Please Help Reloader Newbie

Yep sure can that's how I started get some templag it will help you get a feel for what color to look for on your necks.

There are a few youtube videos of people doing it that way. I am sure it would be just fine to go that route.
I have an anneal-eez annealer and all it does is spin the case in the flame for the amount of time you set. It then drops a case and goes to the next one. You set the time using tempilaq painted on a case, you time how long it takes to melt the stuff and set the time accordingly.
So using a torch I assume you would spin the case in a drill and use a timer? I am not sure but I am certain someone one here does it that way.

Looks like L.Sherman can point you in the right direction.

A drill is the easiest I used to use a pair of pliers and just rotate them crud but it seemed to work.

I have literally thousands of cases to do know so I started using a bench source annealer about 6 or 7 years ago.

Learn about shoulder bump with your fI'll length die. All you need is a headspace gauge and some knowledge. Also, anneal your brass every 5 firings or so. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the # of firings. The accuracy you want to find shouldnt be hard to find. Buy a bullet you want to shoot and a couple powders and work up an ocw test and go shoot.

Learn about shoulder bump with your fI'll length die. All you need is a headspace gauge and some knowledge. Also, anneal your brass every 5 firings or so. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the # of firings. The accuracy you want to find shouldnt be hard to find. Buy a bullet you want to shoot and a couple powders and work up an ocw test and go shoot.

I measured 7 once fired brass that was fired in my chamber with the Hornady shoulder measurer and all 7 were between .626-.629". If I'm only suppose to bump the shoulder by .003, how can I do that if my once fired cases are varying by .003"

Like I said before, I would use a twice fired case so you know that it is fully fire formed.
One thing you do know with the info you have, is that the longer of your cases is not longer than your chamber. You could probably just use the .629 measurement.
Using the exact same method you used to measure your once fired case and the same zero on your caliper, measure an unfired case. What is that measurement?
Measure a few and take an average.

I apologize but what do you mean by: " the longer of your cases is not longer than your chamber"? Do you mean that the brass can not physically get longer than my chamber?

Like I said before, I would use a twice fired case so you know that it is fully fire formed.
One thing you do know with the info you have, is that the longer of your cases is not longer than your chamber. You could probably just use the .629 measurement.
Using the exact same method you used to measure your once fired case and the same zero on your caliper, measure an unfired case. What is that measurement?
Measure a few and take an average.

pretty much, the shorter ones probably just aren't formed all the way yet. It can take a couple firings to fully fire form your brass.
Did you get that measurement off of an unfired case yet?

pretty much, the shorter ones probably just aren't formed all the way yet. It can take a couple firings to fully fire form your brass.
Did you get that measurement off of an unfired case yet?

I took 8 random cases of new Hornady brass (not fired) and they measured .626-627"

I measured my smallest piece of brass that has been once fired in my chamber and it measured at .6265". Largest was about .62925"

That's good news.
Now all you have to do is FL size one of the fired .629 cases and measure that case the same way.

Finally got home to do this and some interesting things happened.

First I realized two new never fired Hornady brass then measured out on the neck comparator to be around .328. I ran them once through the FL (had a very small amount of calming action) and it returned them to both to approx. 326. Running it through the FL made the over brass length increase by about .003 but was still in spec so I did not trim

I then took a once fired case from my chamber and did the same thing and it actually mad the should come out further to about .335. I trimmed the case because it grew about .008" and returned it back to min cartridge length 2.025". I then ran it through the FL again and it brought it close to the original measurement which was about .329". I ran it through a third time and it returned it to about .326.

I then tried another piece of once fired in my chamber and the brass length got about .009" longer and it took the should from .328 to .327. Then I trimmed the case and ran it through the FL again and it then took it to .326

Does running it through the FL multiple times kill the potential brass life?

I did a third piece of brass that measured at .327 for the shoulder and .331 for the overall (the overall number doesn't mean much, just something to compare against).

The should was pushed back to .325 and the overall stayed at .331. Why are the once fired in my chamber brass behaving so weird?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.