• 221 fireball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41 mag

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 103481

Howdy all,

I want to build another hunting rifle. Just a general all around short range to long range carry it across NA hunting rifle. Not an eastern deer rifle, not a canyon rifle, just a lifelong hunting rifle.

I've got most of the components coming together in my head but before I send out my card info I need to pick a cartridge.

Front runners for me are currently
30-06
7RM
300 win mag

Brass availability, loaded ammo availability, bullet choice, recoil, all that crap goes into the choice.

I'm currently leaning toward 30-06 because it's just everywhere, has Lapua brass support, and with a 215 berger has some incredible ballistics. I've always been interested in 7 mags and own a couple but... meh kind a 30 cal guy.

All right, spend my money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neck a 300WinMag out to .338? Surely someone has done it. Or just go to the standardized .338WinMag straight away? I saw a photograph of a businessman who lives around the Reno area; he dropped a very large Ursus Arctos Horribilis with a .338 magnum-type rifle. I think the bullet was one of 215 grains; was almost completely flattened upon impact and expansion. The bear was in no pain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Winchester_Magnum

Last edited:
I am not totally against a 338-win mag, but I have a .30 cal suppressor so it nudges me to stay 7mm or 30 cal. Thanks for the input

I am not totally against a 338-win mag, but I have a .30-cal suppressor so it nudges me to stay 7mm or 30-cal. Thanks for the input.
Purchase a new set of baffles to fit .338? You've already licensed the suppressor. How much can a new set of baffles cost? If I had a suppressor and wanted a bigger bore, I'd look into it...

Purchase a new set of baffles to fit .338? You've already licensed the suppressor. How much can a new set of baffles cost? If I had a suppressor and wanted a bigger bore, I'd look into it...
Registered at .30 cal, bore diameter is part of the licensing...lots of effort to modify already approved paperwork for a larger bore diameter. Not against getting another can though...

300 win , 215 bergers would be my choice!
Sounds like a great build coming !

Rum Man

Just built one of these... it's for sure a combo that works. I like KISS

Registered at .30-cal, bore diameter is part of the licensing...lots of effort to modify already approved paperwork for a larger bore diameter. Not against getting another can though...
I never thought of that. I figgered just the tube was registered, and the internals could be anything you wanted. My brother has an SBR Thompson (I paid for it; about $2600); it's just registered under the factory serial number and its barrel length. I never figgered the ATF would register a suppressor by the size of the hole in the end...

big-boys-toy -300.JPG

Why not get the .338, then just get a whompin' big muzzle brake, like we see on 50BMG rifles? Would save time and money over a new suppressor. Ones that just clamp to the end of the barrel are available; no permanent mods to your rifle...

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brake.html

Last edited:
I like the 06, but if you want to use the 215 Berger a bigger case would be better. I try to stay away from belted cases so I'd lean towards a WSM or PRC. I do get the allure of the WM case as it is far more established.

There is always a 300 Rum and 230 Bergers ! But I'm partial to the Rum's !!
You could jump up to the 338 Edge I have one with a Proof 30" tube . I'm running the 300 gr Berger Elite hunters at 2884 fps. It sure did a number on my Spring Bear ! I'm loaded up with tags this year ..more testing to follow!!
As far as factory ammo maybe the 338 Rum!
Mine shoot amazing !

Rum Man

There is always a 300 Rum and 230 Bergers ! But I'm partial to the Rum's !!
You could jump up to the 338 Edge I have one with a Proof 30" tube . I'm running the 300 gr Berger Elite hunters at 2884 fps. It sure did a number on my Spring Bear ! I'm loaded up with tags this year ..more testing to follow!!
As far as factory ammo maybe the 338 Rum!
Mine shoot amazing !

Rum Man

That is a healthy load no doubt and I've wanted an edge for some time. I don't think it fits this build though, while I'm not very recoil sensitive I think I would want that cartridge on a heavier rig than I am planning for this rifle. Those 300 Berger's sure seem effective though

Haha so we've got comments for 338 win mag and 300 rum... yet the 7 mag leads the poll.

Interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.