nightforce clarity

Refresh my memory, which ballistics program is it that gives drops in .273" increments?

Give up before you fall even further and harder jwp. My Patagonia LoadBase 2.0 Desktop and Mobile ballistic software allows ANY click value to be programmed. If your's doesn't, you need to upgrade your ballistic software ALSO. Tee Hee...

You can thank me any time now...

Thanks for the actaual info and up yours for the smart *** comments..

Since my scopes adjust in true MOA or True Mills I will not need to change from Exball

Last edited:
On the first count, you're welcome.

On the second count, you asked for it, over and over again.

And did you catch what CHARLIEDUECE65 posted? Better than NF!

You can ignore it, or take advantage of it.

On the first count, you're welcome.

On the second count, you asked for it, over and over again.

And did you catch what CHARLIEDUECE65 posted? Better than NF!

You can ignore it, or take advantage of it.

I have better scopes, so I am set.. Or maybe your S111 is better than S&B as well.

Of course you made your decision with out a side by side comparison a bit suspect IMHO. Of course you missed the posts about different top glass isn't top for every set of eyes.

No I didn't miss his post and he readily admits that he has not done a side by side test either. Hard to make absolute statements when comparing on different days and conditions. I really don't care if the glass is better or not, what I have a problem with is yours claims and justify them by others post without ever making a side by side comparison. Your negative bias is showing big time

Last edited:
Be done with it then. I'm good with my selection. Your choice is good with you, right or wrong.

I don't care what your problem is with me or my post. Remember? Or did you forget..., your opinion doesn't count - not to me. Keep it to yourself and you'll be further off for it.

Geez guys, give it a rest. The original poster quit 8 pages ago and probably gave up and never came back because of a major hijack. You're not even arguing the point and comparison of the OP's original question.

This is LRH not J & P's debating class.

Go out and shoot something or maybe even buy a new scope.:rolleyes:

Some pleasure reading for those with the time and interest:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupold-sightron-39643/ Ernie may be posting the results of his field comparison of scopes soon. A Nightforce is included.

The Optics Talk Forums - SHOT Show 2009 impressions - Page 1

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/90-performance-half-price-39032/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2000-scope-witch-one-38951/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/2009-shot-show-report-part-1-a-38316/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/2009-shot-show-report-conclusion-38317/

The topic is "optical clarity". For a cost of ~$800, I believe the Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm will equal the optical clarity in the $1400 and higher-cost comparable model Nightforce glass. This is the clearest example I have to share at this time.

Anybody that's compared these two side-by-side? I'm interested in hearing other's opinions. I'd like to see you (jwp475) locate someone with an SIII, do a side-by-side field comparison, and share your opinion/conclusion. If I owned a Nightforce, I'd do the comparison myself, but I don't, so I can't.

In my readings, the majority have stated that IOR glass is the equal, or better, than Nightforce (optical clarity). My 6-24X50mm SIII is the equal of my 3-18x42mm IOR in "optical clarity", and better in light transmission. (Light transmission comparison is a bit unfair in that the IOR has additional lenses to achieve the 6X power range.)

I expect more Nightforce owner's to join the fray.

The 6-24x50 Sightron.
video044.jpg

In the field.
2008pig178.jpg

On the rifle range.
2008pig050.jpg

Any questions?
For about half the money of a loopie you get a decent rifle optic thats got excellant tracking and repeatability.Without the erector issues loopie is famous for.
Optically I'd say it runs neck and neck with my 6-20x50 loopie LRT.
My only criticism of the Sightron is it has a very short depth of focus.On hot day while out chuck hunting sometimes its hard to tell the boil from focus.
For what I paid for it.I like it alot.
It does not measure up to my S&Bs in anyway.
dave

OK, let's see if I can get this straight.....

...... If I owned a Nightforce, I'd do the comparison myself, but I don't, so I can't.

OK, so you haven't done any real comparison to a NF, right ?

