How to use a Nightforce MOAR Rectile?

17Fireball

Please have patience and mercy on an inexperienced second focal plane shooter. I am getting into long range shooting. Understand most basics but the whole second focal plane thing has me confused when I hear it only works on one particular power.

With the new Atacr scope, based on my velocity and bullet ballistic coeffient I can run a chart to give me the drop and allow me to figure out how many clicks of moa to be on target at the ranges.

I'm confused about second focal plane? Does this mean my chart will only work when the scope is on 22 power? What if I want to dial up a shot on 8 power?

If you are dialing you can use any power you wish.

With the MOAR in a SFP, if you do not wish to dial, and would rather just hold over using the reticle, or, wish to dial the elevation, and hold over for the wind, the reticle lines are 1 moa apart when you are on 22X. They are 2 moa apart when on 11X.

Pretty simple really, if you choose to dial for both elevation and windage, makes not difference at all what power you are on. Just use a center reticle hold and go.

Jeff

I sincerely appreciate your answer. Folks have been so helpful to me on this site. I post some questions on accurate shooter and somebody always has to be a jerk.

If I shoot at either 11 or 22, does each line below the center crosshair equate to a set yardage?

I am thinking using a rangefinder then turning the dials is the most accurate method?

If I shoot at either 11 or 22, does each line below the center crosshair equate to a set yardage?

I am thinking using a rangefinder then turning the dials is the most accurate method?

1: No , not unless you use your ballistic app to see where your rifle would shoot at in moa first. Lets say the ballistic app says 4 moa for a 400 yard shot. On 22X you would go down and use the 4th line below center. ON 11X you would only go down 2 lines to get 4 moa as the lines are 2 moa ea. on 11X

2: Yes, using a laser RF and turning dials in my preferred method. That way if you need 5 .5 moa you are not holding between lines.

Jeff

What about the ATACR 5-25x scope with the MOAR. Im assuming its still 1 MOA but at 25x instead of 22?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.