Adjusting for clarity

woodnut

In the past, I've always thought the ocular bell's adjustments were for making the cross hairs clear and sharply focused. A friend of mine and I were at his range recently and he says it also will sharpen the focus on the target. I know the objective /side focus is for parallex and also does target focus as a side effect.
I don't remember the scope brand. Does anyone know why this is true on some scopes? It did sharpen the target on that scope while it kept the reticule sharp. Was this a fluke or what?

i have noticed this to a small extent on both my (no parallax adjustment on the scopes) zeiss duralyt and leupold vx3 scopes. within the clear focus of the reticle, which is maybe a 1/4 turn or less, there is a slight bluring of the target image downrange from the beginning to end of that 1/4 turn.
For my eyes which are older and require reading glasses, the down range image was clearest with a blurred reticle.

i was wondering if a better scope optically, like a zeiss victory doavari, would be the same of different. never got up the $ to find out.

Im also thinking that if my vision was as good as it was 20 years ago then the results may be different.

I had pulled a scoped rifle out of the safe recently after 20 years had passed since setting it up. immediately saw that the reticle was horribly out of focus. it took a turn or 2 of the eyepiece to clear it up. im guessing a change in vision as time passes was the cause. back then i didnt need reading glasses, now i do.

woodnut;798026 (snip) Does anyone know why this is true on some scopes? It did sharpen the target on that scope while it kept the reticule sharp. Was this a fluke or what?[/QUOTE said:
There are some scopes where the objective focus adjustment is located at the back fo the scope at the position where many variable power scopes have their power adjustment ring. An example is this Bausch & Lomb 4000 series 10X40 mil-dot which had military contracts for a few years in the 1980s. You can see the yardage makings on that ring from 50 to 200 plus infinity. Next toward the rear is a locking ring for the eyepiece focus and the rest of the eyepiece bell is rotated to change the eyepiece focus. It was a an excellent scope at the time but replaced by the Leupold Mk 4 series which is arguably better.

The rifle is a 24" 6mmPPC with a Sun Devil billet receiver set & Jewell trigger. Just a fun plinker

Attachments

• DSC00442.jpg
    DSC00442.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 55
"Just a fun plinker"? Looks more like a serious prairie dog rig to me ! I have never seen nor heard of the scope you showed us. That's quite a nice piece of history you got there. Bet it functions well,too,huh? Thanks for the input and I really like your rig! Is that a Cerakote finish? What color?

"Just a fun plinker"? Looks more like a serious prairie dog rig to me ! I have never seen nor heard of the scope you showed us. That's quite a nice piece of history you got there. Bet it functions well,too,huh? Thanks for the input and I really like your rig! Is that a Cerakote finish? What color?

It could be a good prairie dog or coyote gun but I don't have any critters in my area I want to kill. I don't expect to shoot it in competitioin either, so it's a plinker.
Sun Devel offers anodized AR-15 receivers not only in black but in several bright colors including gold. see SunDevil Manufacturing - Custom AR-15 lower receivers, AR-15 parts and accessories

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.