New Weatherby vanguard question

mrbofus

Howdy,

Starting to poke around for a new rifle and been looking alot at weatherby. Probably a 30-06, standard hunting rifle up to say 500 yrds.

My question is: The weatherby Vanguard S2 list for $649, the Vanguard S2 RC is $1199, is the RC worth the extra $600? Both are MOA Guarantee?

Anyone shooting the RC?

Thanks for any input.

It has a 100% better stock It has an engraved floor plate a test Target and the target is signed by Mr, Ed Weatherby. The stock is a $200 upgrade the floor plate is probably $100-$125 the test target makes up for the rest. What do you think. It's a nice rifle and can be had for $900 if you look around.

Thanks,
I will try to find a store and handle both. Is the stock that much better than the S2?

What about compared to the Remington Long range hunter?

What I am really trying to decide is, I have an older Remington 700 that I was thinking of semi-custom build, but for $1000 I can buy a new rifle so the age old question, Build or Buy?.

Will the 700 collect dust w/ the new addition? If so, I would for sure put it to use.

Personally I would build. You have tons of options w/ the 700 and you can tweak it to be exactly what you want instead of settling for factory specs. But you may find the custom route to be too addictive and exceed your budget.

exactly why I havent started yet!

I don't see that as a bad thing, just an illustration of your passion. :D

But remember down the road you can always piece it together. It doesn't have to be done in one sitting. If this is a hunting rig, with hunting season winding down, you have all kinds of time to decide and find deals to finish it off. With all the barrels and stocks in the classifieds I'm sure you put it together within a reasonable price and time frame.

After putting a gun together I feel more satisfied and enthralled w/ the gun than if I went and picked it off the shelf. But again, that's a personal opinion.

Thanks,
I will try to find a store and handle both. Is the stock that much better than the S2?

What about compared to the Remington Long range hunter?

What I am really trying to decide is, I have an older Remington 700 that I was thinking of semi-custom build, but for $1000 I can buy a new rifle so the age old question, Build or Buy?.

The S2 stock is a ***! it's a plastic Synthetic stock with cheap rubber pads glued on the grip and for end panels like the Remington SPS, I personally am not a fan of Remington's there for I would pick most anything over a Remington. Just IMO.

what's your recommendation for an aftermarket stock? I've got the Hogue OD on my Howa and it's just... just so cushy. Makes my 30-06 feel like a .243 hha

Here's what I did this year -

buy a used Vanguard on Gunbroker complete with scope. In 30-06 you can often find them for $300 or less, with similar pricing at local gun stores.

Send the barrelled action off to be Cerakoted in black.

Toss the original stock. I happened to use a Hogue that was a take-off from a Howa, but my usual preference is a B&C Medalist. Note that the B&C on the RC model is NOT the same one that you would buy. The RC stock is the "pillar bedded" model which has aluminum inserts only at the screw holes. The Medalist you purchase has aluminum from the grip all the way to the end of the forearm, and is a much better stock.

Bed the rifle to the stock. Yes, you can bed the recoil lug using a Hogue stock.

Install a Timney trigger, and put it all together.

Total outlay is about $600, and I have an accurate all-weather rifle with a reasonable scope. Note that used scoped rifles often come with junk for optics; I waited for one with better optics that I could tolerate. It shoots factory Remington 180 Core-Lokt ammo really well, and next year I'll work up a load for it. Already have the Lapua brass in wait.

You can spend your $ on a stainless Vanguard instead of getting it Cerakoted, and probably end up at a similar price point. To use a B&C instead of a Hogue would likely cost $150 more. If you buy an S2 you might decide you like the factory trigger enough not to swap for a Timney.

There's a stainless S1 for $495 right now:
Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 REDUCED : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

$246 for a B&C at Stockys:
Bell & Carlson Medalist

$740 plus shipping for the rifle and local FFL fees; Stockys has free shipping right now. In the end I'd take a stainless with a better B&C at less $ compared to an RC model.

Dr Vette,
Very interesting approach and much appreciated info. Something to consider.

I am not set on the vanguard but intrigued.

I guess I was considering the cost of building vs buying new. Like I said I have a late 80's /early 90's R700 ADL in 30-06. This was my one and only huniting rifle for many years and it served me well. Then the buying bug set and the one and only rifle turned into needing a bigger safe. The R700 got neglected, so I thought I would bring her back to life.
The Barrel has the front and had rear sight, even though it shot pretty well, I never liked that barrel for some reason, the wood stock had war wounds on it and I started to refinish and its in the garage half finished, barreled action in the safe.
I now find myself with out an 06 and am wanting to put her back together with new barrel and stock. Doesn't have to be an 06 but just not sure what way to go here.
On a tight budget of course.

So comparing the last post of DR VEtte's Vanguard 06 at $700 ish. Is it possible to revive the old R700 for similar $$ ?

So comparing the last post of DR Vette's Vanguard 06 at $700 ish. Is it possible to revive the old R700 for similar $$ ?

Depends if you want to rebarrel. The barrel + installation could increase cost quite a bit. Barrels will likely be $300 and up, add about the same to have your action trued (which I would do if you're going this far) and the barrel installed.

The project I'm working on right now is a Rem 700 about the same age as yours. 22 inch barrel, 270 Win, purchased inexpensively by the current owner. It was part of the Cerakoting party this summer and also wears black. The 'smith put rounded screws in the holes from the sights and you can barely tell they are there. He also changed the bolt knob per the owner's request, which added $50.

It is going into a B&C Alaskan 700 BDL Mountain Rifle stock:
Bell & Carlson Alaskan Wilderness / Mountain Rifle Remington Model 700 / Model Seven (7) Stock - Right & Left Hand Available - NEW Models!

I'm currently working on prepping it, and will likely bed it this week. The barrel will be floated after I bed it by removing the pressure point in the stock.

$250 for the stock, $150 for Cerakoting and for $400 it looks like a new rifle.

Scope will be a 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest that the owner purchased.

As always, it depends how many options you want. :D The more you want to do, the more it will cost.

You can watch the classifieds and pick up a barrel and a stock. Hell I have a 30-06 700 take off barrel new I'll sell ya. A pillar bedded hogue stock can be had on ebay all day. You may or may not need truing but it is recommended. Then tune your trigger if needed.

I think if you're not too picky you can have your 700 back together for less than $700. Then upgrade per your specs when cash allows.

Rebarrel and re stock were my main objectives. But when its apart, trigger job and true the action.

I will be talking to a GS this week and get his take on it.

Ohiohunter, tell me about your barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.