Out testing a 338 Snipe-Tac

Black Diamond 408

I'm in the process of finishing up another Snipe-Tac, A big brown truck dropped off a box from ABS barrels monday. Inside was a 1.400 breech tapered to 1.200 at the muzzle, 30" long. Man does this barrel look good! I got the bbl fitted and stock ready, now for some initial tests, BUT i have't had time to put on the muzzle brake yet...HMMM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Well it can't be all that bad shooting a 11# rifle 140grns of WC872 and the 300MK bullet...Ok Well...i think i seen this same thing in a cartoon one day, Elmer fud shot the gun and it drove him back into a hay stack. Well it wasn't that bad but it wasn't pleasant either. I rolled up a towel behind the stock for my shock absorber...the hardest thing was hanging onto the rifle. The first two shots in one hole, third was about 3/8" high. I can safely say it will not be shot again untill the brake is installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm on my way to the chiropractor...updates later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

Black Diamond 408,
LOL now you know what's like to shoot a real man's rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
After getting slammed twice on the same place of your shoulder, maybe you did press a little harder against
the shoulder as a deffense mechanism and caused the
bullet to impact 3/8" hight; still great shooting! IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Quote Clint Eastwood "A man just needs to know his limitations"

[/ QUOTE ]
and there's no way to know what they are until you exceed them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya let wifey shoot it.
Oh Honey!!! Got a minute.
Just hold it like this, remember to squeeze the trigger !!
And than!!! Get away !!!

Eaglet,

There was once upon a time I made a rifle chambered in my 510 Allen Magnum, made a huge 5 port muzzle brake for her as well, worked up loads to a very comfortable 2750 fps with the 750 gr A-Max and went out to shoot her.

Very comfortable to shoot, much less recoil them my old LAR Grizzly 50 BMG with the 750 gr loaded to 2650 fps.

Got to thinking, I wonder just how effective my brake design was and decided I would screw it off and put a round though the rifle just to prove to myself how effective my design was.

I got down on the rifle and just before I pulled the trigger I realized I was about to throw 750 grains of bullet with 250 grains of powder out of a 33 lb rifle with no muzzle brake.

My common sense over powered my ego in wanting to know how effective my muzzle brake design was working and I lifted the bolt and cleared the round.

Moral of the story, have faith in yourself and your products, will keep you healthy in the long run by not doing stupid things!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I am not saying shooting an unbraked 338 ST is a stupid thing by any means it would certainly not be dangerous,

Shooting an unbraked 510 AM would be another story.

I would rather rely on common sense then luck to keep me healthy!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Ya let wifey shoot it.
Oh Honey!!! Got a minute.
Just hold it like this, remember to squeeze the trigger !!
And than!!! Get away !!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Better make sure you only give her one round of ammo!

Fiftydriver,

my friend, I was so proud of you untill I read:

[ QUOTE ]
I got down on the rifle and just before I pulled the trigger I realized I was about to throw 750 grains of bullet with 250 grains of powder out of a 33 lb rifle with no muzzle brake.

My common sense over powered my ego in wanting to know how effective my muzzle brake design was working and I lifted the bolt and cleared the round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously now, I'm glad you did not pull the trigger!!!

I was cracking up so bad when I started reading your post.
I really got a laugh this mornig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've shot a 50bmg unbraked several times, 30# rifle, yea it was scary! My neighbor shot it a bunch of times, but hes not all there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif More of a big push.

The Snipe tac was not designed to shoot without the brake, but it is not bad offhand. Bench shooting it jumps around, cant be good for accuracy. We have all seen the 577 Trany videos, the snipe-tac dont recoil like that. I'm very sure Brando will be using the brake most of the time. It was more for quick testing and chits and giggles!

In the process of installing the brake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts