Accubond LONGRANGE 6.5, 142gr performance

82gr retained out of a 6.5x300 is pretty darn good from a bullet that only started out at 142gr.
We were able to catch a 127lrx in a cow elk also out of a 6.5-300
250 yards shot head on through the brisket found the bullet in the rear ham when processing
Estimated impact velocity 3000 fps
Retained weight 124 gr.
If a close shot is possible and velocity is high I'd take a solid hammer or lrx.

No experience with ABLR but since you mentioned ELD-X i will give my 2 cents on those.

I have taken or seen moose taken from 25-200 yards with 178 Gr .308 ELDX all neck shots Dropped DRT no bullets recovered.

I have taken a mule deer at 460 yards with 220 GR ELDX .308, heart shot, took 1 step.

Moose at 664 with 220 GR ELDX, through the lungs, bullet recovered on far side hide perfect mushroom, never weighed retained weight, moose tooke one step and rolled.

2 mule does taken at 100 with 143ELDX 6.5 Creedmoor, DRT, one was through both shoulders one was through spine no bullets recovered and devastating wound channels.

I love the ELD-X
What cartridge were used with the .308" Eld-X's?

Two of my buddies used a 6.5x284 with 142 LRAB on elk this year. MV about 2,900 or so

This was quartering slightly toward at 360 yards. Broke front shoulder and got the heart and lungs. He lunged downhill about 20 yards and died. No exit and we didn't find the bullet.

45173308-5A7A-4F62-806F-54392397E1A6.jpeg

this one was shot at about 300 yards broadside. First shot shined him then two follow up shots.

425B3349-0EAB-470D-A6FB-463CDAB3129C.jpeg

Recovered the bullet in the offside hide. Don't have a picture though. Lungs looked like this

52051DDA-1D45-406F-8EBE-4C660E5EC641.jpeg

I'm currently using them in to cartridges. In my 6.5x55 I'm getting .3" groups at 100 when I do my part. I've taken 3 axis and 4 whitetail doe with this rifle, all through the shoulders and all were complete pass-through with every animal dropping in their tracks. The 2nd cartridge is the 264 Win. Running it a 3225 and shooting a sub-MOA group (around .7" on average) I've taken one bull at 137 yards and 3 whitetail and one axis. One of the whitetails was taken at just over 400 yards. Only captured one, the second finishing shot on the bull at 137. Entered through the last rib and was caught in the off-side shoulder under the hide. Bullet retained 59.8 gr. Guessing the impact around 3050-3100.

Kimber7,
Thanks for the info. Good stuff.
Speaking of good stuff Nimrod.. from everything I have heard the Hammers are good stuff but I am concerned about not getting enough expansion with them or any Monolithic bullet at longer ranges.
Also, acubonds and the such are already expensive enough, I would have a real hard time spending over twice as much for hammers.
After all dead is dead. I am just looking for a fairly high BC bullet that will hold together better than the ELDx's that I have been using. Thanks

Since the ABLRs came out we've taken 20 elk and a truckload of antelope and deer with them. 129, 142, 150, 190gr results have been the same from 50 yards to 630 yards, D.R.T. Last year my son shot an elk at over 400 yards 260rem 142gr passed through both front shoulders and found it under the skin on the offside, perfect mushroom she dropped in her tracks. His first elk a few years back was with the 129gr 617 yards one shot bull took two steps and went down. At close range, they do come apart if they hit bone but dead is dead. I shot a whitetail at 50 yards with the 142gr, entrance at base of neck, bullets went full length thru, found under skin in hindquarter. I've shot elk with Barnes, Partitions, Accubonds various Hornady, the ABLRs are all we shoot anymore.

Plinker, isn't that what ANY bullet is supposed to do....penetrate the heart/lung area and then either exit or be found under the skin?
Your bullet shed it's weight but the base remained intact....it's a lead core/bonded bullet, not an all copper bullet that retains 99% of it's weight.

This is from a Zebra...nearly all of the lead is gone

Yeah I'm not knocking them, just stating what they did. I like them and will continue to use them.

Actually I check my notes and the
previous picture the bullets were recovered from Barbary sheep.

This picture the bullet on the left is the 129 recovered from an elk that stop on off side. The bullet on the right is a BT out of a different elk

Attachments

• 35CB46E7-B29E-449E-B309-85AA105408FE.jpeg
    35CB46E7-B29E-449E-B309-85AA105408FE.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 182
Wish you wouldn't talk up the 142 ABLR. The more hunters that find out how well the work the harder they are to find. We play on steel with everything made but when we need to reliably take game that is what we normally use in 6.5 cal. Don't try them because they blow things up, Nosler inflated the BC, they are not accurate enough, they shed too much weight, the jacket it too thin... Sorry, some of that may be true but they simply take down game and shoot great in my rifles.

Wish you wouldn't talk up the 142 ABLR. The more hunters that find out how well the work the harder they are to find. We play on steel with everything made but when we need to reliably take game that is what we normally use in 6.5 cal. Don't try them because they blow things up, Nosler inflated the BC, they are not accurate enough, they shed too much weight, the jacket it too thin... Sorry, some of that may be true but they simply take down game and shoot great in my rifles.

Yes, the 175gr 7mm's too....Berger's are MUCH better;)

I load my .260 Rem very long with the 142 ABLR at 2770 fps in my 26" DT SRS A1. I was hunting a bean field expecting long shots when a nice doe walks out at 30 yards. Entrance was a pinprick with a trickle of blood and exit was 3/4" or so with both lungs badly damaged and the bottom inch of the heart gone (dang it).
IMG_0882.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts