Accubond LONGRANGE 6.5, 142gr performance

Wish you wouldn't talk up the 142 ABLR. The more hunters that find out how well the work the harder they are to find. We play on steel with everything made but when we need to reliably take game that is what we normally use in 6.5 cal. Don't try them because they blow things up, Nosler inflated the BC, they are not accurate enough, they shed too much weight, the jacket it too thin... Sorry, some of that may be true but they simply take down game and shoot great in my rifles.

I smile when I read this because when these were first released there were talking heads on this site claiming they were inaccurate and didn't expand properly. Great bullets.

Shoot Hammer bullets and you won't regret it

I have been itching to try the Hammers for a few years now. I have done load work ups for others with these bullets but I have not seen many field reports. My main concern is they do shed petals but how effective is this? If a bullet is going to fragment then I want / expect it to fragment like a eld-m or a berger. I want lots of fragmentation or none unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Most of them I bet are from the Cult of Berger;)

That's funny. But quality control is quality control.
I just dumped about 25 or more of the 129's in the trash last week. The ones I had did have quality issues. There was as much as +/- 0.7 grains difference in weight and the length of the bearing surfaces between the bullets were not the same. I tried sorting them by weight first but they shot better when I shorted them by bearing surface length. I got tired of the difference in them and decided I had plenty of other bullets to burn out my barrel with. Also in some of the old threads, there was, I called Nosler and they said they had to be loaded a very special way. And when you asked no one ever posted what Nosler had recommended. I still have a box of 210s for my Rum that are setting in the closet. I bought these about a year later then the 129's. I hope they are a better. I also shot some loaded rounds in the RUM which shot ok. Some day I'll get around to loading some of them up. As for Berger's, I never had to sort or weigh the bullets just find a seating depth they liked and then I would load the rest of the box. I have shot a lot of 140 VLD's and they been consistent from box to box also. For as shooting these rounds I probably shot over 4000 of them. But I'm always up for testing themn again. Maybe the quality control of the 129's or 142's have gotten better.

That's funny. But quality control is quality control.
I just dumped about 25 or more of the 129's in the trash last week. The ones I had did have quality issues. There was as much as +/- 0.7 grains difference in weight and the length of the bearing surfaces between the bullets were not the same. I tried sorting them by weight first but they shot better when I shorted them by bearing surface length. I got tired of the difference in them and decided I had plenty of other bullets to burn out my barrel with. Also in some of the old threads, there was, I called Nosler and they said they had to be loaded a very special way. And when you asked no one ever posted what Nosler had recommended. I still have a box of 210s for my Rum that are setting in the closet. I bought these about a year later then the 129's. I hope they are a better. I also shot some loaded rounds in the RUM which shot ok. Some day I'll get around to loading some of them up. As for Berger's, I never had to sort or weigh the bullets just find a seating depth they liked and then I would load the rest of the box. I have shot a lot of 140 VLD's and they been consistent from box to box also. For as shooting these rounds I probably shot over 4000 of them. But I'm always up for testing themn again. Maybe the quality control of the 129's or 142's have gotten better.

How much difference in your groupings does that "+/-.07gr" make?
Have you shot them to see or are you sorting them anyway.

I am interested in hearing your findings, since I cant see how it would make THAT much difference in your group. I use 175gr ABLR's and I never even thought of sorting/weighing them, and I consistently get sub .4 MOA unless I do something different with my hold.

I did find a couple boxes of 142 ABLR the other day.
Have not had time to load any yet but I did check weight on about a dozen of them and they were very consistent so I stopped.
Did not think to check surface barring length.
I will have to do next time I get a chance to get back to the bench

Next time send my way I could use free bullets. To each there own for standards, But Mine vary that much but still hold 1/2 MOA at 600yards.

But I do agree Berger's are more consistent

Last edited:
700 yards from 142 ABLR this morning using a PRC. Very little meat loss with great shot placement. Still perfect for us. Good luck to all this season
3B592796-E97B-4E24-9ACC-2B33D0E62DD5.jpeg

How much difference in your groupings does that "+/-.07gr" make?
Have you shot them to see or are you sorting them anyway.

I am interested in hearing your findings, since I cant see how it would make THAT much difference in your group. I use 175gr ABLR's and I never even thought of sorting/weighing them, and I consistently get sub .4 MOA unless I do something different with my hold.
It would appear at 1 mile the difference would be~ 3" @ 3000 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.