New to the site, advice needed

Appreciate the advice gentlemen. I am going to get the bedding job done and then try to work up the best load for it. Then I will tinker with the headspacing to see what that will do for it. Am I on the right track so far?

Working with a factory rifle, here are the things that you could/should do to maximize accuracy potential....

1. Re-crown - This is the most overlooked item in creating accuracy. The bullet and its gases must exit the barrel evenly from the bore.

2. Adjust Trigger - most factory triggers are set ~5lbs. Have the trigger adjusted to 3lbs or less. Even better, replace it with a quality aftermarket trigger like a Jewel or Timeny.

3. Lap Locking Lugs - This allows the bolt lugs to be in complete contact with the receiver locking lugs. Upon firing the only thing that stops the bolt from rearward movement is the bolt lugs contacting the receiver locking lugs. Upon firing if the bolt lugs are not parallel to each other, with complete even contact against the receiver locking lugs, one side will stop before the other creating a rocking effect which pushes the case off to one side, affecting accuracy

4. Full Action Bed - which you have or will do.

When you say "tinker with headspace" I assume you really mean seating depth. Adjusting seating depth is something you can do to affect accuracy.

Yes sir, bed it first as well as install a good trigger-- Jewell. The X-Mark Pro trigger is trash. Scope it with a Leupold Mk 4 or a Nightforce NXS on a 20 MOA mount and you have a very nice rifle that will surprise you with its accuracy.
The Sierra bullets-- 168 SMK for target and the 165 SBT and 165 HPBT for hunting are great.

Picked up that 5r in 300 win this morning and it has a rifle basics trigger. Any opinions on them. Feels pretty good. No travel at all

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.