Nosler Longrange Accubond

Have you read the thread started by Broz about the 215 Berger Hybrid? If I were you and was shooting a 300 Win Mag, I would look into that. I know the Berger's expand quite a bit at close range, but I would actually argue that it leads to a quicker kill. I shot my bull at about 100 yards this year with the 230 Hybrids and the thing barely made it 30 yards before expiring. Yes, they expand, but it is devastating to the internals when they do.

Take a look at the 200 gr Accubond. With a .588 b.c and bonded core it makes for a very good "compromise" hunting bullet.

Chris

I agree, it's proven to be a very tough bullet as well. The two kills I've made with my 300AX and the 200gr AB the bullet impacts were over 3000fps. The 160 yard shot(3085fps) and the 210 yard shot (~3000). Exit was in the neighborhood of 1 inch. It's tough enough to survive some very violent impacts but soft enough to expand on a softer target like a whitetail doe quickly after entering.

Does anyone have any pic's of ABLR's recovered from game??

I would love to see what they look like.

This is a 210 ABLR recovered from a large mature bull elk. 600 yards. Through the right shoulder, through dead center of the spine and then through the offside shoulder. The bullet hit more bone than flesh. Was caught in the offside hide. Retained weight was a bit over 100 grains. Estimated impact velocity was 2172'sec.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 83
AWESOME Michael...thanks for that!

It looks pretty much like a partition does.

700 yards is pretty far off...that bullet had a chance to slow down, so I wonder what a high velocity impact would look like.

I shot allot of game with 160gr regular Accubonds from my 7mm but I think that I read somewhere that the ABLR's are a bit softer than regular Accubonds.

Have you read the thread started by Broz about the 215 Berger Hybrid? If I were you and was shooting a 300 Win Mag, I would look into that. I know the Berger's expand quite a bit at close range, but I would actually argue that it leads to a quicker kill. I shot my bull at about 100 yards this year with the 230 Hybrids and the thing barely made it 30 yards before expiring. Yes, they expand, but it is devastating to the internals when they do.

Yes I have read that thread, a couple times actually. You won't hear me argue that Berger's do some pretty impressive damage to vitals. What I don't like about those bullets though, is what happens when you hit a shoulder at Close Range. At longer distances when the bullet has lost velocity, they will bust shoulders, but I need a bullet that can also bust shoulders at closer ranges. So unfortunately, and I stuck with them for 3 years trying to convince myself they would work, berger's are out for me.

Michael- Thank you, that's exactly what a bullet should look like! What did the two shoulders look like? Through dead center of the spine, that's a high shot, what did the bull do after you shot it?

Regards,

Carson

Yes I have read that thread, a couple times actually. You won't hear me argue that Berger's do some pretty impressive damage to vitals. What I don't like about those bullets though, is what happens when you hit a shoulder at Close Range. At longer distances when the bullet has lost velocity, they will bust shoulders, but I need a bullet that can also bust shoulders at closer ranges. So unfortunately, and I stuck with them for 3 years trying to convince myself they would work, berger's are out for me.

Michael- Thank you, that's exactly what a bullet should look like! What did the two shoulders look like? Through dead center of the spine, that's a high shot, what did the bull do after you shot it?

Regards,

Carson

Shoulders were not tore up much. I don't feel like I lost any appreciable amount of meat. A few inches of back strap maybe and a little on the offside shoulder.

Bull dropped in his tracks as expected.

The simple answer to that is to not aim for the shoulder. Shoot them in the vitals and you will have a dead animal. At close range, that would be a significant miss to hit a shoulder if you were aiming for the vitals.

I shot a 102 lb small racked buck with my XP-100 7mm RSAUM. Bullet was the Nosler 150 ABLR. Muzzle velocity for the load is 2821 fps. Deer was shot at 10 yards.

To say the least, I'm not impressed. Bullet performed exactly opposite of the 30 cal 190 ABLR I used last year.

This is the 7mm Nosler 150 ABLR entrance.

Exit (sorry for the shadow; didn't realize it was there)
[/URL

The hole that appears on the right side is the bullet exit hole. Exit hole might be slightly larger than the entrance but not by much.

The deer left no blood on the ground when it ran off at the shot. The bullet broke the near side shoulder and exited behind the offside shoulder. Deer ran 60-70 yards. It hit the ground just as it ran out of site.

I'm not too impressed with this particular bullet if it performs like this.

