Nosler Longrange Accubond

liljamt

Hi Guys,

Before you rip me apart for not doing a custom search in the top right corner, let me clarify what I'm looking for.

I have done more research on this bullet than most people, and keep seeing the same thing over and over. Over estimated BC, Decent accuracy, and retains decent weight on long range kills.

My main elk rifle, (Of course I can't just have one) is a 300 Win Mag. For the last couple years I have been shooting exclusively 200 Grain partitions out of my 300, and have been very satisfied with that bullets knock down power. However, since I have been shooting longer and longer ranges each year, I have now been playing with some different bullets. I used some 200 grain Berger Hybrids this year, and while very happy with accuracy, I hunt in spots in Northwest Montana that allow me to see elk anywhere from 50 yards to 1000 yards. I shot an elk at 100 yards in thick timber this year, and was not happy with the bullet. 2 shots, both right behind the shoulder, and neither reached the far shoulder. Seemed like they exploded on impact. While the bullets did a lot of damage internally, I am used to the Partitions busting shoulders and still retaining most of its weight.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with the Longrange Accubonds at close ranges. Everyone seems to have experience with them at long range, which is great, as long as they can also perform at close ranges. I am not naive enough to think that every shot I take on an elk is going to be 500+ yards. It seems every bullet I research either does great at shorter ranges but low BC value's that don't do well at long ranges, or great BC number that explodes on impact at high velocities. I am trying to find that bullet that gives me both good BC, and a thick enough jacket to hold together at shorter ranges. If only partitions were a boat tail...

Hope I clarified that enough. Any and all responses are welcome!

Carson

Last edited:
Nosler LRAB bullets are soft. They will leave big holes on deer. I've got a couple pics in the deer hunting forum showing my results with a 300 RUM using a 190 ABLR at 3200 FPS on two deer shot at 70 yds.

Nosler LRAB bullets are soft. They will leave big holes on deer. I've got a couple pics in the deer hunting forum showing my results with a 300 RUM using a 190 ABLR at 3200 FPS on two deer shot at 70 yds.

Do you have a link to that thread?

"Take a look at the 200 gr Accubond. With a .588 b.c and bonded core it makes for a very good "compromise" hunting bullet."

I have thought about trying that bullet, if this bullet doesn't work out that will be next on the list.

Jimbires- I have read through that post a couple times.

Thanks,

Carson

The 200 gr accubond is a great all around hunting bullet. It has worked great for me in the past from 60 to 600 yds. If you want to run the ablr load the 210 and go kill elk. i wouldn't be worried at all about close up shots with it from a win mag. I've killed 2 elk with Berger 210s running 3150 fps inside 80 yds and the ablr is a much tougher bullet.

The 200 gr accubond is a great all around hunting bullet. It has worked great for me in the past from 60 to 600 yds. If you want to run the ablr load the 210 and go kill elk. i wouldn't be worried at all about close up shots with it from a win mag. I've killed 2 elk with Berger 210s running 3150 fps inside 80 yds and the ablr is a much tougher bullet.

I haven't tried the Accubonds yet. I might get a box of those as well and do some experimenting. Did you have any experience with it past 600 yards?

I just am not impressed with Berger's close range. They are great out past 500 yards, but not every shot is going to be a long range shot. My brother used the 210 VLD's this hunting season, and shot a doe in the back of the head at 75 yards. Blew the whole top half of her head off.

Carson

Good info. The bullet's performance on your buck is what has me a little worried.

Maybe the 200 Grain Accubond would be a little better suited for what I need it for. Anyone have any experience on game with them at longer ranges?

Carson

There are some serious elk guys I know that won't touch a 200 accubond for elk but all swear by the 215 Berger, I have not been pleased with the Accubond vs Berger on elk, I've had to track down and kill two Accubond shoulder shot elk and dispatch them. The bullet is to hard and creates to large of a frontal area and then you don't have the mass to get that much surface area through the shoulder, if they open at all. If I were targeting an elk shoulder every shot I'd shoot a 230 Berger and preferably a 300 gr from a 338.

My brother used the 210 VLD's this hunting season, and shot a doe in the back of the head at 75 yards. Blew the whole top half of her head off.

Carson

Was the doe dead? Don't shoot a buck in the head. But other than that I'll take DRT any day.

I'd rather have too much expansion up close than not enough at long range. If you can't place the bullet where you want it up close then wait until you can. JMO

Was the doe dead? Don't shoot a buck in the head. But other than that I'll take DRT any day.

I'd rather have too much expansion up close than not enough at long range. If you can't place the bullet where you want it up close then wait until you can. JMO

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the details. He took 1 shot at 300 yards, through the shoulder, (I was there so I saw both shots) the doe went down, but still had it's head up looking around, so he shot it a second time with it facing away from him in the back of the head. Looked like the bullet blew up on impact, tearing the whole top of the head off, and some of the bottom jaw. I'm not one to shy away from blood, but it was a pretty gruesome sight.

I agree, more expansion is better than none, I am trying to find that perfect bullet that has a thin enough jacket to expand at low velocities, but doesn't explode at fast velocities.

BignGreen: What did the bullet do once contacting the shoulder? I am not necessarily targeting a shoulder every shot, I personally like to go for lungs, but it is always nice to know I can break a shoulder if need be. That's why I love the partitions so much.

Carson

Both were point of the shoulder shots and the shoulder was just crumbled bone not shattered so they basically had broken shoulders, nothing made it to the ribs, I've had several Barnes TSX do the same in 30 cal, under 100 yard hits.

I have heard similar reports on the Accubonds, but on smaller calibers. I would have thought a 200 grain Accubond would break through a shoulder. I think I'll just have to try the LRAB and see for myself.

Carson

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.