my first paint job

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by foreign, Aug 10, 2009.

1. foreign

foreign Well-Known Member

well i just took a stevens .223 with a silencer and put it into a Choate tactical varmit stock that i had got for the purpose. bedded it and then decided to get creative with the finish. i did some sculpting of the pistol grip and sanded some of the mold marks out of it.
    color choice was dictated by what colors i found at home. i think it looks quite good.( but i would :D).....
    shame the barrel doesnt fit the wide open forend of the stock. o well once i get some swap barrels for the savage ill get something a little fatter.
    cheers for looking. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Looks great, what was your process for painting? How did you get the pattern?

Thanks,
    AJ

3. foreign

cheers mate. well i started by wrapping the stock in string, the sprayed it blue. the faint lines the string made werent really working for me so i was thinking of how to get a mottled effect and saw a role of toilet paper on the bench. so reeled of a section and rolled it into a loose roll. ripped that in half and then used the ripped edge as a dabbing tool with the black from a spray can sprayed into its own lid.
    i think it works.....i think a little red 'dabbed' on too could look cool. maybe before the black.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Great big +1 on the paint job.

Very creative and very nice lookin'.

5. flyin lizard

flyin lizard Well-Known Member

Very nice job, and you gave me an idea for string, make some loose knots of diff. sizes then wrap and spray/dab, that should create a very individualized pattern...:Dlightbulb

6. foreign

cheers chaps
    hey flyin lizard do it. u may want to use a thicker string than i did. i used a plumb line (that u use for building). the lines werent very apparent. i think a 3mm (1/8th ??) cord would be good. knots will make it very interesting. make sure to post some pics. im going to do the other two plastic stocks i have. problem is i have to decide on a color scheme now and fork out $ for them.