The 30 cal 190 ABLR left big holes when I used it on two deer last year.

I am not so sure I should weigh in here, but I am compelled to.

I am always a little shocked when I hear people complain that an animal went 100 yards after a good lung shot. Bullets are not lightning bolts that make things dead just because they touched them. It has always been my expectation to have to track a shot animal after the shot. Regardless of the bullet used. Make the shot, don't assume anything, wait for bit to make sure the animal is dead before heading out for recovery. Give it ten minutes or so. Every one thinks DRT is the standard for a bullet impact. This only happens if you hit the central nervous system. When you blow up the heart or lungs of an animal they have roughly 5 to 10 seconds to live. How far do you think a game animal can run in 5 seconds at full speed? I have found animals that other people shot with perfect lung shots. They didn't bother looking for the animal because it did not fall on the shot. There is no such thing as knock down power. This is a lie created by Hollywood. It is not possible to knock an animal or any other target off its feet with a bullet.

Some times bullet holes do not bleed much. Bullets crush the flesh that they impact. Smashed flesh does not bleed like cut flesh. A responsible hunter learns to track with out a giant blood trail. If the trail goes dead then use a different technique. Grid the area north and south then east and west and find it. Sometimes you darn near step on the animal before you see it.

I will not say that giant holes blown in an animal is a bad thing, but it is not what I prefer. That is for each hunter to decide. None of the bullets are magic.

I am not throwing stones at anyone. I have had more than my share of things go wrong hunting. Mistakes happen. Bullets do fail. Strange things happen on impact sometimes. It is a great thing that we have many choices of bullet.

Animal lungs are not like human lungs. They do not collapse when a hole is poked in it. They still function on the undamaged part of the lung. The animal has to run out of blood before it dies. If only one lung is hit it could take quite a bit of time for a large animal to run out of blood. Remember the flesh is crushed not cut like a broad head from an arrow. Sometimes it takes longer for a bullet to kill than an arrow. It is just how it works.

Just remember that a man can run 100 yards in 10 seconds. How far do you think an elk can run in that time? DRT is not the norm, it is a bonus when it happens.

Thanks for your time guys,

Steve

I am not so sure I should weigh in here, but I am compelled to.

I am always a little shocked when I hear people complain that an animal went 100 yards after a good lung shot. Bullets are not lightning bolts that make things dead just because they touched them. It has always been my expectation to have to track a shot animal after the shot. Regardless of the bullet used. Make the shot, don't assume anything, wait for bit to make sure the animal is dead before heading out for recovery. Give it ten minutes or so. Every one thinks DRT is the standard for a bullet impact. This only happens if you hit the central nervous system. When you blow up the heart or lungs of an animal they have roughly 5 to 10 seconds to live. How far do you think a game animal can run in 5 seconds at full speed? I have found animals that other people shot with perfect lung shots. They didn't bother looking for the animal because it did not fall on the shot. There is no such thing as knock down power. This is a lie created by Hollywood. It is not possible to knock an animal or any other target off its feet with a bullet.

Some times bullet holes do not bleed much. Bullets crush the flesh that they impact. Smashed flesh does not bleed like cut flesh. A responsible hunter learns to track with out a giant blood trail. If the trail goes dead then use a different technique. Grid the area north and south then east and west and find it. Sometimes you darn near step on the animal before you see it.

I will not say that giant holes blown in an animal is a bad thing, but it is not what I prefer. That is for each hunter to decide. None of the bullets are magic.

I am not throwing stones at anyone. I have had more than my share of things go wrong hunting. Mistakes happen. Bullets do fail. Strange things happen on impact sometimes. It is a great thing that we have many choices of bullet.

Animal lungs are not like human lungs. They do not collapse when a hole is poked in it. They still function on the undamaged part of the lung. The animal has to run out of blood before it dies. If only one lung is hit it could take quite a bit of time for a large animal to run out of blood. Remember the flesh is crushed not cut like a broad head from an arrow. Sometimes it takes longer for a bullet to kill than an arrow. It is just how it works.

Just remember that a man can run 100 yards in 10 seconds. How far do you think an elk can run in that time? DRT is not the norm, it is a bonus when it happens.

Thanks for your time guys,

Steve

This is by far one of the best posts I have seen on any hunting forum regarding the realities of bullets and their relationship to killing game. You nailed it square on and summed up exactly my thoughts that I haven't been able to put into words.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.