Next Build 22 Cal.

I just bought two barrels myself. I'm doing one in a 22 Creedmoor and one in a 22GT. I'd be interested in your results and load development.

Last edited:
Monolithics are going to be a must in a 1/6.5 twist. I'm running a 1/7 on my 22CM and it is way too easy to exceed 320,000 RPM even with heavy bullets. I have some Cutting Edge 79gr MTACs loaded up in a ladder to test next time I'm out. They should handle the RPMs with far more grace than the cup and core bullets have.

Word of caution I'm shooting 90gr Bergers out of a 7 twist and the other day they started blowing up, (about 500 rounds on the barrel)
I cleaned the barrel to bare steel. I need to take it out again and see if that cured the problem.
Hammers won't have that issue. I shot the frangible 17cal, 18gr Dead Blow Hammer bullet out to 5060 FPS.
Wouldn't even consider project if projectile couldn't handle the velocity.

What would/could be the maximum rpm on a cup core bullets then? I guess some might vary between hunting and target bullets?

We have a good friend that built a TIGHT chamber 22BR 1:7 shooting 85.5 Berger Hybrids and it is a one hole rifle. He shoots PRS and only loads to 3,100fps. Accuracy and still fairly flat. He is always in the top shooter at matches.
I am sure using a 22BR with heavies would still be good for hunting. He shot the CM , but liked the BR better.
Word of caution I'm shooting 90gr Bergers out of a 7 twist and the other day they started blowing up, (about 500 rounds on the barrel)
I cleaned the barrel to bare steel. I need to take it out again and see if that cured the problem.
What FPS?

Recent Posts