Please help me ID a gun

Clayne B

It is stamped Wards Western Field on the action. and its a .22 any info would help (value), I picked it up off of a local classified add. so i hope i didn't pay to much.....

9f86b8f2.jpg

e7b4f3d4.jpg

5a2b5f65.jpg

I pulled the action and barrel out of the stock, the only markings i can find are Wards Western Field on the action, and on the barrel next to the rear sight, it says 22 short long or long rifle, and on the barrel next to the action it has a circle with 18 inside of the circle

Montgumery Ward.
Looks like an old Rem nock off or Win nock off, but I don't think Win was clip fed. Pretty sure Win was an old single shot, loaded 1 at a time, & the safety was on the back of the fireing pin in the form of a "tab, or leaf" if you will. Give me a week, & ill go to my grandmas & look at my old Win & letcha know.
Ok, back to yours...
Sears & Robuck use to sell all kinds of firearms. Usually built by lesser known companys using a larger known companys design. Look at Stevens, or Mossberg, they liscenced, & farmed out all kinds of shotguns, & rilfes etc for Sears.
Montgumery Ward would be my guess.

It is indeed a montgomery ward special built by Hawe arms out of california, and is a winchester model 74C knock off. 125.00 max.

this is from a different forum

Brandon3
Just pulled my Model 4 out of the safe and I'm dead certain now that you have a model 4
Triggerguard, cocking piece, and mag well cover are identical. Also mine also has the circled 18 stamped on the barrel just in front of the receiver.

not saying you are right or wrong....

A lot of the Wards Westernfields were mae by Savage/ Stevens. I have a Wards Westerfiels modle 37 I am working on that is actually the same parts as a modle 560 savage / stevens. It looks alot like your rifle except my stock it different.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.