New guy. Intro and plan for my first rifle.

mtshtr

Hello,

Been shooting a lot, but always within 500 yards. Do pretty well there at those ranges with cheap scopes and guns. But I want to start trying further. I have an old semi auto hunting gun in 30-06 but it's not known for accuracy.
So I came up with this plan, take my very first rifle I bought when I turned 18 and rebarrel it to something more useful.

I never shoot it anymore, after many decades (90s).

Savage 110 in 223 but it's a long action.

So, I ordered a 7mm prc shilen prefit, small shank, 26" heavy palma contour for it. Also ordered new bolt head. Next going to look for a used orxy, relieve some of the action's maxwell so it will work with it and see how far I can take that gun for some casual long range plinking, maybe some prs matches here and there for fun, and some hunting (antelope and elk).

Thoughts or tips?

Anyway, hello and look forward to learning.

Welcome from Tennessee. Sounds like jumping in head first. It doesn't sound like you reload yet. That is okay, but you are going to need to start the search for ammo to feed your new stick soon. You will learn a lot by going the build route. Finding someone that can help you in this journey will make it less frustrating.

Hello,

Been shooting a lot, but always within 500 yards. Do pretty well there at those ranges with cheap scopes and guns. But I want to start trying further. I have an old semi auto hunting gun in 30-06 but it's not known for accuracy.
So I came up with this plan, take my very first rifle I bought when I turned 18 and rebarrel it to something more useful.

I never shoot it anymore, after many decades (90s).

Savage 110 in 223 but it's a long action.

So, I ordered a 7mm prc shilen prefit, small shank, 26" heavy palma contour for it. Also ordered new bolt head. Next going to look for a used orxy, relieve some of the action's maxwell so it will work with it and see how far I can take that gun for some casual long range plinking, maybe some prs matches here and there for fun, and some hunting (antelope and elk).

Thoughts or tips?

Anyway, hello and look forward to learning.
Greetings from the Great Falls side of the Big Sky Country. Welcome to LRH, and enjoy it. I built a .257 WBY off a Savage LA with Oryx; you might not need to do anything on the mag well; mine worked like a champ with no mod.

257-wbty-savage-110-la-3-of-3-jpg.289681

257-wbty-savage-110-la-scoped-5-of-7-jpg.304744

257-wbty-scoped-and-suppressed-jpg.353494

Good luck with your project.

So, I ordered a 7mm prc shilen prefit, small shank, 26" heavy palma contour for it. Also ordered new bolt head.
Not sure where you are at with your order, but I'm mentioning this just in case….I think Shilen will throat a barrel to a dummy round. If you will reload, it might be worth making some dummy rounds about 0.010" shorter than Mag length and seeing how their OAL compares to SAAMI. The 7mm PRC has a lot of head height by design, so this may not be an issue like it is for most rounds.

Next going to look for a used orxy,
That is a decent chassis. There are stock options too. I like Bell and Carlson stocks. MDT offers the XRS which is kind of a blended design.

relieve some of the action's maxwell so it will work with it
What do you mean here? I think I know, but I'm just asking to be sure.