....... I've looked through Nightforce but I've not had the opportunity to set a Nightforce up and compare in the field side by side with an SIII or IOR at the same time. That's why I said I'd like you (or someone who has access to these scopes) to compare them and get another opinion expressed. I've looked through a lot of different scopes but I'm not confident in my conclusions without being able to look through them side by side in the same outdoor conditions.

OK, you're not confident in your conclusion between a SIII and NF because you haven't been able to look through them side by side in the same outdoor conditions, right ?

.........My opinion is based on a collective weight-of-the-evidence approach. I shared some of that evidence above..........

OK, so then your "not confident" opinion is not based on first hand experience, right ?

I can't help it that Sightron's SIII scope is just as clear - optically - as your NF.
Time to reverse the question which you previously posed to me... "Have you personaly compared them?"
You're awfully defensive of your NFs, and getting pretty offensive toward me. All that spent energy without having even looked through a Sightron, or at least not having admitted to it in this thread.

So then how could you know that the SIII is as clear - optically - than the NF ?

You then asked "Have you personaly compared them?" Who are you asking here?

So let me summarize the pages and pages of yada yada that you have surmised on this thread:

1. You have never done any real comparison to a NF
2. You're not confident in your conclusion between a SIII and NF
3. Your "not confident" opinion is not based any first hand experience
4. Your conclusion is that the Sightron's SIII scope is just as clear - optically - as your NF.

Wow ! but, ummm.....uhh........ never mind....

Meichele,

I'm just a little surprised in settling for some loss of clarity with your rifle scopes.

Dont put words in my mouth. My goodness what did we ever do with iron sights? I dont think of it as settling. The glass in the NXS is great glass. Just because it is some percentage less than the finest doesnt make it bad. What I need is a more durable AND functional scope for my style of shooting and hunting. I dont want a swaro scope just because it has a slight optical advantage IF any at all. My eyes can barely discern ANY difference between my rifle scope and my EL binos albiet the resolution with the binos is phenominal to say the least it is not neccessary in a rifle scope SO LONG as the clarity and resolution is adequete. I have found the NXS glass to be MORE than adequete AND better than average. I am sure a machine can dicsern the difference between my NXS and some other scopes but my eyes arent going to. Even swaro doesnt offer a rifle scope up to par with their best binos. After all, I have no desire to use my rifle scope as a spotting scope.

Dont put words in my mouth.

After all, I have no desire to use my rifle scope as a spotting scope.

Roger that... the final word is your NF is good enough.

Here's where we part company. Although I also have no desire to use my rifle scope as a spotting scope when my spotting scope is laying next to me, I have every intent of using my rifle scope as the best available substitute for my spotting scope when the spotter is 1/2 or more miles in the opposite direction from the rams I'm in pursuit of. I don't carry 18 to 24x binoculars. My rifle scope becomes the next best alternative to a spotter. I've used my rifle scope to count growth rings on sheep horns in the past, and I expect to do so again in the future.

At least three times over 25 or more seasons hunting sheep, I've faced "continue without the spotting scope or abort the stalk/hunt for lack of spotting scope" situations for reasons that couldn't be foreseen.

We may part company here too. I never use iron sights for LRH. :)

OK, let's see if I can get this straight.....
Somehow I doubt it.

The logic of deduction was clearly explained. Perhaps that's why others didn't jump in and beat you to your punch line.
Step 1: IOR resolution is greater than or equal to NF resolution.
Step 2: SIII resolution is equal to IOR resolution.
Step 3: Now, substitute SIII for IOR in step one. Trust me, this is a completely legal and proper deduction. I now type SIII in the place of IOR in the 1st step. Here goes...
Deduction: SIII resolution is greater than or equal to NF resolution.

Now before you catch me with my pants down on Step 1, go back and read the post where I explained that if don't accept the premise of Step 1, that you shouldn't be able to reach this same deduction.

OK, let's see if you can get ss7mm's last post straight... Maybe start another thread?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.