Nightforce vs Huskemaw or something else in that price range??

I have several Vortex with a Viper sfp gen 2, 5-25x50 as my best scope. I have got along fine with all my vortex, but After reading all the poor reviews on Vortex, maybe I have just been lucky? I`m thinking about a little higher end scope for my next rifle? I want to stick to 24-25 as max power, any good options beside the 2 I mention?
My 2 cents

Just finished a long distance shooting course. First thing brought up when reviewing optics was "is anybody shooting with a Vortex". It was brought up as they have had many students show up with their rifles with Vortex scopes which have then failed during the course. They didn't have a dog in the fight and just mentioned that you get what you pay for. So it kind of sums it up for me.

shot both sent the huskmaw back twice glass not quite as good as nightforce.when the huskmaw came back it was sold. the level in the bottom of the huskmaw is the best thing.the nightforce has better clarity and more dependable. I am getting a Athlon to try they have some that look good.hard to beat a nightforce.

I usually keep quiet, so I'll only say a brief statement. A.. state SWAT sniper team evaluated 12+ scope brands, many of them are real shooters in side competition. Knowing this I sat down for breakfast and asked for advice. I want glass for my SSG build. Night Force unanimously in unison. So I bought and it is a fantastic tool. US optic was not tested but also very highly recommended. As was vortex, it was the second choice of the tested lot. I'd say read and decide on features wanted/needed. Try looking through as many as possible in bad lighting etc. This site has a absolute mountain of information and everyone here is passionate about shooting. That does at times come across not exactly as we all should like, But I believe everyone here is free of malice and really wants to help in any way possible! Read. Learn. Lots of fantastic answers here.
I will say I just put a Nikon on my recent 10/22 build and it is stunning how 550$ in a "cheap" scope looks great has clear glass. Boxed really well, and has a nice reticle.
Police snipers are very limited on range, they are not military and as such cannot be categorized as long range.

I disagree with the Leupold glass better than the Nightforce... and it's been my experience Leupold service after the sales is pitiful...
I've compared my mk5HD to a NF NXS and Leupold kills it.
Just my opinion but NF glass sucks bad for the money.. at least the NXS line.

I really like this but there are alot of variables you can nitpick any scope to pieces we have all got to admit there is a lemon in any bunch it's how the company deals with the lemon that counts, there are different scopes for different things what exactly do you want it to do , it sure isn't going to make you a .5 min of angle shooter at 1200 yes unless you practice there are alot of good scopes out there and different people like them for one reason or another and I respect there opinion, some of us have the resources to use a bunch of them and I'm lucky to be able to do that . Buy the best scope you can afford learn to use it and you will be happy, my go to hunting rifle is a 30/06 with a unertl fixed 6 x ok it's old but it works killed a lot of deer at 600 plus know your rifle know how it shoots and practice.

My 2 cents

Just finished a long distance shooting course. First thing brought up when reviewing optics was "is anybody shooting with a Vortex". It was brought up as they have had many students show up with their rifles with Vortex scopes which have then failed during the course. They didn't have a dog in the fight and just mentioned that you get what you pay for. So it kind of sums it up for me.
I completely agree that you get what you pay for; I replaced six $2500 ATACRs with six $2500 Razor AMGs, and got scopes that are functionally perfect and glass thats clear and bright down to the last second of shooting light. I don't think that was an accident or a fluke.
I was a big NF supporter too for years. While they're a fine scope, they're not better than my Razors. Sorry I'm not sorry if that bothers the NF crowd.
Truth be told, all the latest and greatest this-year gear will not out shoot a guy that's better versed with his last-year's gear.

Last edited:
I take reviews with a LARGE grain of salt. I also read a wide range before giving any real credence to them. Seen too many where is was sour grapes review rather a valid quality issue of deficiency issue.

Midway USA sealed the deal on my scope search, they had the Viper gen2 5-25x50 on sale this weekend so cheap I couldn't refuse it! Since I already have this scope on my STW & really like it, I figured no way to go wrong at this price!

I have both Huskemaw and Vortex Viper 5-20 X 50. Huskemaw is foggy compared to Vortex. Customer service at Huskemaw is pretty much non existent: they don't answer the phone or emails..

I have several Vortex with a Viper sfp gen 2, 5-25x50 as my best scope. I have got along fine with all my vortex, but After reading all the poor reviews on Vortex, maybe I have just been lucky? I`m thinking about a little higher end scope for my next rifle? I want to stick to 24-25 as max power, any good options beside the 2 I mention?
I have 4 Vortex scopes. I have had to send 3 of the 4 back for repairs. They primarily have had trouble holding a consistent zero. Have a nightforce atacr 7-35. Awesome with no issues.

Police snipers are very limited on range, they are not military and as such cannot be categorized as long range.
True the longest recorded action was 97 yards. But as I said many of the guys on the team are real shooters. And they compete in military competition to hold their skill and engage targets out to 1600 yards. Last week we were at 1100 yard range. So while your point is valid for true action. It is completely incorrect for how they train.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.