Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions

While the MOA guarantee is attractive I don't think that its real world because we are never gonna shoot the ammo that the factory did to confirm. I believe that the "range certified" rifles were S-2s that shot better on average and then put in a different stock. maybe I worded that wrong but you get the gist of it. For the time being at least, Im gonna leave the stock alone. It is shooting pretty good in it stock form, like montana rifle man, when I feel the need I'm gonna restock with a quality alum. bedded stock. My s-2 is a 25-06, it shoots two different factory loads a little more than MOa, and the hand loads that I'm now working on are below moa.The trigger on my rifle is set at its lowest point which I believe is in the 3 lb range and crisp. I've heard people complain about the S-2s trigger, if you're unfortunate enough to get a bad trigger, there are affordable aftermarket ones out there to be had. What attracted me to the the S-2 was I could get a 24" barrel for a 25-06. Mine doesn't seem to be any thicker than My 700 .270, .626 at the muzzle. as for weight, with a 4x12 scope its over 8lbs. The finish on the barrel and action is nice, but not shiny, don't be expecting a finish like whats on you're A bolt. I'm very pleased with my S-2, so much so when I decide on a magnum caliber I will buy another S-2. I will try to post a pic of mine after a recent paint job

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 80
I figure that's what ill do. I'm gonna go to my local gun store pretty soon and handle everything he's got to see what tickles my fancy. Ill probably end up with a 700 just to build off of as I go and for ease of rebarreling later on down the road. However a good savage is never out of the question. ;)

I know not to expect a finish like my a-bolt and that's fine. The more matte the happier I am. Don't get me wrong, the a-bolt is beautiful and because of that I've always felt a little sad taking it hunting because it always comes back with a new scratch. That's another reason I'm safe queening the old girl. I love her and she is dang accurate, but its time to put her away so my son can get the enjoyment out of her that I did....but hopefully not the same scope eye. Haha.

I figure that's what ill do. I'm gonna go to my local gun store pretty soon and handle everything he's got to see what tickles my fancy. Ill probably end up with a 700 just to build off of as I go and for ease of rebarreling later on down the road. However a good savage is never out of the question. ;)

Sounds like a good plan. When you to to work the actions and triggers, I am certain you will find the Vanguard smoother and the trigger much better.

Good shootin

If a heavy contour is important then maybe you should consider a different caliber like the .260 or 25-06. Ive have been looking at the savage predator max 1 for the 260, and the Ruger M-77 in 25-06 had a heavier barrel, never could find an exact measurement, but it was a full pound heavier than a comparable caliber. Those are just two that I know of, anyway, just my 2cts.......E

Sounds like a good plan. When you to to work the actions and triggers, I am certain you will find the Vanguard smoother and the trigger much better.

Good shootin

I agree.

I now own three (3) Vanguards, original style, in 270 Win.

Every single one of them shoots well under an inch with cheap factory ammo. In fact, they shoot so well I'm not sure why I would even work up a handload for them as it would be very difficult to match the performance with the factory stuff. Two have taken whitetails for me with zero issues, and the other only arrived recently so hasn't been in the field.

I would not hesitate for a second to buy another Vanguard over the other two brands you mention.

And yes, I own Remingtons and Savages too.

Ive considered going with a new caliber, but I already have so much stuff built up for my 270 that it would be more effective to get one in the same caliber. I already handload for it as well. Ive been eyeing the 280, 300 win mag, and just the plain ol 308. The nice thing behind the 280 is if I ever wanted to I could rebarrel it for 280 AI and never have to change a thing. Im not sure though, still kicking around all the ideas. I know the limitations of my 270 and it has never let me down. Its hard to change things up. But who knows, change can be a good thing. Haha

I have 3 vanguards. S1 in 223. A sub-moa in 257 wby. a S2 in 243 win. All three shoot sub-moa. I think the S2 is the best value going in a decent affordable bolt rifle these days. Wonderful trigger on S2 if you understrand it is a 2 stage and has take up. But it is adjustable and very crisp. I put timney triggers on the other two. In their price range I'd go S2 all day every day. For more coin, there are more options of good rifles from rem, win, ruger, savage, Kimber, Forbes, etc. But in that price range-S2

I bought my first rifle two years ago and it was a weatherby vangaurd DBM. I really couldnt be happier. Mine is chambered in .270 Win.

20130915_102820.jpg

There are three shots on a steel plate here. Kinda hard to see but one right of my fingers and one left and the third is up to the left. The measured spread was 3.79" at 435 yrds. This was also shot with the cheap federal power shock ammo from Cabella's(18.99$ CAD). I did a proper break in procedure for my rifle and the bore was copper fowled. The first shot was a cold bore shot also. But in my opinion this rifle is great with an MOA of 0.871 still out to 435yrds i was impressed.

20131206_224027.jpg

This is a great rig. I have also begun reloading and have seen improvements in my grouping but have not taken any pictures yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.