What Cartridge Next?

scoutm

I don't really know what to do next. With hunting season coming to and end soon I need something to keep me entertained.

I have more than my fair share of rifles (some I've bought, some are hand me downs and one I've built) ranging from .22LR to 300wby. What's missing from my stable are a 7mm and anything bigger than .30 cal. Why a 7mm has been left out I do not know. Bigger than a 30 cal has been left out as I really don't have a need for anything bigger and although I'm not really recoil shy I do prefer to shoot rifles with less recoils...for me less recoil mean more rounds down range.

I'd really like to take what I learned from my first custom build and do another build but I can't decide on what I should build it around.

So, help me decide. What would you build and why if you had at least one rifle in every caliber from .22 up to .308 except a 7mm and anything bigger?

I need some inspiration so get creative.

I'm at a point where configuration has more to do with choices than caliber. This morning I'd choose a 7mm-08, tactical bolt style rifle complete with suppressor. Actually I'd go 260, but hey it is your rifle.

If you are going to build a 7mm you may as well go for the gold and do a 7 STW.

If you want a 338 that doesn't have too much recoil build a 338-06. Or, you could build a 338 RUM or EDGE and put a brake on it.

Or, it could be me talking to myself, because I would love to own all of these rifles someday :rolleyes:

Good luck!

I'm at a point where configuration has more to do with choices than caliber. This morning I'd choose a 7mm-08, tactical bolt style rifle complete with suppressor. Actually I'd go 260, but hey it is your rifle.

+1
Ether one would be a great choice (And you could size down some of the 308 brass if you have extra.

Ether cartridge is great for deer size game and can be very accurate.

J E CUSTOM

All good choices. You may look at 280AI as well. It will give you good ballistics from reasonably heavy 7mm pills, and in my experience is not a big kicker at all.

If you are going bigger than 30cal, look at a .338 Lapua, EDGE, or similar variant with a brake. Build it custom and go heavy for a rifle you can shoot waaaaaaaay out if you so choose.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. To answer some of the questions:

To be honest, I don't really have a specific purpose in mind.

I really enjoyed the build process and wanted to do another with a few modifications/improvements.

I hunt deer every year, pick up an antelope tag whenever i can (3 in last 10 years) and elk whenever drawn which is not often. So lets say a medium game hunting rifle.

I'm leaning towards a 7mm of some kind. Maybe a .284 Win or a 7WSM. I've also considered a 6.5x284.

I guess at the end of the day it's more about the exercise and component discussion/debates that make the pocess fun.

thanks again.

I built a 7 SAUM on a Stiller action and it's very accurate .3"s, and with a 26" barrel it will push the 180's up to 2900 fps. It sits in a McMillan A-3 sporter Edge stock and weighs 8.5 lbs unscoped with a Rem Varmint barrel and brake.
I picked this cartridge because of being successful at 1000 yd Benchrest matches.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.