Huskemaw Blue Diamond vs Nightforce SHV

Once I took a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 to the store after calling and asking permission to take a Huskemaw outside for a comparison. I put an optics chart on a power pole about 300 yards away from the store. Both the store clerk and I could tell no difference in the quality of the glass.

I have both the huskemaw and a couple of the night force shv. Mine are the lower power settings. The 4x14-56 shv has decent glass tracks well, eye relief is a little short and it weight is a little on the heavier side. The shv 3x10-42 and the huskemaw 3x12 are probability a couple of my favorite hunting scopes. Glass is pretty good in both and they both track well and are considerably lighter. I dial for all my shots if called for. So have no opinion on which reticle might be better.

I have a 5-20x56 SHV and a Huskemaw and the Huskemaw 5-20x50 as well as two Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS G7's and I just purchased a Leupold VX 5HD 3-15x44 for an even more compact and lighter option.
I have used both the SHV and Huskemaw for hunting deer, mule deer, antelope, coyotes, prairie dogs and a lot of steel. I prefer to use Talley lightweight rings and both scopes allow me to dial to 1200 yards without having to change rings to use a canted base. I haven't subjected them to the kind of abuse a scope would see on a mountain rifle being carried for days at a time but I don't baby them. Neither one of them are treated with kid gloves and put up with the abuse I put them through.

Here are my personal +/- of each.

SHV
+ exposed elevation turret and capped windage turret.
+ zero stop that works, just not perfectly.
+ MOAR reticle for long range practice.
- 56 mm objective forced me to use high rings and a Karsten cheek riser.
- size and weight.
- 10 minutes per revolution.
- softer detents/clicks for elevation adjustments.

Huskemaw
+ size and weight .
+ wind hold reticle for hunting.
+ 50 mm objective lets me use medium rings on any of my rifles regardless of barrel taper.
+ being able to use MOA Turret or BDC Turret.
+ zero stop that works just not perfectly.
+ 20 minutes per revolution.
+/- .33 minutes per click. Doesn't make any real world difference outside of benchrest shooting.
- capped elevation turret, I've lost the turret cap twice so far.

Sorry for the hijack but I was wondering, Do any of you guys that have the huskemaw have or tried the Leupold VX6? I have three huskemaws, 4-16,5-20 and the 5-30. I am looking to get rid of the 5-30 just because of the weight 35oz and am looking at the 3-18 vari x 6 cause it is 19oz. But... I am thinking maybe another 5-20 would be better. The 5-20 is a little cheaper and I think its 22 or 23 oz. I am looking to put it on a fierce 300 RUM for hunting, I get alot of long range chances here in Northeast British Columbia. Not sure what to do?

While it has been marketed for use with yardage turrets, Huskemaw has an MOA turret if desired. I like to use a "Custom Turret Tape" that has both an MOA scale at the bottom, and an upper yardage scale that is exactly on to 600 yards under a wide range of elevations and temperatures ....for fast work....similar to my NF NXS G7 turret. I have done tall tests on both my Huskemaw scopes and results are identical to my NF scopes out to a 1200 yard elevation with my 6.5x284's. Some object to the .33MOA click/scale of the Huskemaw, but much like MIL based scopes(.35MOA clicks), few., if any could ever observe the difference in precision/accuracy in a shooting/hunting environment. The advantage of higher speed turret revolutions(20 MOA) is a far greater advantage for me.

Interesting!
is the .33MOA a cm adjustment that I have seen say on Meopta?
The IHR I have is 10MOA per revolution and the NSX is 20, I haven't looked at the SHV MOAR

I have a 5-20x56 SHV and a Huskemaw and the Huskemaw 5-20x50 as well as two Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS G7's and I just purchased a Leupold VX 5HD 3-15x44 for an even more compact and lighter option.
I have used both the SHV and Huskemaw for hunting deer, mule deer, antelope, coyotes, prairie dogs and a lot of steel. I prefer to use Talley lightweight rings and both scopes allow me to dial to 1200 yards without having to change rings to use a canted base. I haven't subjected them to the kind of abuse a scope would see on a mountain rifle being carried for days at a time but I don't baby them. Neither one of them are treated with kid gloves and put up with the abuse I put them through.

Here are my personal +/- of each.

SHV
+ exposed elevation turret and capped windage turret.
+ zero stop that works, just not perfectly.
+ MOAR reticle for long range practice.
- 56 mm objective forced me to use high rings and a Karsten cheek riser.
- size and weight.
- 10 minutes per revolution.
- softer detents/clicks for elevation adjustments.

Huskemaw
+ size and weight .
+ wind hold reticle for hunting.
+ 50 mm objective lets me use medium rings on any of my rifles regardless of barrel taper.
+ being able to use MOA Turret or BDC Turret.
+ zero stop that works just not perfectly.
+ 20 minutes per revolution.
+/- .33 minutes per click. Doesn't make any real world difference outside of benchrest shooting.
- capped elevation turret, I've lost the turret cap twice so far.
Looks like Huskemaw has more + marks? LOL I thought the elevation on them was open, & not capped??

The .33 MOA is 1/3 inch, they do that so they can get more elevation for the same amount of clicks. In the hunting world it's my opinion that it is accurate enough.
And the Huskemaw does have caps, I leave mine off on the elevation. would be nice to have a quick cover of some type

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.