PC-7 as bedding compound??

Works well with minimal air voids or pockets. Use a good coating of release agent but apply the release agent smoothly for a better final finish. Also leave a little extra along the edges by the barrel and receiver as it will shrink down then sand or file to the desired look later after dry. Don't be in a hurry to pull the barreled action. PC-7 takes a good 24 hrs to completely cure even in a dry summer climate. I like the color, it dries to a dark gray and goes well with dark colored stocks along the edges where you can see the bedding.

PC-7 works well, but I prefer Marine Tex.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff
I have some marine tex ordered but it may be a while as it was backordered to me (a few weeks now) and I cannot find it locally. I do have an un opened 1# can(s) of PC-7 that is less than a year old. In the past, I've used PC-7 to repair pitted, porous and cracked castings on pumps and gearboxs' with 100% success. (fingers crossed)

Since it has been a long time since I glass bedded a rifle, the backorder may be a blessing in disguise. I'm going to "practice" on a 10-22 with the PC7 product and when the marine tex arrives I'll continue with my 700's. The practice will show me how much shrinkage to expect and hone technique.

As for release agent, I have an aerosol dry teflon (might be silicone?? ) product we used on a plastic extrusion molds. Nothing sticks to it, not even good duct tape. Once applied, the coating is nearly inperceptable. I'll test on some scraps of steel first to make sure it works on the epoxy.

In my post, I was wondering if there would be any unpleasant surprises.

Thanks again
Pete

Last edited:
The shrinkage I referred to is very minimal. I just like a nice clean edge there where it shows and wanted to tell you so you didn't scrape it flat and then have a little dip.

Jeff

I don't expect that to be a problem as I'll probably chamfer all the edges to prevent the corners from chipping in the future.

And if I screw it up as magnificently as I'm capable of doing, I'll just rout it out and try again until I get it right. :D

Thanks
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts