Nosler releases 27 Nosler and more

If it's the same parent case as the 28, it will probably smoke both of those, at least 150 fps, maybe 200 fps over the 270 wby with the same sized bullets. Just my guess.

At Elk camp we compared my 270 Wby cartridge next to a 28 Nos...they looked very similar.

My 270 Wby, 28", 1-9 twist barrel. 3225 fps for the 170 Bergers, 3350 fps for 150 SSTs. 3570 fps for 140 SSTs and 3670 fps for 130 SSTs with out any load development.

Last edited:
At Elk camp we compared my 270 Wby cartridge next to a 28 Nos...they looked very similar.

My 270 Wby, 28", 1-9 twist barrel. 3225 fps for the 170 Bergers, 3350 fps for 150 SSTs. 3570 fps for 140 SSTs and 3670 fps for 130 SSTs with out any load development.
That's smokin fast, Just curious as to what brand barrel you are running? I would bet money that your 150 sst @ 3350 would shoot bugholes with a little tuning.

That's smokin fast, Just curious as to what brand barrel you are running? I would bet money that your 150 sst @ 3350 would shoot bugholes with a little tuning.

Your twist matches up good for that 150 sst. BC is about .520 g1. The sst is a lightning fast killer. Should buck the wind great @ 3350

Benchmark Barrel, Mausingfield action. Can load long. With a Mark V action can only load to less than 3.4". With a Mausingfield action can load to almost 3.7". Load the 170 Bergers to 3.5".

Your twist matches up good for that 150 sst. BC is about .520 g1. The sst is a lightning fast killer. Should buck the wind great @ 3350

The 140 SSTs @ 3570 fps with no load development...magnetospeed, bipod and rear bag out of the back of my pick-up.

140 ssts.jpg
130 SSTs @ 3670 fps...

Shot same as above...

(Pure luck?)

140 SST.jpg

170 Bergers @ 3225 fps, ES less than 10 on a 10 shot group...

170 B.jpg

Bring it on Nosler....:)

Last edited:
I really like my 35 Whelen (35 Whelen), it is one of the best cartridges in my safe. It is always dependable, and a very good cartridge for black bear hunting. When I told the last guide that I was using a Whelen he smiled. I asked him the reason for the smile, he said, "Because we don't have to track them!". Many decades ago I had a .358 Norma magnum built on a Win model 70 action, it was extremely accurate, but never got to hunt with it. I am not sure what a 35 Nosler would be like for recoil or for muzzle energy, the Whelen is about all that I care to handle in that department. I am also a .270 Winchester fan, just built a .270 Ackley Improved and have found it to be a little faster than the .270 Weatherby, and.....still working on a load. Good to find others who like the "ole school" cartridges, they certainly are worth comparing them to the "new" school, "super" cartridges that mimic the ole school cartridges.
The .270 Win. was my first rifle. I have others and like them all, but the .270 Win. and 35 Whelen are my favorites.

The trouble is that rifles chambered in cartridges like 270 win, 270 wsm in factory form are not saami throated for 170 eol or a 165 ablr nor have nearly enough twist. So If Remington or whoever builds factory rifles in 270 win or wsm with fast 8 twist & long freebore for those two bullets mentioned, it's probably going to be very poor accuracy with 130 grain bullets. All prior 270 cartridges we're solely based to be ideal for 130gr bullets. The 150s had to be shoved deep into the case and are of marginal stability for a 10 twist if they are long higher bc type.
In my last issue or Rifle magazine John Barsness did another article on the .270 Win., but this time with older and new bullets. Even the 170gr stabilized in the standard twist (yes faster is better for them). The other LR bullets work very well in the old .270. The 150gr. bullets are not to long for the 270. Noslers 160gr. and hawks 165gr. are made for the standard 1-10 twist and work very well, no they are not "long range" bullets. The point is the 270 can handle heaver longer bullets than what is offered. Why is the 277 bullets coming along much slower? Because it has all ways ben looked at as a hunting cartridge not a target one, so bullets and rifles have all ways ben built just as such. 30 cal. has ben used for milt., target, and hunting for over a hundred years, so it is going to have a lot of bullets options, same for the 7mm. The 6.5's have ben used for milt. as well, the old 6.5's were made with fast twist because the Europeans liked it with the long round nose 160gr. bullets and they needed a faster twist to stabilize. This made it an ease caliber to adapt to the new high BC bullets.

