Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Re: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision (SKU: 19137)

I think we're talking about the same model, but here's a link to the one I'm talking about...

If you go to the "Browse the models" at Savagearms.com

Then click on "Target Rifle Series"

The model I'm talking about is the 12 Long Range Precision (I abbreviated it LRP). It's SKU is: 19137 for the 6.5 Creedmoor calibered model.

It shows a 4 round capacity, and does have the AccuTrigger and the HS Precision fiberglass stock.

This one shows a barrel length of 26", so maybe we're not talking about the same rifle?

MSRP on the one I'm looking at is $1,170 but I'm not sure what I can pick one up for around here or on the net.

that's a different rifle. The one I'm talking about only comes as a single shot. Plus the barrel is unfluted at 30". The stock is from HS Precision with three bedding screws instead of two (this is key to the way it shoots). The way I understand it they are built in their custom shop one up, and there's a large list of rounds you can get. Plus the reciever is a right bolt, left port action with a solid top. The one I saw was really nice, and I just gotta get one.
gary

that's a different rifle. The one I'm talking about only comes as a single shot. Plus the barrel is unfluted at 30". The stock is from HS Precision with three bedding screws instead of two (this is key to the way it shoots). The way I understand it they are built in their custom shop one up, and there's a large list of rounds you can get. Plus the reciever is a right bolt, left port action with a solid top. The one I saw was really nice, and I just gotta get one.
gary

What calibers does this configuration come in?

What calibers does this configuration come in?

as I understand it, there is a long list of calibers that can be chambered. The rifles comes out of their custom shop, so I imagine there are lots of options to boot. The one example I've seen was pretty much generic. Might be worth your time to either send them an email or better yet give them a phone call.

The reason I keep saying to get the single shot bolt action no matter which one you opt for is the rgidity of the action verses one with a mag well. It's a good bit stiffer, and with that large open top you'll want that. Secondly the RBLP actions are said to be three time stiffer yet. This alone starts you out right. The caliber you select is your own personal choice, and there have been several goods ones posted. You do want one with the large barrel thread as that aids barrel support in the bridge area.

Somewhere around the house I have the Precision Shooting review of this rifle. I'll dig it up this week. The rifle I looked at didn't quite group as well as the one they had, but their target furnished still did a three shot .150" group with off the shelf factory ammo. That ain't exactly what I'd call bad in any way! The one they reviewed had a test target of a little over .100" (want to say .120")
gary

armalite ar-10t: 2000$ 1moa guaranteeing with match ammo

bushnell elite 6500 tactical 2.5-16x 42mm: 700$ at optics planet.

upper end of price but mild recoil. good factory ammo, 1 moa garuntee and ready to go out of box. no lead times like a custom rig. put 40 more bux torawds a bipod and go shoot and have fun!! gun)

armalite ar-10t: 2000$ 1moa guaranteeing with match ammo

bushnell elite 6500 tactical 2.5-16x 42mm: 700$ at optics planet.

upper end of price but mild recoil. good factory ammo, 1 moa garuntee and ready to go out of box. no lead times like a custom rig. put 40 more bux torawds a bipod and go shoot and have fun!! gun)

for less money you can buy the Precision Target Rifle from Savage. It comes with a proof target shot from factory off the shelf ammo that anyone can buy. I saw a photo of one three shot group that was .110", and the one rifle I've seen came with one that was 5/32" center center. That's roughly .15 MOA. That's not the only rifle that will do this. I think the Weatherby Accumark comes with a proof target and a better guarantee of accuracey. I think the high grade Remingtons come with a guarantteed accuracey for a lot less money envolved.
gary

Savage Precision Target Rifle?

for less money you can buy the Precision Target Rifle from Savage. gary

Gary,

Is this listed on their site, or are there any pictures of one floating around? I don't have any info on this one, but wouldn't mind comparing it price/performancewise to the LRP I have in mind.

Thanks again guys!

The model 12 lrp is a precision target action with the bottom cut for a dbm, still has the heavy top on the reciever and target accutrigger, just a small cut for the clip. It sits in a HS pro series, barrel is 26" straight taper to 1". Flutes are coated gloss black, and its all stainless just black coated. My local guy can have them out the door for less than 900. The true single shot rifles are a tid bit sturdier as gary said, and the model Gary is referring to is 12 lrpv.

