Nikon Prostaff 5 vs Buckmaster

USAF Marksman

I used to have one of the older, not original w/AO, Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope on a 270WSM. For a hunting scope I thought it suited my needs just fine. I loved the adjustment range, side focus, and the BDC worked well for me. I see a couple for sale here and there, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of the MILDOT versions. However, I have heard rumor that the new ProStaff 5 by Nikon was made to replace the Buckmaster line. I'm not trying to dial for any long range shooting here, just looking to top a plinking/varmint rifle in the future. I like the price range of either the used Buckmaster or the new PS5, but I was hoping someone had input on the comparison of these two scopes. I also liked how low profile/lightweight my old Buckmaster was and the all aluminum construction vs the new Nikon scopes.But I hear the glass on the new PS5 is pretty good. I'm deployed right now so I can't really get behind the PS5 for a while and I am just trying to do some research. Any input would be helpful.

Happy Easter

Tucker

Tucker, First, Thank you for your service!
Scope's have changed since the old Buckmaster day's. Nikon's PROSTAFF 5 has many of the feature's of the old Buckmaster but better glass and all glass surfaces are multi-coated to give you better clarity. Nikon currently has 2 scope's with the Mil-dot in the PROSTAFF 5 Series, a 4.5-18 and a 3.5-14, both with side parallax adjustment. Hopefully soon there will be more choices in Mil-dot and MOA.

Be safe!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.