NF rectile choice ??

257crow

I have never owned a NF, nor for that matter have I even seen one in person. The closest dealer to the Dallas Fort Worth area is 78 miles away. I have always used Leopold's for my guns.

After reading several posts here on this site, doing some searches, and talking to my gun smith I have decided to buy a NF scope. I'm looking at the 5.5 x 22 x 50, with the zero stop.

The issue I have is that I'm not sure which reticle I should get, I was looking at the following, NP-R1, NP-R2, and the MLR. I have used the MOA method on my other scopes. The scope will be mounted on a 300 Jarrett, with a switch barrel 257 short throat Weatherby. Until I can scrape up enough money to have a new gun built. I have done some long range hunting on Mule Deer, and some Whitetail, as well as Coyotes. I have not done any shooting past 715 yards.

So my question to the folks here that have experience with NF and their rectile choices is which one should I use?

Thanks
SC

I have the NP-R1 and find it very usefull for shot corrections, but I do not use the MOA marks for hold over at all, And that it why i bought the NP-R1. I learned to turn the knobs for dialing elevation and just preferr using the center cross hair.

The only way i would go with the MLR is if i used mil and like it. That is a personl prefrence.

I think the NP-R2 would be too much spacing for vertical if you plan on using it for holdover.

Just my thoughts,

Willys46

I went with the NP-1RR. There are those who think it's too busy but it ranges deer for me accurately and their exbal program put me on paper my first time at 500 yards.

my .02

You will not regret the purchase.

There is a Nightforce NXS 8x32x56 with MLR reticle for sale on 6mmBR.com web site. It looks like a pretty good deal, I think it's for sale for $1550.00.

The NPR1 is the most popular reticle we sale but I prefer myself the MLR w/ the MIL RAD 0-Stop turret. The MLR lines are little thicker and easy to see in low light environments and it is not as busy as the NPR1. For an MOA reticle I like the NPR1. As for the NPR2 I'm not a fan of because of the wind lines 5moa apart that is just too much it makes it hard to breakdown into 1moa increments.

The NF glass is some of the best on the market, the turret systems are very positive, and they are very strong scopes.

Mike @ CSGW

I agree with most of these guys.

NP-R1

It is a bit "busy" but the next best option for me is NPR2 and with windage marks at 5MOA that is just too much. I just about never have to move that much form windage so the marks are kinda useless for me. I do like the fact that there are fewer lines.

I can't have it all. Hell I cant even decide what I like.:rolleyes:

I just bought a "hunting" scope for the 308 deer rifle...the 2.5-10x32 with Np-1

I must say I love the reticle and dont know why others havent followed suit with similar reticles that dont have posts extending all the way to the edges

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.