Old Weatherby Vanguard

willtim

47 years ago I bought a 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard. It is stamped " Made in Japan". Years ago someone told me it is a Howa action. However, it looks nothing like today's Howa action. It more resembles a Mauser type action. Can someone enlighten me? Thank you.

The Howa/Vanguard action is a derivative of the Mauser action, so it would not surprise me if an older one looked more like a Mauser. There's still more than a passing resemblance if you know where to look. And yes, Howa has always manufactured the Vanguard action.

Any chance you can post a photo of your rifle?

WT, the Howa action is well worth a rebarrel. A friend has a very old Vanguard in 300 WM. The bolt shroud is quite different than the contemporary models.

The bolt shroud is at the back of the bolt outside of the action when closed. It doen't rotate

Thanks. There is a rectangular bar that parallels the entire length of the bolt that does not rotate as you close the bolt. When open it is in line with one of the lugs. Is that the shroud?

Right by the safety
1604366773905.png

This is a late model Vanguard bolt shroud, I don't have access to a shroud off a original vintage Vanguard. The silver part with SUF on it. This shroud is attached to the end of the bolt assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.