help please :)

Wysongdog

Guys I need some input please. I'm looking at putting together a mountain rifle for elk,deer, sheep. I'm really liking the 28 Nosler (maybe just because it's new and cool lol). Wanting to go with a manners mcs eh-5 stock and possibly a proof carbon barrel. That's about all I have to with so far lol. I haven't picked a builder yet or action. That's where I'd like your help. I'm going to visit with Ryan at Diablo rifles in Laramie while we are there for AAU basketball this weekend. Let me know what else I need to make this rifle affordable and bad *** ( I know they don't always go together in the same sentence). FYI I'm new into the long range shooting/hunting. Archery is my passion but doesn't always put meat in the freezer the way I hunt lol.

For a "mountain" rifle for sheep/elk/deer, I would go with a short action in 6.5 SAUM or 300 WSM. The Nosler 28 burns about 18 grains more powder than a 7mm Mag, so you could expect to see increased recoil and less barrel life than a 7mm Mag. The 6.5 SAUM and 300 WSM are proving to be better for barrel life. You could also check into the 7MM SS and 6.5 SS (Sherman Short Mag) from a guy who goes by Elkaholic on the board. They get good numbers on speed and barrel life too.

I bought a stainless Remington Model Seven in 7 SAUM shooting 160 grain Accubonds and Partitons around 2950fps in a 22" barrel. It's not exactly lightweight, but it's what I wanted. If you're wanting a mountain rifle, I'd buy a Kimber in 280AI. You can get one of their rifles around 6 lbs and can buy factory brass and ammo.

If you're wanting a mountain rifle, I'd buy a Kimber in 280AI. You can get one of their rifles around 6 lbs and can buy factory brass and ammo.

I like the way you think :cool:

Seriously, the 28Nos is a cool cartridge, but not what I think about for a mountain rifle.

I'd probably be leaning more toward a 6.5 or 7 SAUM. Or one of the WSM family (270, 7mm, 300). Or :D my beloved 280 Ackley :cool:

If a 28 Nosler floats your boat however, then by all means. Probably just end up a bit heavy.

I've wanted to get my hands on one and try it but haven't had a chance. But I've heard nothing but good.

I did not know much about them at all then started talking with people that have used them and they all say they are great light weight and accurate guns right out of the box. just remember to top it with good glass.

My advice would be to decide what's most important to you and make a plan. If you want a 28 Nosler then go for it! Since you mention elk, deer, and antelope I would personally want a gun to finish out around 9-10 lbs with scope. Light enough to carry for miles but heavy enough for longer shots and some range time. My backpacking gun is 9.5 lbs total and it's just right for me.

You want affordable so I'd ditch the carbon barrel (unless that really floats your boat). A #4 fluted steel barrel is the same weight as the lightest Proof Research barrel so the weight savings isn't a big deal. They look cool and seem to be great barrels, I just don't think the value is there for builds where price is a big consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.