Weatherby Vanguard

The Vanguard/Howa rifles are fine rifles with a lot of features that some add to the others. The extractor Savage uses is a POC compared to the V/H. The one piece forged bolt with its 90 degree cocking piece that doesn't force the bolt to the top of the action at the rear. Also operates a lot smoother than a Savage. If the barrels weren't easily changed on the Savage, they would not be very popular and that is the only area where the Savage has an edge. Fit and function, Savage is a bottom feeder in my book. I own and shoot both.

Only issue with a build on these is metric threads on the barrel. My lathes aren't set up to cut metric. I'v been told it can be done but i dont know how to do that. The bottom metal screws are metric also.
My lathe isn't capable of cutting metric threads in the way it cuts sae threads but it can be done. With metric threads the half nuts have to stay engaged throughout the entire threading. They can be disengaged but must be reengaged in exactly the same place on the threading gauge. I've cut several on my Grizzly.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.
Why is there no love for Weatherby Vanguards?
Everybody always talks about Remington actions or Tikkas and Savages and a lot of other rifles.
I don't understand why people don't talk about Vanguards. I have 18 firearms. My most accurate is a whetherby Vanguard 2 .243. it seems the machining on them is really good. The triggers on the 2s are decent. The actions are solid. You can get them and buy decent stalks.
Just curious of people's opinions

I know Howa makes them and it's the same action. I don't have a Howa so not sure if everything like trigger and barrel are the same
By far the best guns in their price range...Howa and Vanguard's both!

My vanguard build. 28" brux in 300 win mag. Shot good before the new barrel until it didn't. Hence the new barrel. Love this gun. The reason I think more people don't build off them is gunsmiths complain about the metric threads, and the aftermarket support is not as available as the r700 and savages.

Attachments

• 878C4346-F72F-4623-821A-1BDD5AA53983.jpeg
    878C4346-F72F-4623-821A-1BDD5AA53983.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
I had a Howa 7 mag when they first came out and it was a dog. I spent money on a stock and a trigger trying to get it a little better. It never shot more than 1.5 MOA groups, and they were usually much worse with hunting ammo. Hours, and a small fortune spent hand loading, and I decided to cut my losses.

The reticle in the scope looked like it fit a .270 130 grain ballistic curve just about perfectly. I came across a vanguard in .270 at a pawn shop and it looked new. I swapped out the barreled actions, dropping the .270 in a B&C with Timney trigger and sold the 7 mag for a profit.

My .270 is a MOA gun and that reticle is close enough to keep it on a 10 in gong at 600.
I don't load for it much. It shoots whatever 130 gr junk is on the shelf to about the same POA. It has become the gun I loan to people or a back up for casual hunting. I just don't have to think about it.
It is the epitome of practical...and that is why I don't like it at all!

My Tikkas an 700s have been better shooters overall, but I like the Vanguard's action.
Someday it will be a .338-06.
Who is everyone using to work on these? I didn't think many smiths wanted to bother with them.
Our shop works on them... We have done several.. Great actions to build off of.

I'm just getting into hobby machining with an Australian made Hercus 260. These are a copy of a Southbend and May have interchangeable parts.
There were Southbend 9" and the later 260 starting in the 70's
Mine is a fairly late model and used in schools.
It is a Metric machine but there is a set of gears available to do imperial threading. This much I have found for sure but , well I've not cut a thread yet.
You can actually buy a tap and die to cut barrel threads and tru them on the lathe but again it's out of my league.
The Hercus Guru in Australia said you don't need a dial thread chaser if you reverse each pass on threading, I hope this helps

Yi up probably need a lathe with a spider on the rear of the headstock to centre it properly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.