Weatherby Vanguard S2 question

Krumfola

I know that Remington M700 actions come in either long or short.

Is the same true of a Vanguard S2? I ask because if I want to know if I could rebarrel a Vanguard S2 from 308 (the current chambering) to a 30-06.

Keith

I know that Remington M700 actions come in either long or short.

Is the same true of a Vanguard S2? I ask because if I want to know if I could rebarrel a Vanguard S2 from 308 (the current chambering) to a 30-06.

Keith

Yes, they come in short and long actions. Your 308 should be a short action so a 30-06 rebarrel would not work well.

You COULD, but you'd have to shoot it single-shot and it would be a pain in the butt, IMO.

It would be best just to get a .30-06 long action and build off of it, in all honesty.

If you are wanting good performance out of a standard short action, look into the .260 Rem Ackley Improved. Lapua makes .260 Rem brass, and all you would have to do is shoot them the first time, and out pops a freshly formed .260 AI brass. Or you could neck-down .308 Win brass and fire-form those.

I thought that would be the case with a short action cartridge but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the info about the 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.