Nosler releases 27 Nosler and more

I

I have no quarrels with 277 caliber. Will be happy to see it standardized for long heavies. I have shot 170 eol & 150 sst in my 10 twist 270. While it would shoot both of those moa or a little better, the 170 showed signs of being marginally stable down range. The best grouping bullets I have shot in a 10 twist 270 were usually 130 grains and were not finicky. 140s also shot well. 150 ssts weren't bad. But of all the shooting I've done across many Calibers & cartridges I have noticed how bullets of various length and weight react to twist. Sometimes I have been surprised at how a bullet that shouldn't be fully stabilized will shoot great and not be finicky. But more times than not, a bullet just groups tighter with the Ideal twist for its length & weight. It is more noticeable at greater distances. Doesn't matter what caliber, theres no magic caliber. I won't argue that sometimes you can get one to shoot great when it's on the lower end of stability because I have done it myself and that's great when it turns out that way. I just can't help but believe the 170 eol wouldn't be a lot less finicky in an 8 twist vs a 10.
Well said

the 27 Nosler is the same length as the 26 and 28 just has the shoulder pushed back a little over .050 so it cant fire in the other chambers.
you can make brass out of the 26 or 28 pretty easy it is just one pass
through the sizing die.
it is only 50-75 fps faster than a 270 Weatherby
So why not use 270 weatherby? Oh I know brass is more expensive "right"!!! Horse feathers!

the 27 Nosler is the same length as the 26 and 28 just has the shoulder pushed back a little over .050 so it cant fire in the other chambers.
you can make brass out of the 26 or 28 pretty easy it is just one pass
through the sizing die.
it is only 50-75 fps faster than a 270 Weatherby
It should be considerably faster than that no?
The 28 can drive a 140 over 3600 out of the factory tube, freebore etc. The 270 wby in factory configuration runs 140s around 3450 at max pressure
So even if the 27 drops some velocity due to the loss of bore diam I think it will still outpace the wby. By 150' +\-
But its appeal to me is if the 27 is appropriately twisted and throated for 160-170 gainers

The 28 can drive a 140 over 3600 out of the factory tube, freebore etc. The 270 wby in factory configuration runs 140s around 3450 at max pressure
So even if the 27 drops some velocity due to the loss of bore diam I think it will still outpace the wby. By 150' +\-
But its appeal to me is if the 27 is appropriately twisted and throated for 160-170 gainers
having first hand experience with the 270 wby and the 27 nosler I just offered my experience. the wby with the 170 berger will top out about 3200 the nosler tops out at 3270 in mine. pushing either one any harder lost accuracy.
now my 270-338 rum imp will get them moving.
don't think you can safely push a 140 in a 28 that fast, not in the ones I worked with

The "factory 27 Nosler" is not a " Wby factory configuration". I can drive a 140 out of my 270 Wby to over 3600 fps if, I wanted to chase that bullet (3570 fps with out any load development, see above pics). My gun is not "stock". I have shown with the above pics...and with the chrono info...

My gun is closer to the Nosler (Gunwerks) gun ? Sometimes things just work...

@can1010 is right, there is a good node @ 3225 fps + with the 170 Bergers...

As always...confirm your drops...:) and have fun....

Last edited:
The "factory 27 Nosler" is not a "factory configuration". I can drive a 140 out of my 270 Wby to over 3600 fps if I wanted to chase that bullet (3570 fps with out any load development, see above pics). My gun is not "stock". I have shown with the above pics...and with the chrono info...

My gun is closer to the Nosler (Gunwerks) gun ? Sometimes things just work...

Can1010 is right, there is a good node @ 3225 fps + with the 170 Bergers...

As always...confirm your drops...:)

Your reported configuration( 3.7" coal, 28" barrel) and reported velocities are so outside the realm of anything closely resembling a factory round they're moot to this conversation. In fact, what you've designed is more akin to a wildcat by moving the bullet further out and stuffing the void with powder you've changed the cartridge I'd bet, given the velocity claims your also running a shorter freebore than factory. So again not relevant.

And the 27 nosler is going to be a factory offered round thus the reason for this thread.

Your reported configuration( 3.7" coal, 28" barrel) and reported velocities are so outside the realm of anything closely resembling a factory round they're moot to this conversation. In fact, what you've designed is more akin to a wildcat by moving the bullet further out and stuffing the void with powder you've changed the cartridge I'd bet, given the velocity claims your also running a shorter freebore than factory. So again not relevant.

And the 27 nosler is going to be a factory offered round thus the reason for this thread.

I must of not explained myself...my magazine has a max length of 3.7". My cartridges have a max length (COAL) of 3.5".

You know nothing of freebore, my stock Wby chamber runs about .378" freebore...

You do not understand what freebore means...

If you are a "factory" person...you are on the wrong site...

All my velocity data is from a Magnetospeed...Your data?

Last edited:
I have owned a Weatherby Mark V in .270 Weatherby Mag, since about 1978. 26 inch Weatherby #2 barrel . Used it on Long Range Mule deer and antelope, and One Elk. The 150 Grain, at that time, was the bullet of choice . Love this rifle /cartridge combo. Can't wait to see the new ballistic tech that become available after 50 years!! Lenny

I must of not explained myself...my magazine has a max length of 3.7". My cartridges have a max length (COAL) of 3.5".

You know nothing of freebore, my stock Wby chamber runs about .378" freebore...

You do not understand what freebore means...

If you are a "factory" person...you are on the wrong site...

All my velocity data is from a Magnetospeed...Your data?
No need to get your panties in a bunch
Your magneto speed needs to be recalibrated though.

No need to get your panties in a bunch
Your magneto speed needs to be recalibrated though.

3600 fps with a 150gr bullet is doable from a 270 Weatherby with a 28" barrel with the right powder. It's a very stout load, but it's doable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.