New to the site and a quick question to start off.

harv3589

I live in Alberta so I use my rifle for a large variety of game and conditions...what are you thoughts on the 7mm mag and its effective range...can it be used as a long range gun?

Currently I have a Rem 700 BDL DM stainless/synthetic w/Leupold VXII 3x9 40mm and have been shooting 150 gr Swift Sirroccos with great success.

Any input on how better bullets/loads as i just getting into reloading?

Thanks,
Rob

Harv welcome to the forum first off!
The 7 rem mag is a good caliber for most any game with the exception of the larger bears in my opinion. Long range out to 1000 yards shouldn't be a problem with your scirrocco's but a tad heavier would be better for some extra knockdown at the longer ranges. That said the 150 should take care of anything inside of 700 yards. I would possibly look into the 160 accubond and see if you can get it to group good in your rig for that little extra on the loong shots. The scirrocco is a great bullet but the little extra weight will pay off on big whitetails and larger game at extended ranges.

To answer your question YES, I do consider the 7mm rem mag to be a long range cartrige. However it depends on the type of game that you intend to be hunting as to how long it will hold it's own next to the 30 cal bullets. If you are talking Moose size game it definitely will be a much shorter range gun than if you are hunting deer. So the size of your big game makes a HUGE difference in the range you will effectively be able to kill an animal. However if I was looking at long range work in general I would look at the heavy high BC bullets such as Berger 180 (some argue this bullets hunting capabilities), SMK 175 etc. Although the bonded core bullets like the scirrocio's and accubonds work well too.

Most of all it will boil down to what you can hit with the rifle because the shot placement it is CRITICAL when you start talking about the big game you got in you part of the world. So have fun with that gun and don't bother thinking about getting a bigger gun. Have fun with it and good luck!

The 7mm Mag is a great long range round. I used a 300WinMag for years and loved its on game performance. However, when I purchased my 7mm I never looked back. I wouldn't think twice about its capabilities on deer out to 800 yards with the right loads. I load the 162SST over a max charge of R25. I tried the 150scirrocos one deer season a few years back and liked them. Two shots(20yards,428yards)-two dead deer.I even tried the 168SMK one year and shot a doe at a little over 100 yards. I hit her behind the shoulder and she ran about 30 yards,stopped and looked at me. I thought I missed and hit her again. She ran around in a big circle and fell over and kicked for a minute. Both bullets zipped clean through and didn't seem to do much damage. I'm not saying they will not kill(any bullet in the right spot will kill), if I would have hit her in the shoulder or a rib going in she probably wouldn't have moved much if at all. Where I hunt I need to put them down quick or they may be stollen!!!!! So I stick to bullets with better terminal performance. The 162SST has a better b.c. than the scirroco and is ALLOT cheaper. It even shoots better in my rifle. The on game performance-on deer- has been second to none. I do however plan on using the 300gr smk in the 2006 deer season when Kiby finishes my 338/300ultra. I leave for Iraq June 15 and won't get to use it this year. Doesn't that just suck?!

What a coincedence I leave for that part of the world @ 15 june as well. Where do you live maybe we can get some shootin in before we go? I am in the athens GA area.

Another Canuck!!Welcome. I am in the OK valley, BC. I have just started using a 7RM and SST/AMax 162gr bullets.

For me, I will hunt in areas of big mule deer, moose and black bear. My hunting style involves some longer shots so want the extra mass of the 7mm bullets. My orig rig was a 6.5-06. Awesome but am concerned about hitting power beyond 700yds.

I too am finding really good results with the hornady bullets and Re25/H1000. In prepped brass and warm loads, I have consistent 1/2 MOA at 180yds. This from a factory Savage 110. Not bad at all.

Will start LR shooting soon. Big down side is that barrel heats up very quickly.

I would suggest you look at the SST's/Amax bullets especially if you intend on shooting further more often then close. At 3000fps, either bullet will hold together at 100yds but will offer much better terminal performance way out there. Simple reason, the bullets are easier to expand.

At 500yds, your impact velocity is around 2200 to 2300fps. You don't want a tough bullet at these velocities.

Jerry

I would agree with everyone else. Try the 162 gr hornadys, 160 Accubond and 168 SMK. A 3X9 is really a versatile scope that allows quick easy target acquisition at close ranges and will get you to about 800 yds. Beyond that you might want to consider some more magnification but you should evaluate the frequency of close shoots versus long shoots and make sure you do not get too much low end magnification.

d-a......what's your e-mail address?

I got better speeds with Retumbo but better accuracy with R25. My 7mm is also a Savage, but is the 112 w/a 26inch bull, stainless, fluted barrel. My buddies joked about my "SALVAGE" until I showed them what a 450yard, 1inch group (from a factory rifle) looked like.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts