "Fair Price". I then lower the price or when sending the item out we try to put something extra in the package as a Suprise even if it's only a few bucks in value. On the flip side we have had many members that we traded with or bought from really give us more than Fair or GREAT deals.
Jill & I Thank everyone that we had transactions with! Really GOOD people. We made a lot of LRH friends!

I know that Len Backus has a very strict rule about the Classifieds and "NOT Arguing or knocking down the OP Sale Item & Price". Great Policy!

But the members posting on Classifieds should take into account that "We" are a hunting and shooting community. This isn't GB". The majority of us use this forum to discuss shooting/hunting/reloading/GS and when members need something we all try to help out. We have seen a lot of Great/Fair/Good deals on here. Then there are the items for sale that are 3xs what the poster paid for and trying to make a huge profit. These are usually the members that are on multiple forums and just selling things. They are usually not a LHR Sponsor and probably a Pawn shop. I think we all seen those members. We communicate with a lot of the members on LHR and have made a lot of friends with really good people. Had some of these members tell us that the LRH Classifieds are turning out to be like GB with all the posts. I just say that there is a "Ignore" button and you don't have to look at these posts. Really cleans up what we are looking at.
We just hope that thing like what happened to "ucsdryder" does not happen again and this is an isolated case. I have faith that 99% of LRH members are really good fair people when it come to selling and buying. Your "Reputation" shows the kind of a person that you are.
It's a real shame to read a story like this.
God Bless and let all of us and remember "Treat People the Way That You Want to Be Treated". Every time we post something to sell I ask myself "Would I want to buy this for this price and is it a "Fair Price". I then lower the price or when sending the item out we try to put something extra in the package as a Suprise even if it's only a few bucks in value. On the flip side we have had many members that we traded with or bought from really give us more than Fair or GREAT deals.
Jill & I Thank everyone that we had transactions with! Really GOOD people. We made a lot of LRH friends!
Couldn't have said it better. Thank you for articulating that very well.

I left him feedback. I don't think he cares, but I hope it helps a fellow member keep from having issues.

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you for articulating that very well.

I left him feedback. I don't think he cares, but I hope it helps a fellow member keep from having issues.
Len Backus does care very much, but he is limited not to just take action out of his control.
This is the BEST Hunting/Shooting Forum out there.

Thanks
Len & Jill

I'll respond to this. I've bought and sold a few items since officially joining although I've followed this site since probably 2015 on almost a daily basis. Along with other forums going back to probably 2010. I've followed one since 2010 to this day and I'm still not a member there.
I just don't post much or don't become a member.

In regards to buying and selling, I'd had my fair share local deals but fairly new with shipping items off to people of the internet. If something seems out of place talk to them on the phone. Hard for someone to lie/keep their story straight that fast.

I've had so many deals locally with the only contact been through text message it doesn't bother me. Call to talk on the phone? Sure but between working shift work(myself included days and nights) and sometimes being in different time zones with people on forums agree on a general time and we're all good.

TLDR don't always go by post count.

Guys mentioning the stress of selling well used gear. Just document the imperfections. I've sold plenty of stuff that works buts clearly been used. Just be up front, never had an issue and just price accordingly. Agree, $100 bucks wasn't worth losing the reputation. He should of made it right. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.