Build me a rifle

If were you I would barrel it with a #3 or #4 contour Rock Creek barrel in 6.5 and chamber it in .264 win mag, If you have a magnum bolt face. If not I would go with a 6.5-06. Yes they are a little hard on barrels, but you would get great performance. You didn't say if you reloaded or not. 260 rem is always a good choice also.
I think there's more myth than fact there in the .264 being hard on barrels.

They got that reputation when the caliber was first developed and of course the steel in that era wasn't even close to what is being produced today.

Further anything can be a barrel burner if you shoot it hot and then keep shooting.

Conversely if you never heat one up much less keep shooting it hot the average hunter, or even long range hunter probably won't ever burn one up unless we're talking about the really big overbore cartridges like the Rum's and big .338's.

In general though I think the "It's a barrel burner" is often far overplayed.

No question though if one wants to build something for high volume shooting I'd probably stick with the .260 Rem or Creedmore for a 6.5mm.

LA and want 6.5=6.5-06 26in barrel 8tw I use Norma 25-06 brass, simple to neck up .007, just run thru die, Redding makes dies.

hello,my vote goes toa .280 Remington,25inch Kreiger #4 fluted st.st.barrel.u may go to JMPROVED version if u reload.110-175 bullets and your alset for our game!skim bed the stock,your ready!gun)

My cousin built a rifle like what you're decribing. He set it up with a 25" barrel, maker??? In 6.5x284. I don't recall the contour but it finished around .650 I believe. You said the action is a M700 LA I would have suggested a 7rem but you said you had a 300win so the 6.5x284 or 6.5 saum 4s are getting my votes.

I'd build a 270 Sherman and have the barrel throated for 165 Matrix bullets in a 28" 8 twist. R26, imr 7977, retumbo, and R33 would all work well and probably deliver 3050-3150fps.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts