Help me build a gun!

Tyler Kemp

ACT time is coming up soon! That means within a month I could be sending an order for someone to build me a gun! Whoohoo!

This is what I have-
Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby

This is what I want-
A long range gun

This sounds awful general because I'm not sure what I want! Here's my thoughts:

I have been thinking 338 Lapua Improved for a long time, and the new 338 bullets should be great

Heavy doesn't bother me, 20 lbs or so would be fine

Might as well have a long barrel for max velocity...and a big brake on the end of it!

Fluting looks cool...but what kind? Straight, spiral, interrupted?

Can I get a real nice trigger for the Weatherby? It has a fairly nice pull now, but could be better.

What stock to get? I like the look of Mcree stocks, but I don't think they do Weatherby.

Budget-NO MORE than $3000, without optics, preferably less.

That's about it, maybe I will see something that opens my eyes!

bacon-ak47-rifle-1.jpg

I built this rig out of Bacon. If ya' get hungry out in the field you can just pull a piece off and eat it. Unfortunately, dogs have gotten a hold of it and I have had to rebuild it several times.

It shoots a 180 Gr. V-Max Cholesterals like you wouldn't believe.

Good Luck with your build,

Dee

I think the Lapua Improved is an awesome caliber to go with. I had a .340 in a Mark 5 and boy do I wish I kept it (and re-barreled it).
I havent owned one, but I really like the Manners stocks. they have nice thumbhole and A-5 styles. I think that you can special order the mark 5 inletting. I know that McMillan inletts for weatherbys (special order). Otherwise get ahold of Joe Russo if you like laminate.
for a barrel, whatever you fancy. I like lots of flutes (in my dreams because I cant afford a build yet). Go with a 30" tube to maximize your burn (you can go longer if you dont mind packing it)I liked my weatherby trigger so I wouldnt replace it right away, unless you can find something easily.

Last edited:
For a $3000 budjet!

Sell the weatherby, put that money towards optics.

Build a 338/338 imp, on a custom action. Surgeon XL single shot, Manners stock, Brux barrel, Jewel Trigger, CSR brake.

And you will still have some left for optics.

Want a repeater get a Stiller tac 338.

Don't nail yourself to the weatherby.

I've shot the gun in that video! His tag on here is Broz. Sweet gun for sure, I don't want to have an exact copy though. :D

Coyboy, a member on here was nice enough to give me an excellent deal on the gun, so I owe it to him to not sell it, and since I have it I thought it would be ok to build on.

ACT time is coming up soon! That means within a month I could be sending an order for someone to build me a gun! Whoohoo!

This is what I have-
Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby

This is what I want-
A long range gun

This sounds awful general because I'm not sure what I want! Here's my thoughts:

I have been thinking 338 Lapua Improved for a long time, and the new 338 bullets should be great

Heavy doesn't bother me, 20 lbs or so would be fine

Might as well have a long barrel for max velocity...and a big brake on the end of it!

Fluting looks cool...but what kind? Straight, spiral, interrupted?

Can I get a real nice trigger for the Weatherby? It has a fairly nice pull now, but could be better.

What stock to get? I like the look of Mcree stocks, but I don't think they do Weatherby.

Budget-NO MORE than $3000, without optics, preferably less.

That's about it, maybe I will see something that opens my eyes!

You will have to open up the bolt face if you go to the lapua so you might as well go with the
30/378 Weatherby with more powder capacity and 100 to 200 ft/sec more velocity.

The Weatherby brass is high but not as much as the Lapua and you can get loaded ammo
for it.

One other option would be the 338 RUM or Edge (No bolt face modifications).

These decisions are what makes building a new rifle fun.

J E CUSTOM

Tyler

Lets price this out to see what it will take.

Surgeon single shot action $1350 (Stiller TAC 338 or Phoenix $1000)

Manners stock-$475-675 depending on model (Russo A5L $300+ unfinished and inletted, add $300 for final finish and clear coat)

30-32" Barrel (requires 1.350 shank for surgeon and others) extra length & oversize diameter blank will be $375-400 minimum depending on mftr

Fluting $150-180

I have a 1.350" 338 barrel (fluted) on order from bartlein for a 338/408 and it is $565

Chambering $175-200, can go as high as $400 depending on smith

Crowning $40-50

Brake (new Holland Radial $105 is absolutely awesome on my 338 AI) another $100 installation

Pillar and final Bedding $200

Trigger w/safety 1.5 lb range (Jewell $225 Rfle Basix- $125)

flush cups, sling swivels and installation $100

Misc gunsmith (trust me it will be there) $100-200

Chamber reamer and go/no go gauges ($200) if you want to keep them and rebarrel in the future with the same chamber dimensions and dies.

