OPINIONS WANTED, Sako 85 in 6.5x284

etisll40

I like the new Sako 85 Varmint stainless steel, any opinions welcomed.

They don't make it in 6.5x284 though, is it worth buying and re-barrelling?

Can a 260 be converted to 6.5x284 by a smith?

All OPINIONS welcomed especially by anyone that owns a Sako 85 Varmint, functioning, durability, trigger they are putting in them right now, general out of the box accuracy, etc.

Thanks

I bought a sako 85 varmint in 243 a few years back and that has been my go to gun for the best out of the box accuracy. I shoot 75 v max in .2 moa with it. The trigger is amazing in my opinion since it is 2 pounds regular and 8 oz when set. I dont see any reason you couldnt rechamber a 260 to 6.5x284 but good luck finding one in 260.

Thanks Trek, I'm now wondering what action length the 260 comes in, could that be an issue if I want to seat bullets out? They do make a 6.5x55 too, not sure if that could be used, they are typically a long action. Maybe set the barrel back a 1/2" on that? This is starting to be a gunsmith question, new barrel and sell the old is a possibility. I like the trigger, action and stock and overall look of this rifle, that is what I am really after but I think 6.5x284 is the caliber I want.

They list all sorts of cartridges for that model on the sako website but for some reason only a few of them are sold in the US. All I've seen are 204, 223, 243, and 308 in that model. About the longer bullets... yes you would need to go with their 06 length action. It would probably be easier and cheaper to buy a used sako 75 or 85 with the action size you want and build from there. I have a sako 75 in 270 and its a great rifle... I have no issues with the 75. I have bought a 85 in 243 and just had it rechambered to 6mm ackley and a 85 in 300 win mag to a 300 dakota. Unless you want a specific barrel i would say shoot up the factory one first since they have been so accurate in my experience. The downside to sako is a very limited aftermarket.

I believe that the 260 sako 85 is on the shorter action. I recently bought a 85 finnlight in 6.5x55 to re-chamber in 6.5x284. The 6.5x55 is on the same length action that they use for the 30-06. After shooting the 6.5x55 sweede i hate to re-chamber as it is such a sweet shooter. Down the road I may do some sort of AI on this as it wouldn't be to far behind the 6.5x284.

finish-02-look-down.gif

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bolt-face-diameters-36661/

If you are building a 6.5x284 you want a long action to shoot heavy VLD bullets, as you will probably need to seat them long to get minimum jump to the lands. The 6.5x55 is actually an in between length (remember the .308 is called the 7.62x51NATO in milspec), like the 7x57, so if you find one, it is probably on a long action and you'd be good to go. But if you shoot it before you tear it down, you might find you don't need the velocity gain from the 284 case after all. Handloaders can get pretty good numbers from the old swede without getting crazy, and my 6.5x284 is most accurate at 2875fps anyway. Something to think on...

I have a sako 85 finnlight. When you buy a sako, you have to remember that they are practically NO aftermarket parts. What you get is what you will end up with. Now, the good part about a sako is that it is a very sweet rifle out of the box. Also, remember that you will not find stocks, triggers, or picatinny rails as you would find for another brand. If you buy a sako, at least make sure you buy one that comes with a wood stock, not a synthetic.

Other than that, you will be okay.

GIl

I have a .260 Rem Sako 85 Varmint, SS/Laminated with a 23 5/8" barrel (1:8") standard out of the box. At the moment I'm using 123 gr Lapua Scenars over Vihtavuori N550 in Lapua cases. Next I'll be working up some Hornady 140 gr A-Max with VV N560.

A few pics from yesterday's visit to the 100 metre range:

GzHg9DQ.png

JV65eR2.png

LMo8Lc4.png

Not recommending anything, just showing what works for me

EDIT: I have added a cheek pad so it's not completely standard:

XPp39aA.png

Cheers

Last edited:
I have a sako 85 finnlight. When you buy a sako, you have to remember that they are practically NO aftermarket parts. What you get is what you will end up with. Now, the good part about a sako is that it is a very sweet rifle out of the box. Also, remember that you will not find stocks, triggers, or picatinny rails as you would find for another brand. If you buy a sako, at least make sure you buy one that comes with a wood stock, not a synthetic.

Other than that, you will be okay.

GIl

GRS in Norway do stocks for the 85s among a a lot of other models, Near Manufacturing in Canada and Roedale Precision in Germany do Picatinny rails. Google is your friend here. No need to worry about the trigger. I have the set trigger on mine. Brilliant!

I use Sako's standard Optilocks - expensive but great.

Cheers

Great opinions guys. AMCE is showing the rifle I like. I like the laminate look too, over the stainless steel and fluted barrel, it has the Sendero look. The other thing, is the trigger they are putting in this gun, it is adjustable and has a set feature. I kinda think either the 6.5x55, 30-06 with that boltface and action length is most valuable to me. Although the 260 fits the bill. I have a swede in a savage now and it is 1 heck of a cartridge but still not a 6.5x284, I suppose it could be easily reamed into an ackley improved and I'd be in the 6.5x284 ballpark. If that didn't do it, then rebarrel later. I'm starting to lean to that now. I don't expect to mess with aftermarket stuff on this the Sako 85, it's hunting rifle and puts a nice Sako in my collection. I'm Sako-less at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.