Old guy, new hobby.

Buck1970

Hello, I don't know anything about forums, don't use social media, don't even have a Facebook. I've been reading and learning from this one for a couple of years. I do like to hunt and shoot and want to get better at longer distances. I'm not a reloader and I can't spend thousands of dollars on equipment. I've been in deep north east Texas all my life where long shots are 200 yards. I'm a high school Agriculture Science teacher and have taught hunter education here for 25 years. Looking forward to learning more and possibly helping out some as well so I finally decided to join.

Howdy! Neighbor to the east. N. Tx. Here. Welcome to the group. Lotsa good folks here. At those distances you won't need to spend much money at all.
Thanks
Howdy! Neighbor to the east. N. Tx. Here. Welcome to the group. Lotsa good folks here. At those distances you won't need to spend much money at all.
Thanks. Grew up still hunting the woods. Dad always said if they're too far, get closer.
I've gone from that to hunting large fields and pastures and we try and go out west when we get the chance. Built a range at my place out to 500. Hope to some day stretch to 1000. It's really the wife who attempts to put the limits on the funds! Lol

Hello, I don't know anything about forums, don't use social media, don't even have a Facebook. I've been reading and learning from this one for a couple of years. I do like to hunt and shoot and want to get better at longer distances. I'm not a reloader and I can't spend thousands of dollars on equipment. I've been in deep north east Texas all my life where long shots are 200 yards. I'm a high school Agriculture Science teacher and have taught hunter education here for 25 years. Looking forward to learning more and possibly helping out some as well so I finally decided to join.
Welcome buck 1970 I am from Tennessee have a few years on you and i only got a smart phone a couple years ago not very good at forums but learning I don't do Facebook I do handload and love to shoot long-distance we're never too old to learn new tricks and don't worry about affording reloading equipment and things like that as with most people better equipment is acquired over longer periods of time you're on a great forum to learn much about reloading and shooting. Bill

Welcome from Canada

We're in the same boat up here,,, a long shot in the thick of things is 66 feet to 147 yards,,, 90% of my harvests are in well under 100 yards with exceptions of some closer and others out further,,, once in a blue moon we get the long shots...

The old fellow that got me into long range told me to plant my rifle like a land cannon,,, click away at dry firing till I feel 100 % sure I'm comfortable behind the gun,,, then luanch 1...

Repeat this dry fire idea once again and learn what it takes to stay on target...

You'll find that a 22 rimfire will be a awesome learning tool...

Good luck going forward buck,,, don't over think it and enjoy the good times...

PS: The only reason I reload is because I'm a old school free hand sling shooter from the iron silhouette full bore days,,, I need lots of ammo to account for all the iron gongs I miss. Ha

Cheers from the North

Thanks a lot fellas.
Not sure why, but I seem to have this inner desire to see if I can hit something(even metal), waaayyy out there.
I guess that's what this is all about.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.