Dies (338 AI only choice is custom from the smith from his reamer set (chamber and resize reamers required) or Neil Jones set with 3 shoulder bump bushings and micro seater, got my Neil Jones 338 AI dies yesterday for $366 and worth every penny.

Bottom line is that if building a new gun from scratch, $3000 will not make it normally much less leave anything left over IMO unless you sell your gun and apply that with the $3k.

You really need to decide first your gun or new gun and then start pricing components out and seeing if they fit in the budget. I am not sure if the MK5 can/should be converted to the 338, particularily the AI version. I am not saying it cannot, I just do not know. It might be able to, I would do some checking first and be totally comfortable with the answers. For example do you want a magazine gun or single shot? Can the MK5 mag fit the 338 AI? If you want a magazine gun, look at the 338 Norma Mag (new Norma case that is basically shortened Lapua that fits standard long actions, but gives Lapua ballistics). Brass and dies are available. Long thread on Snipers Hide about the 338 Norma.

Also do not forget the 338 Edge which could be done for about half your $3k budget with a barrel, brake, trigger and stock. 300 gr SMK at 2800 fps is nothing to sneeze at. Shawn has the reamer and on shelf dies, so rebarreling later is super easy and will match the old one.

The 338 Norma could probably be done to the Mk5 for well under the $3k. Plus the 30/338 Norma with 240 SMKs is a strong LR contender.

Look at the Snake 2, that I just built. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/snake-2-338-lapua-ack-imp-41682/ After completing fireforming the brass it is going to be disassembled and the bolt and barrel are going to be melonite coated (super hard industrial coating to hopefully significantly decrease throat erosion) $200. Only way I got it together at that price was I got a deal on the action, stock and barrel from guys needing to sell them and saved a lot of money.

BH

Last edited:
I know Broz on here had a 338 Lapua done on a Mark 5 just like mine and it feeds from the magazine. I figured 338 AI would as well, but I'm not super concerned about it being able to feed, single shot would be ok. Here are some specs I have hashed out before:

Action-Weatherby Mark V
Action work-$200
Trigger-$200
Broughton 32"-$400
Chambering-$200
Brake installed-$250
Bedding-$150
Stock-$600
Adjustable cheekpiece-$100
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$2100, and then maybe one of those adjustable bases that go from 0-150 moa

Also, who can do the build? Kirby and Nathan are way backordered, I wanted one of them to do it, but doesn't look feasible. :(

Going through that kind of expense to build a new rifle, I'd also opt for a new custom action. Might as well start with the best of the components... I'm sure you won't short yourself on barrel quality, or scope, or stock, etc.... I'd go with a custom action and sell the weatherby. OK, you got a hell of a deal on a rifle someone wanted you to have to get you started...you've graduated, now move on and give someone else an opportunity with that same rifle to get started in lrh. That said, if you would have had a Rem 700 in a mag or ultra mag, I'd just rebarrel and stock after truing it up.

I know Broz on here had a 338 Lapua done on a Mark 5 just like mine and it feeds from the magazine. I figured 338 AI would as well, but I'm not super concerned about it being able to feed, single shot would be ok. Here are some specs I have hashed out before:

Action-Weatherby Mark V
Action work-$200
Trigger-$200
Broughton 32"-$400
Chambering-$200
Brake installed-$250
Bedding-$150
Stock-$600
Adjustable cheekpiece-$100
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$2100, and then maybe one of those adjustable bases that go from 0-150 moa

Also, who can do the build? Kirby and Nathan are way backordered, I wanted one of them to do it, but doesn't look feasible. :(

That sounds to me like an excellent direction. Not all of us can afford the new actions. I have a Savage that is working just fine. Keep the Weatherby and go for the LM IMP. Oh and bolt face modification really isn't that big a deal.

Good Luck,
Tank

Tyler,

You do not owe me anything. Anything you owed was paid in full. If it makes more sense to go with a custom action do it. Sell the weatherby if you wish apply it toward your dream gun.

Good Luck

If I went with a a Stiller Tac338, does it come with a magazine system or what? Can I seat bullets as far out as I want? I don't see the amount of information I'd like on their website.

Chances are, no, you wouldn't be able to seat a 300 out as far as you'd 'like' to magazine feed, but save yourself some bucks right there and just get a single shot... Save the expense of the bottom metal. I see no real advantage having a repeater for a long range hunting rifle. It takes very little time to eject a case and drop in another one if it's needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.