Thinking about a new rifle/build..some help please

It may depend on where you live, someone local is handy. The sponsors on this site are a good place to start. At the top of the page click on Long Range Rifles, and look at some of those ready to go. With some of the better builders time to deliver can be a couple of years. Quality components, assembled by quality people, good enough to guarantee their work is going to be in that mid $4000 range starting from scratch. Other good sites to visit include, but not limited to Defensive Edge, R Bros, Northwest Precision

Re-reading your first post you like Weatherby they do have their Range certified models. Go to their site, and work your way through "build a rifle" tool. Roughly putting in your preferences they have one model at about $1200.

The classifieds here are good to just shop your way through and get ideas. Some good deals there, but it's always a bit stressful on the net. There is a thread regarding good folks to buy from. I got a nice .300 that's been grouping between 0.5-0.75" at 100 that would be in your preferred price range from another member here.

If you don't mind where are you located?

It may depend on where you live, someone local is handy. The sponsors on this site are a good place to start. At the top of the page click on Long Range Rifles, and look at some of those ready to go. With some of the better builders time to deliver can be a couple of years. Quality components, assembled by quality people, good enough to guarantee their work is going to be in that mid $4000 range starting from scratch. Other good sites to visit include, but not limited to Defensive Edge, R Bros, Northwest Precision

Re-reading your first post you like Weatherby they do have their Range certified models. Go to their site, and work your way through "build a rifle" tool. Roughly putting in your preferences they have one model at about $1200.

The classifieds here are good to just shop your way through and get ideas. Some good deals there, but it's always a bit stressful on the net. There is a thread regarding good folks to buy from. I got a nice .300 that's been grouping between 0.5-0.75" at 100 that would be in your preferred price range from another member here.

If you don't mind where are you located?
Picking up your ball.

I have now purchased five rifles from members through our classifieds section. Each of them has proven to be just as they were represented.

If you have any questions about a given seller it doesn't take long to figure out who's who around here with a few PM's.

Even buying through complete strangers though I've had no problems. I will have them give me the info on their FFL and send payment to the FFL with instructions for it to be handed to the seller upon the weapon passing inspection.

So far it has always worked without a hitc with both sellers from here as well as on Armslist.

Thanks for both of your help!
To answer a few questions, $4k is very very far from what I can afford. But the suggestion about he Weatherby site is a great one, I'll give that a shot.

I like the idea of the Weatherby and other accuracy guarantees. I think if money were less of an object, I would go for a Sako 85. With the right stock, it probably gives me what I want in all ways. But that price is just too far for me, though maybe if I waited a year or so, I could reach it. Not sure.

I live in Austin, TX, btw.

One other point I thought I would put out there on the back country, or any fluted barrel. The BC has some good reviews, some not so good. I think that barrel heats up too quickly and flexes more than I might like.

What I understand is that fluting the #2 contour barrel weakens it vs the regular vanguard barrel (unfluted #2). So it might be better in the end to get a standard vanguard or an RC one, then have weatherby install the BC stock and bed it. If I went with a RC gun, the price for this jumps dramatically...into Sako 85 territory. So not sure on that, but either way, I can have Weatherby 'convert' a standard S2 into a BC, sans the fluting, and the total would be $1200 with the cerakote from Weatherby (400 for stock and bedding, 300 for Cerakote, 500 for the base rifle). With the RC, that price jumps about $400.

Lots of options to consider, I think I would like to keep the finished price at $1200 or so, with guaranteed accuracy.

One thing I forgot about the Sako's...they run a 1/11 twist as opposed to 1/10 on most other 300's that I see. As I am more a heavy bullet guy, I wonder if that is a very good idea?

Editing this as I found this on a post here from last year....for me, that makes the A7 not a good idea, I imagine it's the same for the 85..

"Due to the short magazine length, COAL is limited to about 3.325" which is a little shorter the the book max length of 3.340". You can't reach the rifling with your handloads and still load in the magazine. This rifle will not accommodate long bullets but 185 gr. Berger's fit fine. The 26" barrel is fluted and in a varmint type contour. Twist is 11:1 which is in keeping with the short mag length and is designed for bullets in the 180 grain range. "

I'd stay 1-10". The 1-11" will stabilize all but a couple of the Berger bullets on their chart, but that 215 is sure growing on me, Of course it could be just habit I've always had 1-10" and it's worked to my expectations.

I'd stay 1-10". The 1-11" will stabilize all but a couple of the Berger bullets on their chart, but that 215 is sure growing on me, Of course it could be just habit I've always had 1-10" and it's worked to my expectations.

Yeah, I want a 1-10. Plus, it sounds like the magazines are too short. I am more of a bigger, heavier bullet at moderate velocities guy rather than a hyperspeed shooter. I shoot a 375 h&h alot if that puts it in perspective.

