Huskemaw Blue Diamond vs Nightforce SHV

Cinchy

Thinking about a scope upgrade & looking at the Huskemaw 5-20x50 , Nightforce SHV 5-20X56? Any opinions, experience with both, suggestions?

I bought a 4-14 NF knowing if I don't like it I will get just about every penny back when if sell it. No Huskamaw experience

I have a 4-14X56 IHR reticle on a shorter range rifle and think I am going to like it just fine. I am torn between the 4-14X56 and the 5-20X56 MOAR for a longer range hunter. I have enjoyed the NSX series so I don't think there will be an issue with these.

Huskemaw is a better scope for hunting, imo.

You won't find much internet love for the Huskemaw...mainly from guys with zero experience with them though. They just don't like/are jealous of the BOTW crew.

I have one of the very first Huskemaw models. I have put that scope through hell and back. I would hate to guess how many miles it has traveled in a scabbard on horseback or attached to my back pack. The scope has never ever had any glitches and is totally reliable. Built in wind correction and zero stop - simple, quick and easy.

The only SHV that I have used did not have a zero stop. If that is still true on the newer models I will never ever own one for hunting. It is not a matter of if you will get a rotation off it is just a matter of when.

from what I understand there is 8 MOA of hold in the reticle for windage and 0 for elevation. The turret instead MOA just has yardage that is about 20MOA...no math involved they say. I do have one of the current figit spinners but the first one I got was a dial turret. It is hard for me to imagine it being simpler.

Agreed Jester. I find the NF MOA to be very simple to use for both windage and elevation. I don't care for the hashmarks on the Huskemaw reticle.

I have been using a couple of Huskemaw scopes for several years. They have been subjected to heavy use in harsh hunting conditions and have taken dozens of deer, antelope, and varmints to 1200 yards. The glass, turret reproducibility, and reliability is as good to my Nightforce NXS scopes which use the same glass source, with, IMO, a few advantages.
-it is smaller in size and lighter in weight.
-the side parallax/focus is a faster ratio design(similar to to new ATAC-R F1) that is focused and parallax free at the same setting. It also has yardage markings that are surprisingly accurate for fast work and pre-setting for close range shooting.

While it has been marketed for use with yardage turrets, Huskemaw has an MOA turret if desired. I like to use a "Custom Turret Tape" that has both an MOA scale at the bottom, and an upper yardage scale that is exactly on to 600 yards under a wide range of elevations and temperatures ....for fast work....similar to my NF NXS G7 turret. I have done tall tests on both my Huskemaw scopes and results are identical to my NF scopes out to a 1200 yard elevation with my 6.5x284's. Some object to the .33MOA click/scale of the Huskemaw, but much like MIL based scopes(.35MOA clicks), few., if any could ever observe the difference in precision/accuracy in a shooting/hunting environment. The advantage of higher speed turret revolutions(20 MOA) is a far greater advantage for me.

I agree that this scope has gotten unwarranted bad press on the Internet, almost always from the "Butterfies"" that have never used it. IMO, is a very competitive scope in its price class...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.