Adjusting for clarity

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by woodnut, Apr 23, 2013.

1. woodnut

woodnut Well-Known Member

In the past, I've always thought the ocular bell's adjustments were for making the cross hairs clear and sharply focused. A friend of mine and I were at his range recently and he says it also will sharpen the focus on the target. I know the objective /side focus is for parallex and also does target focus as a side effect.
    I don't remember the scope brand. Does anyone know why this is true on some scopes? It did sharpen the target on that scope while it kept the reticule sharp. Was this a fluke or what?

2. jreagle

jreagle Member

i have noticed this to a small extent on both my (no parallax adjustment on the scopes) zeiss duralyt and leupold vx3 scopes. within the clear focus of the reticle, which is maybe a 1/4 turn or less, there is a slight bluring of the target image downrange from the beginning to end of that 1/4 turn.
    For my eyes which are older and require reading glasses, the down range image was clearest with a blurred reticle.

i was wondering if a better scope optically, like a zeiss victory doavari, would be the same of different. never got up the $ to find out.

Im also thinking that if my vision was as good as it was 20 years ago then the results may be different.

I had pulled a scoped rifle out of the safe recently after 20 years had passed since setting it up. immediately saw that the reticle was horribly out of focus. it took a turn or 2 of the eyepiece to clear it up. im guessing a change in vision as time passes was the cause. back then i didnt need reading glasses, now i do.

3. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

4. woodnut

woodnut Well-Known Member

"Just a fun plinker"? Looks more like a serious prairie dog rig to me ! I have never seen nor heard of the scope you showed us. That's quite a nice piece of history you got there. Bet it functions well,too,huh? Thanks for the input and I really like your rig! Is that a Cerakote finish? What color?

5. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

It could be a good prairie dog or coyote gun but I don't have any critters in my area I want to kill. I don't expect to shoot it in competitioin either, so it's a plinker.
    Sun Devel offers anodized AR-15 receivers not only in black but in several bright colors including gold. see SunDevil Manufacturing - Custom AR-15 lower receivers, AR-15 parts and accessories