Savage Arms was the first to come to mind.

They do some amazing stuff with their factory guns, with good scope and ammo of course. They usually have the highest percentage of straight throats and chambers compared to other manufacturers.

Re: Savage Precision Target Rifle?

Gary,

Is this listed on their site, or are there any pictures of one floating around? I don't have any info on this one, but wouldn't mind comparing it price/performancewise to the LRP I have in mind.

Thanks again guys!

I kinda gather you order it thru their custom shop. It's a left port right bolt short action single shot rifle with three screw bedding and a large barrel shank. Barrel is about 30" long in a strait contour of about 1" diameter. I've seen one, and Precision Shooting did an artical on it a few years back. They claimed the action alone was over three times stiffer than a typical savage magazine rifle. I gather it's a $1500 rifle, and not a typical varmit rifle. Might be worth the time to call them about it.

Of course you could simply buy the action and build your own with a better McMillen stock. Probably what I'd do.
gary

The model 12 lrp is a precision target action with the bottom cut for a dbm, still has the heavy top on the reciever and target accutrigger, just a small cut for the clip. It sits in a HS pro series, barrel is 26" straight taper to 1". Flutes are coated gloss black, and its all stainless just black coated. My local guy can have them out the door for less than 900. The true single shot rifles are a tid bit sturdier as gary said, and the model Gary is referring to is 12 lrpv.

If he's talking about the 12 LRPV (Left Port), that is a single shot, but the barrel is still 26". That's why I think we're talking about two different animals here. I

I did consider the LRPV as well, but they don't chamber it in the 6.5 Creedmoor I want from the factory.

Gary is talking about the 12LRPV as was I and you can get it from the custom shop in 6.5 creedmoor with a 30" barrel for about 100$ bucks extra. But there are 2 versions of the LRPV a single and a dual port.

If he's talking about the 12 LRPV (Left Port), that is a single shot, but the barrel is still 26". That's why I think we're talking about two different animals here. I

I did consider the LRPV as well, but they don't chamber it in the 6.5 Creedmoor I want from the factory.

The rifle they show on the Savage website is similar, but still different. Theirs has a 26" fluted barrel similar to a regular varmit barrel. The one I saw had a 30" barrel with what looked to be a 1" diameter strait taper. The trigger was extremely light right out of the box (maybe 10oz. to 12oz.). Even the recoil lug looked heavier. The action had a third bedding screw almost directly under the loading ramp. I've seen exactly one and saw photos of another.
gary

Gary is talking about the 12LRPV as was I and you can get it from the custom shop in 6.5 creedmoor with a 30" barrel for about 100$ bucks extra. But there are 2 versions of the LRPV a single and a dual port.

the one I looked over had a left port with a right bolt. I never have seen a dual port, but can readilly see the advantage shooting high powered rounds. Anyway your looking at $1500 for the rifle, and another thousand for a top quality set of optics and mounts. That's fairly cheap for those kind of groups.
How you order a custom shop rifle I don't know, but the guys told me the list of options was a mile long. You almost had to wait in line toget a good look at it! If the proof targets are for real, this is absolutely the most accurate out of the box rifle you can buy.
gary

Houston, we have LIFTOFF!!!!

THIS

PLUS

The one I saw had a 30" barrel with what looked to be a 1" diameter strait taper. The trigger was extremely light right out of the box (maybe 10oz. to 12oz.). Even the recoil lug looked heavier. The action had a third bedding screw almost directly under the loading ramp. I've seen exactly one and saw photos of another.

PLUS

the one I looked over had a left port with a right bolt. I never have seen a dual port, but can readilly see the advantage shooting high powered rounds. Anyway your looking at $1500 for the rifle, and another thousand for a top quality set of optics and mounts. That's fairly cheap for those kind of groups.

PLUS

You almost had to wait in line to get a good look at it! If the proof targets are for real, this is absolutely the most accurate out of the box rifle you can buy. gary

Is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!!

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!

I'll put a call in to Savage tomorrow and see what their order process is, or if there is some information out there on these rifles.

Again, thanks so much again for all the help here. I really appreciate it!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.