Please help me build a Rifle.

Their nothing wrong with a 300 RUM for shooting elk sized animals at 1000yds. loaded with a 200gr Accubond it would be a great round I recomended the 338 bore due to the ability to shoot a little heavier bullet. Like i mentioned if a bull were standing 1000yds out broad side or sightly quarting and the wind wasen't over 12-15mph I would shoot him with a 300 winchester no question about it.

the bigger heaveir higher BC bullets like the 300gr Sierra match king will hit a bit harder and maybe penitrate a bit further than the 200gr accubond but I realy don't see it being that much better. Its going to boil down to your ability to dope the wind and make the shot way more than the guns ability to hit the target or the bullets ability to kill the animal.

I'm at work right now so I can't run the numbers but compair a 200gr 30 cal Accubond launched at 3200fps against the 300gr .338 cal Sierra Match King at 2800fps the differance in the energy on target isin't gonna make or break the bank.

Their nothing wrong with a 300 RUM for shooting elk sized animals at 1000yds. loaded with a 200gr Accubond it would be a great round I recomended the 338 bore due to the ability to shoot a little heavier bullet. Like i mentioned if a bull were standing 1000yds out broad side or sightly quarting and the wind wasen't over 12-15mph I would shoot him with a 300 winchester no question about it.

the bigger heaveir higher BC bullets like the 300gr Sierra match king will hit a bit harder and maybe penitrate a bit further than the 200gr accubond but I realy don't see it being that much better. Its going to boil down to your ability to dope the wind and make the shot way more than the guns ability to hit the target or the bullets ability to kill the animal.

I'm at work right now so I can't run the numbers but compair a 200gr 30 cal Accubond launched at 3200fps against the 300gr .338 cal Sierra Match King at 2800fps the differance in the energy on target isin't gonna make or break the bank.

Not even close.

From Exbal at sea level.

300gr SMK @ 2800fps 1000yds 2002ftlbs 1734fps 5.00moa wind drift for 10mph wind 1.36 seconds flight time
200gr AB,. @ 3200fps 1000 yds, 1309ftlbs 1717fps 5.75moa wind drift for 10mph wind 1.28 seconds flight time

(above numbers fixed, thanks JoeCool for the headsup on my FUBAR of the numbers)

AJ

Last edited:
Certainly what is NEEDED to kill a bull elk at 1000 yards is much less then many would expect. Hell, take a 280 Rem with a 160 gr Accubond and put that bullet though the lungs and you can punch your tag, hell, put a 140 gr bullet from a 260 Rem through the lungs of any bull on the planet and he is dead.

That said, before the bullet kills the elk, it has to hit the elk in the right spot. When we look at the larger magnums, most experienced long range hunters are not saying they will kill a bull any quicker then any other smaller conventional round if you put the bullets though the vitals, again we come back to putting that bullet on the mark we need to.

As mentioned, doping the wind is much more critical then anything else. As such, the higher the BC bullet we use, the less we will be off due to our error in judgement in down range wind conditions.

As mentioned already, comparing the 300 RUM/200 gr AB to the 338 Edge?300 gr SMK, the slower 300 gr smk has 4.25 moa less wind drift. Thats around 44" less that it will be blown by the wind.

Assume your off in your windage adjustment, the 338 gives you more room for error while still producing a vital hit.

In comes the new ultra high performance rounds such as my 338 Allen Magnum. While the 300 RUM has 9.25 moa of wind drift at 1000 yards, and the 338 Edge has 5.0 moa of wind drift, the 338 AM has 2.75 moa of wind drift.

Not only does that lack of wind drift make hitting the vitals at 1000 yards vastly easier then with any smaller chambering or even a 50BMG, it also can be in a package that is no harder to shoot then any heavy varmint rifle.

Add to that, your hammering that big bull with nearly 2500 fps of velocity and over 3600 ft/lbs of energy. Is this needed, certainly not, BUT, if you can put that bullet on the right spot as easily as you can with the a 338 AM, imagine the terminal performance you will see with surgical precision.

Its been said time and again that hitting small targets at 1K with a 338 AM is like kicking your dog, one hates to say its easy but in a quality rifle with an accurate drop chart and good ammo, a better discription there is not.

Also look at it this way. A 300 RUM with a 200 gr AB has 9.25 moa of wind drift at 1000 yards in a 10 mph wind. If you were shooting a 338 AM, you would have that same wind drift using the 265 gr AT RBBT but that would be shooting in a 30 mph wind!!!

Now I would never recommend shooting at any big game in this kind of wind at long range, but to be consistant, how can I say I would endorse shooting a 300 RUM in a 10 mph wind when they have the same drift.

Again, there is no NEED for this level of performance. However, what it does offer you is a means to compensate for alot of any possible error in down range wind estimates. Simply put, it makes hitting the vitals accurately and consistantly at long range is MUCH easier with a rifle with such a chambering.

Are there disadvantages to this type of rifle, certainly, no doubt, are they for everyone, certainly not, will any other conventional rifle or chambering compare as far as ballistic performance or terminal effect on heavy game, again, certainly not!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Not even close.

From Exbal at sea level.

300gr SMK @ 2800fps 1000yds 2002ftlbs 1734fps 5.00moa wind drift for 10mph wind 1.36 seconds flight time
200gr AB,. @ 3200fps 1000 yds, 764ftlbs 1312fps 9.25moa wind drift for 10mph wind 1.48 seconds flight time

AJ

You might need to rerun those numbers for the .200 accubond at sea level

200AB @ 3200fps 1000 yds, 1357ftlbs 1748fps 5.50 wind drift for 10mph 1.27 time of flight

You might need to rerun those numbers for the .200 accubond at sea level

200AB @ 3200fps 1000 yds, 1357ftlbs 1748fps 5.50 wind drift for 10mph 1.27 time of flight

Yeah, I don't know what I did, but I made a mistake. With 45degrees and 35% humidity I have 1309ftlbs and 1717fps

Sorry everyone,

Joecool, thanks for the catch.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.