BTW, I have not been able to find a way to design a vanguard on the weatherby site that is range certified, but also has custom options (specifically the stock switch). I tried 'design your own', but those are Mark V's. I tried the production guns one, but there was no upgrade to have it RC'd.

Did you find a way to do it? Basically, I am trying to design an RC gun with the ultralight stock that the BC has. It seems a waste to pay for an RC, then toss the Bell and Carlson stock that's on it for a lighter version. No biggie doing that on the standard vanguard, but I'd prefer not to do that with the much more expensive RC.

Thanks for all your help and advice, looks like I am inching closer to more debt ;)

I didn't pay much attention as I went through and likely it was a Mark V.

>375 is always popular with me.

Have you hit the gun stores, shows and pawn shops, for a beater to start with?

I may not be correct, but isn't the Howa a Vanguard?

I have hit the local stores, nothing just now. Cabelas sometimes blows out S2's later in the year, or at least they did last year. Still, I can pick one up right now new for 500, I doubt I'll ever beat that.

As for Howa and VGD, sorta. Howa make the actions, but not sure on the barrels. And the triggers are very different. The VGD's I have looked at seemed better finished. Plus, the key thing here is the accuracy guarantee. I am basically choosing a manufacturer that gives me that guarantee as insurance. That's why the gun will go back to Weatherby for the stock. I can buy that same stock for $250. Local smith will probably charge me $100 or so to bed it. But if I send it to WBY, they will charge a little more, but the accuracy guarantee stays intact.

This all may sound a little paranoid, but the last rifle I got has a 'reputation' for accuracy, but no guarantee. The rifle cost me about $1200. Add in extending the length of pull, having it properly bedded (was not right from the factory), plus other work and load testing etc.....I have sunk a bunch (for me) into it and still can not quite get to where I am trying to. It shoots okay, but not quite well enough for my needs. So now I am here and will likely loose a lot of the cash I put into trying to get that other rifle to shoot.

I could rebarrel it, but there is no guarantee there either. So considering my luck lately on purchases....I want a guarantee.

Tikkas and Sako's I also considered. But per the last post I put up, in 300 win mag, I plan to shoot heavier bullets, so I want the faster twist.

But if I come upon an S2 with a torn up stock or whatever at a good price...that would be great. I somehow doubt I am going to be my $500 delivered price though.

I'll call WBY on Monday and see if there is a economical way to have a RC S2 with a BC stock put together.

Tikkas and Sako's I also considered. But per the last post I put up, in 300 win mag, I plan to shoot heavier bullets, so I want the faster twist.

I have a SAKO M995 in .300 Win Mag with 1:11" twist 24" barrel, all original factory except for a custom muzzle brake install. I can stabilize the 190 and 210 Berger VLDs. Last year, I harvested a bull elk at 931 yards with 190. Will develop load with 215s after this hunting season.

Good luck!

On the accumark, they are a really sharp rifle!

But the price is running 1600 or better, generally speaking. Even if I saved up, which would be find, I am not in a hurry, the real problem is their weight. I am looking for something in the 7lb range, and the accumarks run 8.75.

Basically, I want a rifle (alone) that is about 7 lbs, has a raised monte carlo and cheek piece stock that fits, and has an accuracy guarantee of 1 MOA or better.

But yeah, I tend to complicate things when I am purchasing. I try to avoid the situation I am in now with copious amounts of research and consideration. Obviously, that does not work out they way I like in many cases.

Feenix, so are the boxes on the 995's longer than on the A7's? And I wonder how the boxes on the 85's are?

I will likely be shooting 180's through to the low 200's (205, 215, whatever). I tend towards slower but bigger for my bullet choices, and I read that posting about the short boxes on the A7 that would make them a poor choice for me.

BTW, I have not been able to find a way to design a vanguard on the weatherby site that is range certified, but also has custom options (specifically the stock switch). I tried 'design your own', but those are Mark V's. I tried the production guns one, but there was no upgrade to have it RC'd.

Did you find a way to do it? Basically, I am trying to design an RC gun with the ultralight stock that the BC has. It seems a waste to pay for an RC, then toss the Bell and Carlson stock that's on it for a lighter version. No biggie doing that on the standard vanguard, but I'd prefer not to do that with the much more expensive RC.

What I found looking back, is under "select a Weatherby". Chose .300 Winchester, the one I looked at briefly is the Vanguard Series 2 RC it's 7.5 lbs, the Backcountry (not RC) is 6.75 lbs.

I didn't see the "Custom Shop" I'm not sure I sent you to the correct portion of the sit.

Feenix, so are the boxes on the 995's longer than on the A7's? And I wonder how the boxes on the 85's are?

I'm not sure but here's what I have with my M995, the pix is with 200gr NAB ...

P9071834_zps46d61939.jpg

P9071833_zps6aea230e.jpg

P9071831_zps08f20b44.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.