I
In my last issue or Rifle magazine John Barsness did another article on the .270 Win., but this time with older and new bullets. Even the 170gr stabilized in the standard twist (yes faster is better for them). The other LR bullets work very well in the old .270. The 150gr. bullets are not to long for the 270. Noslers 160gr. and hawks 165gr. are made for the standard 1-10 twist and work very well, no they are not "long range" bullets. The point is the 270 can handle heaver longer bullets than what is offered. Why is the 277 bullets coming along much slower? Because it has all ways ben looked at as a hunting cartridge not a target one, so bullets and rifles have all ways ben built just as such. 30 cal. has ben used for milt., target, and hunting for over a hundred years, so it is going to have a lot of bullets options, same for the 7mm. The 6.5's have ben used for milt. as well, the old 6.5's were made with fast twist because the Europeans liked it with the long round nose 160gr. bullets and they needed a faster twist to stabilize. This made it an ease caliber to adapt to the new high BC bullets.
I have no quarrels with 277 caliber. Will be happy to see it standardized for long heavies. I have shot 170 eol & 150 sst in my 10 twist 270. While it would shoot both of those moa or a little better, the 170 showed signs of being marginally stable down range. The best grouping bullets I have shot in a 10 twist 270 were usually 130 grains and were not finicky. 140s also shot well. 150 ssts weren't bad. But of all the shooting I've done across many Calibers & cartridges I have noticed how bullets of various length and weight react to twist. Sometimes I have been surprised at how a bullet that shouldn't be fully stabilized will shoot great and not be finicky. But more times than not, a bullet just groups tighter with the Ideal twist for its length & weight. It is more noticeable at greater distances. Doesn't matter what caliber, theres no magic caliber. I won't argue that sometimes you can get one to shoot great when it's on the lower end of stability because I have done it myself and that's great when it turns out that way. I just can't help but believe the 170 eol wouldn't be a lot less finicky in an 8 twist vs a 10.

Last edited:
I

I have no quarrels with 277 caliber. Will be happy to see it standardized for long heavies. I have shot 170 eol & 150 sst in my 10 twist 270. While it would shoot both of those moa or a little better, the 170 showed signs of being marginally stable down range. The best grouping bullets I have shot in a 10 twist 270 were usually 130 grains and were not finicky. 140s also shot well. 150 ssts weren't bad. But of all the shooting I've done across many Calibers & cartridges I have noticed how bullets of various length and weight react to twist. Sometimes I have been surprised at how a bullet that shouldn't be fully stabilized will shoot great and not be finicky. But more times than not, a bullet just groups tighter with the Ideal twist for its length & weight. It is more noticeable at greater distances. Doesn't matter what caliber, theres no magic caliber. I won't argue that sometimes you can get one to shoot great when it's on the lower end of stability because I have done it myself and that's great when it turns out that way. I just can't help but believe the 170 eol wouldn't be a lot less finicky in an 8 twist vs a 10.

I have saw the fruits of too much twist as well by trying to get 100gr bullets to shoot in a 7.5 twist 6.5 cm. It was very finicky. Again not saying it can't be done or even couldn't be done easily for some folks, I just couldn't do it as easy with 100gr pills in that rifle vs 140-147gr pills

IMO the 27 Nosler in a case somewhat shorter than the 33 Case would be perfect for 130's to 155's.

the 27 Nosler is the same length as the 26 and 28 just has the shoulder pushed back a little over .050 so it cant fire in the other chambers.
you can make brass out of the 26 or 28 pretty easy it is just one pass
through the sizing die.
it is only 50-75 fps faster than a 270 Weatherby

This thread reminds me of a conservation I had with a Remington official when they released the SAUM cartridges... He told me this: "We don't have new customers to sell our old stuff to, so we invent new stuff to sell to our old customers..." Think about it... DD 62
I wonder what happened to that Remington guy? SAUM's are going on close to 20 years old now with nothing new from Rem. since. They dropped the SAUM's and make rifles in WSM! Should've kept that guy around! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.