Please Help Reloader Newbie

timberelk

Hello,

I've gotten all the tools and have read every article I can get my hands on but still stuck on full length resizing vs bumping the shoulder back (I will not be neck sizing due to reliability). I am going to be using this gun (howa 1500 7mm08 with 20" barrel) as a hunting gun and as long as I can shoot under 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards I'll be happy!

But I'd also like to get as many reloads out of my brass as possible but reliability takes precedents because I need the gun to go bang when I want it to no matter if it's rainig snowing or getting dirt or debris in the action while in the field

telk, perhaps stick with the full length sizing for now. You may find in the future you might not have all the tools. Seems there is always another tool you just have to have. Annealing is also important to brass life. Your bolt will tell you when the cases have stretched. Good luck

telk, perhaps stick with the full length sizing for now. You may find in the future you might not have all the tools. Seems there is always another tool you just have to have. Annealing is also important to brass life. Your bolt will tell you when the cases have stretched. Good luck

With FL sizing, the brass will stretch the point where I have to trim the case to length specs each time after FL sizing but before reloading correct?

With FL sizing, the brass will stretch the point where I have to trim the case to length specs each time after FL sizing but before reloading correct?

I FL size for all my hunting rifles. The nice thing about FL sizing is you know that the brass is within tolerances and will fit in the chamber, this means no issues while out hunting. I have found most of my standard cartridges can go 3 firings before needing a trim. To determine this look in your reloading manual and you'll see a trim to length and a max case length if its between the two points its good to go.

I FL size for all my hunting rifles. The nice thing about FL sizing is you know that the brass is within tolerances and will fit in the chamber, this means no issues while out hunting. I have found most of my standard cartridges can go 3 firings before needing a trim. To determine this look in your reloading manual and you'll see a trim to length and a max case length if its between the two points its good to go.

Any idea how many reloads I will be able to get out of Hornady 7mm08 brass if I FL every time and shoot medium to medium hot pressures?

Any idea how many reloads I will be able to get out of Hornady 7mm08 brass if I FL every time and shoot medium to medium hot pressures?

I have a 6.5 creedmoor I am running hot using Hornady brass and its on the eighth firing. The pockets are tight and I haven't lost a piece yet. How many times are you hoping to reload your brass? For the rifle I shoot the most (243 AI) I use Lapua brass. I have nine on those without any issue.

Bump the shoulder .002-.003. All you need is a fired case ( I'd use a twice fired case just to make sure it's fully fire formed) and a headspace comparator.
If your looking to get as many firings as you can out of your brass, you don't want to FL size. You'll stress the brass more than you need to (depending on your chamber) Over sizing your brass can be worse on brass life than "hot" loads (not over pressure, but at the top) Hot loads often lead to loose primer pockets, oversizing brass often leads to case head separation. "bumping" the shoulder will also aid in accuracy vs FL sizing (imo) It is not hard to do, and you can check your sized brass and make sure that it is chambering before you load up a bunch of rounds.
That being said, it really depends on your chamber. I have a couple rifles that I FL size because the chamber is tight and FL sizing only bumps the shoulder about .002.
I have other rifles that I'd be moving the shoulder .007 if I were to FL size.
It's all opinion, but you definitely can "bump" the shoulder and still have reliable ammo.
I bet your howa 1500 with a good custom load is going to do much better than 1" at 100.
Good luck with it.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor I am running hot using Hornady brass and its on the eighth firing. The pockets are tight and I haven't lost a piece yet. How many times are you hoping to reload your brass? For the rifle I shoot the most (243 AI) I use Lapua brass. I have nine on those without any issue.

8 reloads would be good for me! I like the idea of FL because it will nature it feeds while I'm on my over night backpack hunts but if I'll get the same reliable feeding from budding the should and longer brass life I'm all game for that!

Don't only certain FL dies give you the option to do bump sizing? Will Hornady FL allow to do FL size and only bump the should if I choose to?

There are various debates about FL vs Neck sizing. I know many that would argue FL done right (.001-.002) bump, they'll last just as long. I keep it within .001-.003. I know guys with 20-30 firings on 6.5x47L brass that are FL resizing. Though they're annealing also.

If you go with SRP lapua or alpha brass i'd expect double digits with ease less you're hammering your brass. Hell truthfully i'd expect no less than 13-15.

http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html

There are various debates about FL vs Neck sizing. I know many that would argue FL done right (.001-.002) bump, they'll last just as long. I keep it within .001-.003. I know guys with 20-30 firings on 6.5x47L brass that are FL resizing. Though they're annealing also.

If you go with SRP lapua or alpha brass i'd expect double digits with ease less you're hammering your brass. Hell truthfully i'd expect no less than 13-15.

http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html
Annelaing doesn't seem to be very difficult! If I could FL and anneal every maybe 3 firings? And get good accuracy I wouldn't mind doing that

Annelaing doesn't seem to be very difficult! If I could FL and anneal every maybe 3 firings? And get good accuracy I wouldn't mind doing that

I wouldn't know where to begin to advise on annealing i haven't started myself. Plan to and need to, but just haven't. Some anneal every firing, some every 2, some every 3. If you're wanting to i'd grab an anneal eeze and go at it. With quality brass even without annealing you'll get more than 8 firings.

You can bump with any FL die, it will be just as reliable.
Properly annealing brass is much more difficult than bumping a shoulder.

I wouldn't know where to begin to advise on annealing i haven't started myself. Plan to and need to, but just haven't. Some anneal every firing, some every 2, some every 3. If you're wanting to i'd grab an anneal eeze and go at it. With quality brass even without annealing you'll get more than 8 firings.

More than 8 with FL sizing and returning the brass to Sami specs?

You can bump with any FL die, it will be just as reliable.
Properly annealing brass is much more difficult than bumping a shoulder.

Does anyone know of a good video that shows how to set up the die to bump the shoulder back? I've looked on YouTube and they show how to slowly bump it back until your bolt closes with ease but do you run the base of the die all the way until it contact the shell holder and then back it up off the shell holder a few turns?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.