Weatherby Vanguard Quick Questions

jmd025

I got a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 new in the box. Just got around to riggin it up and was wondering if anyone has any input on the Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks. I like the looks of the bedding, wondering if the barrel channel is tight fitting or will allow for floating with no work? Also, looking for a trigger that allows for working the bolt with the safety on.. Which one does that for the Howa action? Rifle Basix?

So far I've only hung a inexpensive Nikon i had (3-9x50) laying around with a DNZ game reaper, and stocked up on ammo for the sight in.

Another cheap fun rig im buildinggun):rolleyes:

The Medalist with the full aluminum works great. It will have the pads near the end to support the barrel, but these are easily removed. Or, you may find that when you center the barrel and level the ejection port as you prep for bedding that the barrel is high enough that you don't need to sand them out.

Yes, you will still want to bed it into the B&C. If you do not, you will definitely have to remove the pads that support the barrel if you intend to have the barrel free floating.

Here is a great thread on bedding:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1167022

Be sure to put about 3 layers of tape on the rear surface of the action where it meets the stock. You want the action to be able to move rearward a tiny bit in case the stock flexes. You don't want it tight here.

The Timney trigger will change your safety from the factory 2 position unit to a 3 position unit, allowing you to move the bolt with the safety still in the On position. It is by far the most popular trigger for the Vanguard.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.