Please help me ID a gun

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Clayne B, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

It is stamped Wards Western Field on the action. and its a .22 any info would help (value), I picked it up off of a local classified add. so i hope i didn't pay to much.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Looks like a winchester 52 but its just a guess

3. Clayne B

I pulled the action and barrel out of the stock, the only markings i can find are Wards Western Field on the action, and on the barrel next to the rear sight, it says 22 short long or long rifle, and on the barrel next to the action it has a circle with 18 inside of the circle

4. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Montgumery Ward.
    Looks like an old Rem nock off or Win nock off, but I don't think Win was clip fed. Pretty sure Win was an old single shot, loaded 1 at a time, & the safety was on the back of the fireing pin in the form of a "tab, or leaf" if you will. Give me a week, & ill go to my grandmas & look at my old Win & letcha know.
    Ok, back to yours...
    Sears & Robuck use to sell all kinds of firearms. Usually built by lesser known companys using a larger known companys design. Look at Stevens, or Mossberg, they liscenced, & farmed out all kinds of shotguns, & rilfes etc for Sears.
    Montgumery Ward would be my guess.

5. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

It is indeed a montgomery ward special built by Hawe arms out of california, and is a winchester model 74C knock off. 125.00 max.

6. Clayne B

this is from a different forum

not saying you are right or wrong....

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

A lot of the Wards Westernfields were mae by Savage/ Stevens. I have a Wards Westerfiels modle 37 I am working on that is actually the same parts as a modle 560 savage / stevens. It looks alot like your rifle except my stock it different.

Jeff

8. Clayne B

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Yours being a repeater with a curved clip I think it is a Savage / Stevens