Thinking about a 6.5x284

Use it in F-Class but for hunting I'm in the process of going 6.5-06AI for increased performance. Might as well use that long action. But in real life the difference is probably marginal and neither would be what I pull out of the safe for elk.

If you have one tell me how you like it and animals you have taken with it. I reload so want to get the best performance i can out of one if i choose to build. Will be a mule deer / possible elk rifle. Thanks Guys!
Bought mine new in 2010 and took whitetails, hogs and gators with it, all DRT. Shot it a lot at targets also. Great cartridge for 1k shooting and even took it to a mile, where it did just as good as my .300WinMag. The rifle was a Savage 112BVSS and was so accurate from GO that I never did barrel break in. I swapped out the factory barrel with plenty of life in it and shot it with a Lothar Walther pre-fit until a close friend wanted it a couple years ago. He seems to be as enamored with it as I was and thanks me everytime he sees me.
Looking back at the experience, it is a great cartridge. Good components, with Lapua brass being top notch. Easy to load for, great ballistics and an absolute killer! Never lost an animal with it.
Fast forward to today; it's still a great cartridge and will perform better than the reloading manual let on. It almost seems like it's pushed aside so other 6.5 cartridges can shine (and sell). Whatever, LabRadar doesn't lie!
Scratch that itch and enjoy! :)

Bought mine new in 2010 and took whitetails, hogs and gators with it, all DRT. Shot it a lot at targets also. Great cartridge for 1k shooting and even took it to a mile, where it did just as good as my .300WinMag. The rifle was a Savage 112BVSS and was so accurate from GO that I never did barrel break in. I swapped out the factory barrel with plenty of life in it and shot it with a Lothar Walther pre-fit until a close friend wanted it a couple years ago. He seems to be as enamored with it as I was and thanks me everytime he sees me.
Looking back at the experience, it is a great cartridge. Good components, with Lapua brass being top notch. Easy to load for, great ballistics and an absolute killer! Never lost an animal with it.
Fast forward to today; it's still a great cartridge and will perform better than the reloading manual let on. It almost seems like it's pushed aside so other 6.5 cartridges can shine (and sell). Whatever, LabRadar doesn't lie!
Scratch that itch and enjoy! :)
I have 2 - 6.5-284s the 284 parent case is great in any caliber get some good Lapua brass and you can load it too it's potential . I would make a 1-7.5 twist . I also have 2 6.5 prcs that is a great cartridge also but 6.5-284 Lapua brass is easier too come by . I loaded 121gr hammer hunters up too 3342 fps on a max load of N165

I have 2 as well, one LA and the other a SA. The LA is a Savage 111 with a 24" barrel and shoots the 143grELDX at 2960 and the 140gr Speer Gold Dot at 3000. Iv'e only taken mule deer with it and it's performed excellent. The SA is currrently being finished, it has a Xcaliber barrel from Crown Ridge and will have a max OAL of 2.980. IMO, a hot rodded 6.5cm and a downloaded 6.5x284 might be in the same neighborhood but at their peak, they are different animals. Many elk have been taken with 270's and 130gr bullets, I don't see any reason that the 6.5x284 wouldn't be fine for elk with the proper bullet and at suitable ranges.

If you have one tell me how you like it and animals you have taken with it. I reload so want to get the best performance i can out of one if i choose to build. Will be a mule deer / possible elk rifle. Thanks Guys!
Great caliber but very limited in availability of ammo etc.

Personally I prefer the .264wm which is an awesome round overall especially with modern powders.

The 6.5-300wm has proven to be a great wildcat.

The 6.5PRC is standardized and there's endless availability of ammo and components.

I shoot the .260Rem, .264wm, and a 6.5LRM that is a screamer.

My next 6.5 though will be a 6.5-375Ruger.

Excellent choice. It'll do anything you ask of it in North America. Bullet weights up to 156 grains even one or two at 160 in a round nose option. Low recoil, flat and very accurate. I've owned them for years and several barrels later still use mine. Killed numerous deer with mine as it's all I use it for. The parent case is very successful and has many offspring of great success also. Don't hesitate and don't look back. You won't regret it.

It's been my most carried whitetail gun for years. Currently run a Berger 140 vld with Retumbo @ 2,952fps. I can't say anything bad about 6.5x284 are the parent case 284Win. Would I buy are build again yes. I would recommend the Lapua brass as mentioned in previous post, don't rule out the 120gr class projectiles I played with just a few rounds before deer season one evening with a hammer hunter 121gr and Hybrid 100 with some great speed so I'll be chasing a load this spring, good luck.