Northeastern Guy - Thinking of booking my first guided hunt.

rking453

Hey folks, I'm seeking some advice on booking my first guided hunt. I'll give you a little background first. I live and hunt in northern NY, mostly for whitetail. I usually get 3 or 4 deer a year, and do all the processing myself. I hate to say it, but it's just not that exciting for me anymore. I enjoy it still, but it's starting to feel a bit like a chore. I would really like to get out there and try something new.

I'm looking for the chance to hunt any big game besides whitetail. I'm thinking elk, antelope, mule deer etc. I don't travel a lot, so it would be great to see a different part of the country. Ideally though, I want to find a hunt that I can drive to, 12 hours or less. Willing to drive a little more if need be. I'm not too interested in the complications of flying guns and meat home.

I believe I'm pretty competent at hunting my home woods, but I would like something at least semi-guided to help me figure out how to hunt a totally new area. I don't want to take the vacation time and time away from my family to sleep in my truck for a week and bumble around not knowing what I'm doing just to save a few bucks.

I would really appreciate any insights, advice, recommendations of outfitters or lodges you folks have for me.

12 hour drive won't get you out west. That leaves Canadian bear, moose or caribou. FWIW, you are missing serious opportunities with your 12 hour drive limitation. Mule, elk, moose and antelope hunting are a real treat (I hunt out west every year). I can't help help on the Canada front.

12 hour drive won't get you out west. That leaves Canadian bear, moose or caribou. FWIW, you are missing serious opportunities with your 12 hour drive limitation. Mule, elk, moose and antelope hunting are a real treat (I hunt out west every year). I can't help help on the Canada front.
How does it work flying the meat back home? I guess I'm not opposed to flying, I just assumed it would be a big hassle.

Flying isn't a big deal. You go 15 minutes early, present the firearm to TSA in a proper case and check the firearm. You'll go retrieve it at the oversized/lost luggage counter at your destination.

Now flying the meat will be a real pain and expensive due to luggage restrictions of most airlines.. ie their ridiculous extra bags and weight surcharges.

Personally, if you can get the meat frozen before you leave in a good cooler I think that opens you up to all continental 48 states. (Driving)

Got it, so let's say I'm willing to drive a good amount further than 12 hours, and bring meat home in a cooler or chest freezer running off a generator. Where do you folks suggest I go for a fun hunt?

If you can overlook the 12 hour drive, exotic hunts down here in Texas a quite a hoot and depending on your quarry can yield a very large amount of meat. There are a ton of game ranches down here that are running exotic hunts.

12 hours gets you into Illinois from central NY. My recommendations is to go to the north America outdoors show in Harrisburg PA in February. They have outfitters from around the world there and they have some deals also . The best thing to do is make 5 to 10 questions list you want answer to.

Got it, so let's say I'm willing to drive a good amount further than 12 hours, and bring meat home in a cooler or chest freezer running off a generator. Where do you folks suggest I go for a fun hunt?
What's your budget?

$2500 for an antelope (buck) hunt up to $10000 for a premium elk hunt (or more) if guided.

P.S. Think about buying points in Wyoming this month if you're ever putting that state into your calculations.

What's your budget?

$2500 for an antelope (buck) hunt up to $10000 for a premium elk hunt (or more) if guided.

P.S. Think about buying points in Wyoming this month if you're ever putting that state into your calculations.
That's a good question, I should have included that in my original post. $2500 would be great, but I'm willing to pay up to $5,000 or so. I may take the plunge into 5 figure hunts one day, just not yet, especially for my first paid hunt.