Please Help Reloader Newbie

Finally got around to getting out to the range...

I shot the following loads:
3 once fired Hornady brass loaded with 38 grains of varget
3 new Hornady brass loaded with 38 grains of varget

3 once fired Hornady brass loaded with 38.5 grains of varget
3 new Hornady brass loaded with 38.5 grains.

Both loads produced around 2" groups at 100 (before shooting this rifle I was shooting my muzzleloader and shot a 3 shot 1.25" group at 100 so I'm cable of shooting 1" groups).

Once weird thing I experienced was that the POI change between the new Hornady brass and once fired Hornady brass. POI was slight but the new brass would group with the other new brass loads and the once fired Hornady brass would group with the once fired Hornady brass.

Essentially with the 38 grain once fired brass load I got a .75" 3 shot group and with the 38 grain new brass I got about 1.5" group that was near the once fired brass group but didn't group right in there with them.

Do you guys experience different grouping with once fired brass and new brass? All brass was FL sized and trimmed to spec

I'll post pictures later tonight to show what I'm attempting to explain

These are the pictures...

Old equals once fired brass
New equals new Hornady brass

All brass sized and trimmed the same and all brass was Hornady

Attachments

• 1C5D4C39-CFA7-405C-8D70-43BB77FB6E86.jpeg
    1C5D4C39-CFA7-405C-8D70-43BB77FB6E86.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • 0CF9BB52-84CB-4567-A56C-A05223B17E10.jpeg
    0CF9BB52-84CB-4567-A56C-A05223B17E10.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
I wouldn't worry about what your new brass is doing, you can get lower charge weights shooting higher that faster ones it's all about your barrel being happy with the harmonics. In all likelihood you will not be shooting new brass much so why worry about it, don't over think it get your brass cycled and move on.

Got around to measuring the shoulders on the factory loads and my loads I shot yesterday.

Most were at .327 with a few at .328 and .326. Which is a good sign because my FL bumps the should back to about .324-.323 so I'm only bumping the should back by about .003-.004 with a FL die so I will be sticking with the FL die. I got lucky! I will report more shortly

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.